1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by macedonianhero, Jan 26, 2014.
First

Back
93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102
104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113
Next

Last
  1. Bubblejuice

I'm sorry, but I think i'd have to disagree here on two points (one which is completely subjective). 

1) I found, after ABing both gen 1 and gen 2 for the past few days, that the Gen 2 bass is a lot more forward than Gen 1 (It doesn't necessarily have more bass, because the Gen 1 can really drop when need to, so long as your environment isn't too loud). This does mean that, though it does not "flood" into other frequencies, it does in fact veil them slightly on the Gen 2. Now this is talking about veiling already incredibly detailed and clear headphones, so their still a cut above the rest when it comes to clarity. But I noticed on the Gen 1 that the vocals were the star, and on the Gen 2, the bass and the vocals are having some kind of duet. They share the front spot, making the vocals seem a little less detailed, as if covered by a slight haze, even if they may not be. Maybe more burn in time might fix this. The fact that the Gen 2 can go louder probably adds to this effect too.

I think that the bass in the Gen 1 is far nicer to listen to if you are using these indoors. If you are using these as portable cans, then you're better off with the more forward bass on the gen 2 as it will be pushed slightly back by ambient noise anyways. It's not a huge difference, but to me it was clearly noticeable. 

2) I'm pretty sure both Gen 1 and Gen 2 have the same frequency range (20-22,000hz), so I don't think either can reach more or less notes than the other. I think the difference is in the forwardness of each frequency and in the quantity of bass heard.

However, I do agree that the Gen 2 is the overall safer and more versatile option. They both sound amazing, but they sound different enough to be considered different headphones. The Gen 2 will give you a more consistent experience in different environments and with different amps and what not. The Gen 1, though personally my favorite sound, is fairly dependent on ambient noise (especially lower frequencies like the rumble from the road when you are in your car, etc).

2. plsvn

never tried Gen 1 but I totally agree with your findings on Gen 2

3. k4syx

No problem with disagreeing here mate :)
    I've never had a chance to A/B them, I was listening to Gen1 first and then a couple of days later to Gen 2 so I can only say that to me there was more lowest bass on Gen 2. I have some tracks with very low bass notes rumbling in the background like a distant thunder and to my ears Gen 2 was able to get a tad bit lower than Gen 1 (compared from memory). Same goes for highs - Gen 2 sounded to me clearer and brighter at the high end of spectrum.

I think that we should also remember that we are probably using different devices to power them. When home, I am using them with Mojo, when on the move with Astell&Kern XB10.

I still am waiting for replacement cables to get here, when I'll have them I'll try to do some comparisions A/B/C with stock one. Some guys here were saying that with proper cable the low end on these cans gets even better. We'll see (hear? :))

As for the freq. ranges I really do not believe in either data from the boxes - the numbers are to round and for me it is more like a rough estimate than measured data. But you may be right that the case is not really freq range but emphasis that was put on both ends.

4. Bubblejuice
    Yeah, you're right about that. I test them with my O2 amp on my PC, directly to my PC, from my iphone, and my O2 connected to my iphone. Also from some other amps, but they weren't specifically for headphones. So your Chord may be giving your H6s extra mojo :p

I also tested both with the Gen 2 stock cable, the cable from my MH40s with an adapter, and a Plus Sound EXO cable I got with the Gen 2s.
    I haven't noticed any real... increase in quality, range, or clarity with the high end cable to be completely honest. But the cable is nicer overall so I just use that one more often. Also, i'm not much of a believer in the whole cables improve sound quality enough to be audibly better, so I may be a little biased on that end.

You're probably right, but I would think the company would be the first to boast better frequency ranges on their headphones between generations (maybe i'm wrong about that).They do rumble a little more generally, but that's from the forwardness of the bass and the volume. The Gen 1s can rumble almost as much when the right songs are played (this only applies in doors though).

I like Afterglow by Phalaeh, or Why so serious by Han Zimmer (around 3:23 mark).

