Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Jan 29, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #1,561 of 2,875
The cable on Amazon makes little or no difference to the stock cable apart from not having the controls on. I ended up trying the lavricablrs silver which is much more transparent though much more expensive.

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #1,563 of 2,875
The cable on Amazon makes little or no difference to the stock cable apart from not having the controls on. I ended up trying the lavricablrs silver which is much more transparent though much more expensive.

It does, I can clearly hear the difference but only with Mojo or DragonFly (little bit less).

But when driven straight from the phone - no difference whatsoever.

You guys actually made me redo my A/B with stock vs Amazon :)

The only thing that comes to my mind is that maybe Amazon cables are not "equally created" - as they may as well be hand made and if so, then this may be the reason why I can hear the difference while you can't.

I'm still waiting for my other braided transparent OFC cable from Aliexpress.

---------------------------

@lifeisbeautiful
As for the DragonFly and H6 combo: I have DragonFly Red here and if you're asking for general thoughts, then DragonFly makes difference with all quality headphones, not only because of good amp but also thanks to superior DAC inside. So DragonFly will always make a difference vs plain device output even if you're using very easy to drive headphones (like IEMs).

You'll hear more details, music will be more dynamic - just read any DragonFly review :)

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #1,564 of 2,875
It does, I can clearly hear the difference but only with Mojo or DragonFly (little bit less).

But when driven straight from the phone - no difference whatsoever.

You guys actually made me redo my A/B with stock vs Amazon :)

The only thing that comes to my mind is that maybe Amazon cables are not "equally created" - as they may as well be hand made and if so, then this may be the reason why I can hear the difference while you can't.

I'm still waiting for my other braided transparent OFC cable from Aliexpress.

---------------------------

@lifeisbeautiful
As for the DragonFly and H6 combo: I have DragonFly Red here and if you're asking for general thoughts, then DragonFly makes difference with all quality headphones, not only because of good amp but also thanks to superior DAC inside. So DragonFly will always make a difference vs plain device output even if you're using very easy to drive headphones (like IEMs).

You'll hear more details, music will be more dynamic - just read any DragonFly review :)
I tried to believe this. But I think like you mentioned it's a hit or miss. Did you find any improvement over a period of time? Or out of the "package"(!) it sounded better? Mine sounds less focused, vaguely imaged, less dynamic, less airy than the stock. a little loose low bass is an excitement killer. However if someone likes thicker bodied sound they might like this. Mine sounds fuller, but it's has lot the fast pace which was the main reason I picked the h6 over the other headphones. Though stock sounds thin bodied, instruments hardly cross their lines. And they are more neutral, and energetic. By the way I used the JDS c5D which may not be the best amp out here with Tidal HiFi from an iPhone. I wIsh it get better over time as it's only run some 7 hours in total.

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #1,566 of 2,875

That's what I did too.  Figure I might as well spend the money on a really nice cable, as I can use it on basically any headphone I get in the future as well.  Unless it's stupid Sennheiser and their proprietary connector.  LOL.

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #1,568 of 2,875
I tried to believe this. But I think like you mentioned it's a hit or miss. Did you find any improvement over a period of time?

No improvement over a period of time noticed :)
It definetely is better than stock, but it doesn't improve with time. Having some background in eletronics I had yet to hear a "cable burn-in" - a sceptic here. I know that headphones burn-in works because it is really noticeable especially when doing the burn nightly with morning checks with other set used as a reference point (just to be sure that the change in SQ doesnt come from ears and brain adaptation). Anyway, getting back to the point - the Amazon cable is better than stock from day one till now, and it doesnt get better or worse.

Or out of the "package"(!) it sounded better?

Yes the new cable was better straight out of envelope :)
Mojo has two parallel 3.5 outputs, H6 has two inputs and this makes blind testing pure joy.

Mine sounds less focused, vaguely imaged, less dynamic, less airy than the stock. a little loose low bass is an excitement killer. However if someone likes thicker bodied sound they might like this.

Nothing like this here - Im a big fan of detail and clarity - my absolute headphone king is my Sennheiser IE800 IEM. For emergiencies when I have problems with one of my ear canals I use modded AKG K7XX (all 4 foam filters removed, bass ports open, "fizelina" (google photos) o-rings installed). Both of them are airy, crisp and detailed headphones.
If my cable was anything like yours (less focused, less dynamic, less airy) then it would end up in "cables and wires for emergency soldering" bin :D

Mine sounds fuller, but it's has lot the fast pace which was the main reason I picked the h6 over the other headphones. Though stock sounds thin bodied, instruments hardly cross their lines. And they are more neutral, and energetic. By the way I used the JDS c5D which may not be the best amp out here with Tidal HiFi from an iPhone.

My setup is FLAC's from Neutron Player directly streamed (direct USB driver) to Mojo (connected through Jitterbug) and maybe it has something to do with differences that we hear. Anyway, it looks to me from your decription that we are looking for the same things in music. I also like to have dynamic sound without veils and clearly separated, detailed instruments.

I wIsh it get better over time as it's only run some 7 hours in total.

I really think that there may be something wrong with your particular piece :frowning2:

Now the good stuff. FINALLY, the second cable is here:

It took almost two months but the second cable, OFC transparent from Aliexpress made it here.
I've waited till late evening (silence in the streets, silence in home) to to A/B once again - this time against the Amazon one (the one in black sleeve).

