IMG_20171207_215547.jpg
IMG_20171207_215554.jpg
IMG_20171207_215607.jpg
IMG_20171207_215619.jpg
IMG_20171207_215633.jpg
IMG_20171207_215639.jpg
IMG_20171207_221004.jpg
Quick comparison to the B&W PX.

I have been using h6 g2 being driven by a DragonFly Red via an iPad Pro 10.5, but got tired of how cumbersome it was, especially with the Apple Camera kit adapter. I also had a jitterbug in line at one point, but it was simply LOL ridiculous for public (airplane is my primary use case) so I had to drop it. I bought a pair of PX to see if I could add to the convenience factor, noise cancellation (I fly a lot) plus my new Essential Phone has done away with the headphone jack so I started thinking that I might as well just accept wireless is the future. I was really bought in.

I am happy to answer questions, but the short is that there is no comparison between these rigs. When the PX is wireless, it is not even in the same zip code as the B&O/ Dragonfly. No audiophile adjectives needed to describe the differences. The PX does have the ability to be driven by a wired connection, but I still hear a significant veil, not really close. The other thing that I learned (which is probably common knowledge) is that noise cancellation introduces huge compromises. I am really questioning this technology in its current form.

Add to this the h6 are lower profile, look better (in my opinion) and are far more comfortable and there really isn't much of a decision to make here. I do wonder how close the h9 gets to the heaven a no compromise wireless h6 would be?

I may have been expecting too much, but I grew up thinking that B&O was form before function, and never really offered the best bang for the buck in terms of sound quality. But the more experience I get with h6, it seems that we are getting the best of all worlds. This is a spectacular sounding, incredibly comfortable, great looking headphone.

For now, I am forced to accept the wires and appreciate the h6 as being an exceptional headphone!

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #2,001 of 2,875

I have been using h6 g2 being driven by a DragonFly Red via an iPad Pro 10.5, but got tired of how cumbersome it was, especially with the Apple Camera kit adapter. I also had a jitterbug in line at one point, but it was simply LOL ridiculous for public (airplane is my primary use case) so I had to drop it. I bought a pair of PX to see if I could add to the convenience factor, noise cancellation (I fly a lot) plus my new Essential Phone has done away with the headphone jack so I started thinking that I might as well just accept wireless is the future. I was really bought in.

I am happy to answer questions, but the short is that there is no comparison between these rigs. When the PX is wireless, it is not even in the same zip code as the B&O/ Dragonfly. No audiophile adjectives needed to describe the differences. The PX does have the ability to be driven by a wired connection, but I still hear a significant veil, not really close. The other thing that I learned (which is probably common knowledge) is that noise cancellation introduces huge compromises. I am really questioning this technology in its current form.

Add to this the h6 are lower profile, look better (in my opinion) and are far more comfortable and there really isn't much of a decision to make here. I do wonder how close the h9 gets to the heaven a no compromise wireless h6 would be?

I may have been expecting too much, but I grew up thinking that B&O was form before function, and never really offered the best bang for the buck in terms of sound quality. But the more experience I get with h6, it seems that we are getting the best of all worlds. This is a spectacular sounding, incredibly comfortable, great looking headphone.

For now, I am forced to accept the wires and appreciate the h6 as being an exceptional headphone!

May i ask which aftermarket cable you use with the B&O?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #2,005 of 2,875

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I've been tempted by the B&W PX but ended up ordering a B&O H6 2nd gen for a really good price. I am still waiting to receive it, but was thinking of pairing it with a Dragonfly, either Red or Black. Could you please comment on your experience of the Dragonfly Red with the H6?

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #2,006 of 2,875
The only other dac I tried was an Explorer2, which I learned the hard way draws too much power to run off of an iPad, making it not portable. I did want something that could support MQA, so the DragonFly was a natural choice.

Ultimately, what I like about the h6 is that it is extremely balanced, and very transparent. It offers a sophisticated, refined sound that I typically associate with lots of $$$. I moved from M2s mostly out of boredom and aesthetics, not really expecting the h6 to be sonically superior. However, the h6 is.

The Red does nothing to disturb the h6s virtues. It is a touch more bright than the explorer, or the explorer is a little darker sounding if the idea of "bright" turns you off. It sips battery, I don't notice any acceleration in power utilization when using it which could have been a deal breaker.

I have read that the black sounds nearly as good, but uses a little bit more power and handles volume in the analog domain. The red can also serve duty in a full blown high end system in a pinch if necessary. For these reasons, spending an extra $100 to just do the red was a no brainer for me. For others, it could very well make sense to save the $100.

I was really not expecting the h6/red to trounce the PX, but it did. Again, maybe my expectation of the PX was out of line.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #2,007 of 2,875
It's interesting to see folks describe the H6 as transparent. My feeling is that the H6 always sound good with everything and sound like themselves with everything, with relatively little to be lost by listening directly from a phone. Which comes with the trade-off that they aren't the most revealing of detail.

Dec 8, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #2,008 of 2,875
It's interesting to see folks describe the H6 as transparent. My feeling is that the H6 always sound good with everything and sound like themselves with everything, with relatively little to be lost by listening directly from a phone. Which comes with the trade-off that they aren't the most revealing of detail.

I usually use mine straight out of various DAPs, even my little Ruizu A50. I don't listen to anything directly from a phone. That would be hard to to with my landline:) I purposely choose to not have a smartphone. If I did have one I would not want it interrupting my music with calls and texts. My needs are well satisfied with daps, tablets, laptops, pcs....and a real camera.

Dec 8, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #2,009 of 2,875
I usually use mine straight out of various DAPs, even my little Ruizu A50. I don't listen to anything directly from a phone. That would be hard to to with my landline:) I purposely choose to not have a smartphone. If I did have one I would not want it interrupting my music with calls and texts. My needs are well satisfied with daps, tablets, laptops, pcs....and a real camera.

Dedicated devices certainly have their place. I don't see a conflict my smartphone and my 4x5 field camera : )

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #2,010 of 2,875
Dedicated devices certainly have their place. I don't see a conflict my smartphone and my 4x5 field camera : )

I just seriously have no desire nor need for a smartphone... none. So I guess the money was spent on more headphones... lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back