5. Dexter22
    I Feel my gen 1 sounding quite good with the hifimediy's 9018 dac directly. It has lot of power to drive the h6 without struggling. But wish it had a bit more speed. Separation and level of details is already good. On a budget, if somebody wants a small dac amp combo to power the h6 well, I can recommend it. I don't think anything under 100€, $ can make it sound this decent. It has a lot more air in treble and details/separation/imaging compared to the iPhone 5 I have. I am getting a lighting to otg this week, just to see if it becomes a good travel gear.(though may look a little weird). I am not completely satisfied with the xduoo x3 directly powering the headphone, as now I find the treble a bit harsh with that.

6. lifeisbeautiful
    Cross posting here:
    Anyone compared H6 and B&W P7 wireless? I could only find the old wired P7 in the bestbuy stores locally.

7. mikeb3408
    Hi, I currently have both and intend to return one. The P7 Wireless certainly has more bass than the H6, but I still find the the H6 puts our a good amount of bass when it needs to. The P7 Wireless has a fuller and warmer sound while the H6 is a bit more airy and crisp with a larger sound stage to me.

I love the fact that the P7 can be wireless but I find myself leaning towards the H6 because I slightly prefer the sound and they are so much more comfortable. The H6 is so light you will forget you are wearing anything.

8. Bubblejuice
    x

9. Bubblejuice
    x

10. Dexter22

Some days back, I had a doubt whether the h6 was changing the sound with aging, I can confirm it does. I have been using the h6 for a year now. After two months or so, I got another pair from my date of purchase and kept it in the wardrobe( got for my wife, she hardly used it. I had run around some 24 hours of pink noise in that pair, and then was hardly used ) . Today I got it out and compared with my older one. The stongly suspect the sound change is due to the change in ear cup shape. So, I m just thinking the ear cup shape plays a big role in having that tuned sound out of the box. *** I liked the newer pair more ***

11. Bubblejuice

Where would you find replacement ear pads?

I can't find any on their websites for the life of me. The only ones I can find on google are some Rapha ones priced at $100, and i'd rather buy a new set at that price point. My LCD-2s pads can be bought for $60-80 and they are huge.

12. Dexter22
    DId more A-Bing on this over the last two days. I felt the the razor sharp imaging which i liked on h6's are gone on the old used one.  Basically as the H6's goes old, the drivers are getting near to your head, and the imaging is getting worse. while playing some songs, I tried pulling the drivers a little away from my head, and it sounded like the newer pair. I will try to reshape maually the earpads to see if it sounds better. I am expecting, some people to disagree on this, but I had using this headphone almost all the time the whole last year at work and on way to work, and way back to work! I expect most other headfi'ers who owns h6 has other primary headphones , and their h6's may not have aged fast like mine. But, I feel, if somebody is looking for a used pair of H6's, I think they should think again! 

13. mrmorpheuz
    Hi! I have skimmed through almost the whole thread and ended up a little confused about the differences between gen 1 and gen 2.

The one thing that seems to be consistent is that gen 2 does have a little more bass. As there's no way for me where I live to listen to either or even compare them, I'm wondering how the H6 (and their two generations) compare to the two headphones mentioned below. I added my personal listening impression of these and would be extremely grateful if someone could recommend the 1. or 2. gen (or maybe none) according to that. I can't really tell what "more bass" in the 2nd gen means, without having any reference point.

My preferences, very briefly, are: I hate boomy over-exaggerated bass in headphones or earphones (I'm thinking about consumer oriented ones, and some of those in-ears out there), but I enjoy a little "loudness", especially because I usually try to listen at not too high volumes. I intend to use them for everything (music, movies and games) and everywhere: at home, at the office, and during my commute in public transport, so a closed and light design is a must anyway. I will use them without a headphone amp, connected to the computer or the smartphone.

These are the headphone I have as reference:

- Sennheiser HD650: These are borrowed just for now and pretty worn... at least 7 or 8 years old. Very neutral to my ears, sometimes somehow boring and definitely lacking "punch". I enjoyed the softer highs and very natural sounding voices, the comfort (wow) and "openness". I ran them on my computer, comfortable volume was about 30-50%, could be that the computer doesn't have enough power to drive them properly, because bass-wise there was something missing.