New cable is way softer, almost no microfonics - feels nice in hand but there is one fkp - the plugs are so small amd short that once plugged in H6 it has to be pulled by the cord to be taken out. The good thing is I don't think I will ever need to pull it out. It has a very delicate look though I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to tear it apart with all my strength.

The sound is noticeably better even than with Amazon cable: separation gets even better, clarity improves, highs have more air and space to them. Bass stays nice and controlled, I cant really notice difference against Amazon one.

The biggest change is the level of detail and clarity, airiness. Sounds come effortless, fast and strong. It is almost K7XX with my mods level of detail.

So I can wholeheartedly recommend this one.

BTW in case if anyone would wonder: my basic track for testing nowadays is Archive - Again in FLAC. The strings at the beginning (on the left) and vibrations in singers voice (or lack of them) are the first things that change with cables and headphones. My current reference king of the hill is Jitterbug->Mojo->IE800. Ihave yet to find something that sounds better (within reasonable price range).

(Well, that was a long one).

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #1,569 of 2,875
No improvement over a period of time noticed :)
It definetely is better than stock, but it doesn't improve with time. Having some background in eletronics I had yet to hear a "cable burn-in" - a sceptic here. I know that headphones burn-in works because it is really noticeable especially when doing the burn nightly with morning checks with other set used as a reference point (just to be sure that the change in SQ doesnt come from ears and brain adaptation). Anyway, getting back to the point - the Amazon cable is better than stock from day one till now, and it doesnt get better or worse.
Yes the new cable was better straight out of envelope :)
Mojo has two parallel 3.5 outputs, H6 has two inputs and this makes blind testing pure joy.
Nothing like this here - Im a big fan of detail and clarity - my absolute headphone king is my Sennheiser IE800 IEM. For emergiencies when I have problems with one of my ear canals I use modded AKG K7XX (all 4 foam filters removed, bass ports open, fleece o-rings installed). Both of them are airy, crisp and detailed headphones.
If my cable was anything like yours (less focused, less dynamic, less airy) then it would end up in "cables and wires for emergency soldering" bin :D
My setup is FLAC's from Neutron Player directly streamed (direct USB driver) to Mojo (connected through Jitterbug) and maybe it has something to do with differences that we hear. Anyway, it looks to me from your decription that we are looking for the same things in music. I also like to have dynamic sound without veils and clearly separated, detailed instruments.
I really think that there may be something wrong with your particular piece :frowning2:

Now the good stuff. FINALLY, the second cable is here:

It took almost two months but the second cable, OFC transparent from Aliexpress made it here.
I've waited till late evening (silence in the streets, silence in home) to to A/B once again - this time against the Amazon one (the one in black sleeve).

New cable is way softer, almost no microfonics - feels nice in hand but there is one fkp - the plugs are so small amd short that once plugged in H6 it has to be pulled by the cord to be taken out. The good thing is I don't think I will ever need to pull it out. It has a very delicate look though I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to tear it apart with all my strength.

The sound is noticeably better even than with Amazon cable: separation gets even better, clarity improves, highs have more air and space to them. Bass stays nice and controlled, I cant really notice difference against Amazon one.

The biggest change is the level of detail and clarity, airiness. Sounds come effortless, fast and strong. It is almost K7XX with my mods level of detail.

So I can wholeheartedly recommend this one.

BTW in case if anyone would wonder: my basic track for testing nowadays is Archive - Again in FLAC. The strings at the beginning (on the left) and vibrations in singers voice (or lack of them) are the first things that change with cables and headphones. My current reference king of the hill is Jitterbug->Mojo->IE800. Ihave yet to find something that sounds better (within reasonable price range).

(Well, that was a long one).
I have given it enough time, as I don't need beoplay at home and for all outside scenario it fails as it's thicker, not flexible and microphonics is loud to a disturbing level. I tried walking around the block with it, and the stock is much more comfortable. But since there is no distortion I assume it's working fine. "Personally" it doesn't work. Sonically it's boosting the mids a bit, so tonally it sounds different. I think I hear more underlying details with the new cable, but on a-b it's the same but presented with a bit forwardness in mids. And all I think I hear extra are in this region. The lowest bass extended I can hear is from the stock, but midbass has more body on the new cable. But I think it's a normal thing to increase the width of the soundobjects when they gather more body. But,what I felt is, it's killing the "lines" for an object , u know it's there in that place, but it's not clear where the object ends sideways. But , some people may like it. Not completely unlikeable though, as with everything I said :) "we must pick our poison".

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #1,570 of 2,875
I have given it enough time, as I don't need beoplay at home and for all outside scenario it fails as it's thicker, not flexible and microphonics is loud to a disturbing level. I tried walking around the block with it, and the stock is much more comfortable.

100% agreement here - also on the poison part :D

Feb 4, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #1,572 of 2,875
Can you share a link to it?

That's the link to the ali store, he doesn't seem to have anything listed now though I think you can message him directly and they also have a web shop named "lunashop".

Let me know if the link works as this is the first time I tried to share it from an app on my phone.

http://s.aliexpress.com/eyInInmY
(from AliExpress Android)

Feb 4, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #1,573 of 2,875

That's a screenshot of the item with price from my order history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back