- Shure SRH440: These are mine. I have owned them for a few years now and they haven't been used much because I find them terribly uncomfortable after an hour or so, and as carry-ons they are useless. Sound-wise, I find them more fun than the HD650s. They seem to have more punch, and can be incredibly "clear". But: the highs are definitely too harsh in some songs, I would prefer a somewhat warmer or softer sound than that. I like the bass a lot on these, it's never boomy, always tight but still "there" when it needs to be. I'd really like the sound of these, if they weren't so overly bright. I always thought I don't mind a little treble, but that's too much.

Ideally I'd like my headphones to be as comfortable as the HD650s, with the same openness and soundstage, the SRH440's punch and "drive", but a little warmer than those. From what I have read so far, the H6 could come very close to that (for closed, portable headphones and at that price), but which generation, or does it even matter? 

Thanks!

14. k4syx

Thats Gen 2 for me.

Meanwhile, I got my Amazon/Ebay cable everyone recommends at the beginning of the thread and in H6 Amazon comments (the one with black sleeve, red cable inside and screw-on adapter). I got it from ebay - same Amazon seller but for some strange reason while he doesnt ship to Poland via Amazon, he does via Ebay purchases (and it is cheaper on ebay too).

Im stil wating for the other one ordered from Ali (transparent/OFC).

The Mojo is good for A/B testing because I can plug both cables at the same time and just change them quickly at the headphone port.

My impressions so far (YMMV):

New cable definetely improves sound with right sources: the bass, though never boomy and veiling, gets even tighter control and power while the highs are clearer, "crispier". The separation gets better. So yes, there is a difference that I can hear myself. I like it. Money well spent.

The problem is that without proper drive that SQ difference is neglible: I can hear it with Mojo (yeees, nice!) with DragonFly Red (mmm its still here, worth the price), XB10 not so much (I think it the bass improves but kinda expensive for the gain), and there is, at least to my ears, completely no difference when H6's are driven by my S7E, G3 or any of Galaxy S Tablets laying around the house.

So: IMHO buy it because it really improves the sound but only if you already have something to drive H6 properly. Otherwise, save that money and instead of getting replacement cable get something nice to drive your headphones.

That was soundwise. When it comes to quality, look&feel, Amazon cable beats the stock one hands down. Nothing to compare here.

No time = No nice photos :frowning2:

15. Bubblejuice

Prepare for a bit of reading, lol.

I have A/B both Gen 1 and Gen 2 for over week, off many different sources. I've been putting off my complete impression review for a while now just out of laziness, but i'll get around to it. I also have a pair of HD 6XX in the house I've used a few times. I've never tried the Shure.

Unfortunately, in terms of explaining what you should expect to hear, the H6 and the 6XX (HD 650s) are like apples and oranges. They are really different (which is usually the case when comparing closed and open backs to one another). I'm going to try to make my explanation a bit visual (imagination), and hopefully it will give you a better idea of what i'm talking about. Sorry in advance if this makes no sense.

To start off, the bass on either generation H6 is not boomy or overly powerful. The bass on Gen 1 is my favorite, and quite unique. It's acts almost like a floor for the rest of the frequencies to stand on. It can be powerful, and thumpy, and really impressive (quite frequently too). It's not the type of bass that fills space, but rather, it doesn't leave any cracks in the music, if that makes any sense. Maybe to put it into a better perspective, I imagine the bass as a large floor, and mids and highs to be buildings. The taller the buildings, the more forward the frequency. The further apart the buildings, the more separation there is between frequencies. Hopefully you can imagine this and i'm not confusing you. 
    Anyways, I imagine bass on... well something like beats or bose like viscous waves, coming from the floor. On those two particularly boomy and muddy headphones, the waves tend to consistently roll over all of the buildings. On the HD 6XX, the bass is usually manifests in smaller waves that rise to about 1/3 the height of most buildings, never becoming more forward than the mids or highs.

On the H6 Gen 1, the floor just vibrates. It vibrates quite hard. But it never leaves its position in space. The bass doesn't come forward at all, it doesn't demand to be seen, but in doing so, it never bridges the gaps between buildings (frequencies), thus creating a feeling of separation that could easily rival the HD 6XX (surprisingly enough since open-backs are generally better at this). Its bass, you will still feel, and can be particularly powerful in bass heavy songs, but it will never be forward. It's clean, detailed, and does the job I think bass should do, which is to provide a solid, thunderous floor for which other frequencies can stand on and not be overpowered. Additionally, in my opinion, the H6 do have better imagining than almost all headphones in the mid-fi to hi-fi price point, open or closed.

On the H6 Gen 2, the bass does come forward slightly, but it doesn't feel viscous like a wave, it's more like a mist that rises from the vibrating floor. It's still clean, it doesn't cover details or hinder any instrument separation, or mess with imaging. But now it tries a little harder to fill in gaps between frequencies. It's a little bit more thumpy, and little bit more forward, but never boomy or overpowering. The only difference in the other frequencies is that the bass and the vocals are now about equally forward which gives the impression of slight veiling (which the HD 6XX have a little of too). At least at first. After some break in, the vocals become noticeably more prominent than the rest (which is good). Same with the highs. The mids remain untouched between both generations.

If none of that made sense, then i'll just get right to the tangible info and my recommendation.

The H6 Gen 1, personally, has the nicer sounding bass when properly amped, in a quiet environment. Because as powerful as the bass may be at times, it disappears completely once you're outside (specifically loud environments like a busy lobby or a car with poor isolation from the road). And tbh, makes the headphones sound like a cheap pair of airplane earbuds, because now the frequencies are missing the structure the bass provides and they feel all over the place. In a quiet-ish environment they sound incredible, and do everything you want them to do with amazing precision and finesse. But you will need a small amp source to get the best out of them in any environment. I wouldn't recommend you spend more than $50-100 on an amp for these (an expensive amp may make a 5%-10% difference in sound, but these sound great as it is).

The H6 Gen 2, personally, are the better all-purpose headphones. They sound awesome in a quiet-ish environment. I've yet to find any headphones in their price range that I enjoy more. I have a pair of LCD-2s (among others) at home, and I still find myself wanting to throw on my H6s instead, every now and then. Even though I say I like the sound of the Gen 1s more when indoors, the Gen 2 are not far behind, what-so-ever. The real difference, and the reason I chose to keep the Gen 2s instead of the latter, is when you go outside. When your environment is loud and noisy, the Gen 2 bass mellows out a bit and becomes almost identical to the Gen 1 bass while indoors. It's like having the best of the Gen 2s indoors and the best of the Gen 1 outdoors. Best of all, they don't need an amp source at all. I haven't noticed a significant improvement in sound with any amp I've tried. To me, that makes their portability that much better. I also got mine with a really expensive custom cable (plus sound Exo cable made specifically for these), and I can't tell much of a difference between that and the stock cable either. 

So overall, either generation will be clear, detailed, clean, and fit your bass requirements. However, considering you plan to frequently use these outside, I would strongly recommend the Gen 2s (no amp or special cable needed). If you decide to go with the Gen 1 anyways, you will probably need a small amp to enjoy them fully.

P.S. If you're cable ever breaks, and you don't want to spend whatever it is they charge for it, you can get a cheap Mophie headphone adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Mophie-Headset-Adapter-Helium-Iphone/dp/B00G3KG8IO

This fits perfectly into the H6 headphone port and lets you use whatever 3.5mm cable you want (even the plastic is of similar texture). I've tried a few different cables with this adapter at home and it doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference in sound quality (unless you get a faulty adapter of course). There are cheaper knock off options of this adapter you can get too (I got 3 for $10 on ebay), that's what I used to test the H6 with some other random cables (not including the stock cable or the plus sound as those already fit).

Also! This adapter lets you daisy chain non B&O headphones with the H6. I've used them successfully with my LCD-2, HD 6XX, DT 770 pro 80ohm, HD 595, and MH40s. There's little decrease in sound quality, and only the LCD-2 daisy chain needed an amp to get good volume on the LCDs.

Just my 2 cents.

Anyways, I know this was a long reply, and maybe a bit confusing, but I hope it helps! I recommend the H6s regardless of the Gen you get. They are phenomenal headphones (especially for the price). Feel free to ask any questions. [​IMG] 

shoe73 and plsvn like this.
First

Back
93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102
104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113
Next

Last