Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Feb 18, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #1,591 of 2,875
  The V-Moda Extended Audio Only cable fits perfectly; I have the gray model.

You can always use a mophie case audio cable adapter to use non-standard cables with the H6s (it allows for Mic use too). The adapter is like 1 1/2" long and fits perfectly in the H6 socket (it also looks alright too). I have a link posted in a comparison I did between the H6 Gen 1 and Gen 2 a few pages back.

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #1,592 of 2,875

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #1,594 of 2,875
Ha! Nice.  Is that the mic cable or the audio only?  Same color as mine by the way.

Thank you! It's an audio only cable. I have never liked any Inline Mic cables.

Feb 19, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #1,598 of 2,875
  Wait, to be clear... the very same cable worked with your v.2s but not with your v.1s?  Or was it the amp?

I tried many cables, including the Exo cable, the stock cable from both headphones, and other cables using the adapter I mention in the comparison. For some reason the Gen 1s had issues on my amp. They sounded oddly tinny no matter what cable I used. When playing without the amp, they sounded fine.

The only cable the Gen 1s had issues with was the Exo cable. The Exo cable doesn't have a connector for a Mic so that may have caused an iffy connection. Once I turned the cable clockwise on the headphones input, then it usually worked, but it would often start sounding mono again. Every other cable had no problem.

So long story short, the Gen 1s sounded tinny on my O2 no matter what cable. And my Exo cable often gave a mono signal to my Gen 1s. 

My Gen 2s have absolutely none of these issues. The amp sounds fine (although not necessary), and the cable works flawlessly.

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #1,599 of 2,875

I tried many cables, including the Exo cable, the stock cable from both headphones, and other cables using the adapter I mention in the comparison. For some reason the Gen 1s had issues on my amp. They sounded oddly tinny no matter what cable I used. When playing without the amp, they sounded fine.

The only cable the Gen 1s had issues with was the Exo cable. The Exo cable doesn't have a connector for a Mic so that may have caused an iffy connection. Once I turned the cable clockwise on the headphones input, then it usually worked, but it would often start sounding mono again. Every other cable had no problem.

So long story short, the Gen 1s sounded tinny on my O2 no matter what cable. And my Exo cable often gave a mono signal to my Gen 1s. 

My Gen 2s have absolutely none of these issues. The amp sounds fine (although not necessary), and the cable works flawlessly.

Appreciate the detailed information... I have the v.1s and really hoping that an amp will work well with mine... currently, I am on the fence between the FiiO A3, FiiO A5, JDS Labs C5, and Aune B1. Leaning towards the Aune B1 now.  Unfortunately, my O2 was already on loan when I bought my H6s so I have no idea what they will sound like amped but definitely should be better than what I am getting from the 100 ohms lineout on my Asus Xonar DX sound card... I definitely notice a difference when I plug my H6s into my Samsung phone (using PowerAmp Pro app) so that must be due to a much more friendly (lower) lineout... correct?

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #1,600 of 2,875
  Appreciate the detailed information... I have the v.1s and really hoping that an amp will work well with mine... currently, I am on the fence between the FiiO A3, FiiO A5, JDS Labs C5, and Aune B1. Leaning towards the Aune B1 now.  Unfortunately, my O2 was already on loan when I bought my H6s so I have no idea what they will sound like amped but definitely should be better than what I am getting from the 100 ohms lineout on my Asus Xonar DX sound card... I definitely notice a difference when I plug my H6s into my Samsung phone (using PowerAmp Pro app) so that must be due to a much more friendly (lower) lineout... correct?

I'm going to be completely honest with you, and it's something that surprised me personally. Of course, this is my own opinion so take it with a grain of salt, but when everything was working correctly, on the Gen 1 and Gen 2, amping did not make them sound appreciably better. The Gen 1s definitely need some amping for volume reasons, but it won't improve any frequencies aside from what higher volume can provide. On the Gen 2 I had the same experience, and on those, amping is completely unnecessary. 

You could probably do just fine using a AQ Dragonfly Red, Oppo Ha-2, or Cayin C5 as a portable and at home amp. They will all supply more than enough for high volume listening with the Gen 1s regardless of source. I got the Dragonfly Red for my Gen 2s. I wanted to test if a Dac would improve the sound from my iPhone 6, but it really doesn't make a difference. It's just louder.

Take this info as you will, I also don't think expensive cables make much of a difference in sound quality either, and in my testing, that is what I confirmed, to my ears and a few others who tested with me at least. I can't wholesomely recommend the O2 for your Gen 1s, because it's bulky (if you plan to use it as a portable amp), and I did not have a consistent experience with it when testing them together. I think you'd be better off getting a portable amp, as those will provide much more than enough power, and if they are only for your H6s or other low impedance headphones, will work just fine for an at-home/listening station use too.

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #1,601 of 2,875
  I'm going to be completely honest with you, and it's something that surprised me personally. Of course, this is my own opinion so take it with a grain of salt, but when everything was working correctly, on the Gen 1 and Gen 2, amping did not make them sound appreciably better. The Gen 1s definitely need some amping for volume reasons, but it won't improve any frequencies aside from what higher volume can provide. On the Gen 2 I had the same experience, and on those, amping is completely unnecessary. 

You could probably do just fine using a AQ Dragonfly Red, Oppo Ha-2, or Cayin C5 as a portable and at home amp. They will all supply more than enough for high volume listening with the Gen 1s regardless of source. I got the Dragonfly Red for my Gen 2s. I wanted to test if a Dac would improve the sound from my iPhone 6, but it really doesn't make a difference. It's just louder.

Take this info as you will, I also don't think expensive cables make much of a difference in sound quality either, and in my testing, that is what I confirmed, to my ears and a few others who tested with me at least. I can't wholesomely recommend the O2 for your Gen 1s, because it's bulky (if you plan to use it as a portable amp), and I did not have a consistent experience with it when testing them together. I think you'd be better off getting a portable amp, as those will provide much more than enough power, and if they are only for your H6s or other low impedance headphones, will work just fine for an at-home/listening station use too.

Concur, exactly my thoughts as well.

My cable swap was more of a quality/technical issue as the OEM supplied mic cable was utter crap and the V-Moda replaced cable cost was quite reasonable.

My O2 will most likely not return; favoring it's new home... and I am not intending to replace it either, too big as you alluded.  As you correctly noted I think a portable amp would be best both for my H6s and for ease of transport when I travel with them.  Can't use an USB source input amp as I using a Asus Xonar DX so unfortunately no Dragonfly for me.  Just thinking that I would benefit somewhat from an amp in my particular situation... all due to this weak 100 ohms lineout coming from my sound card.  I will definitely review and consider the Oppo Ha-2 and Cayin C5 as well though I really am down to the Aune B1 (which was nicely reviewed here with a pair of H6 v.1s) or the FiiO A3 (which I like predominately for it's unique rear source inputs).   

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #1,602 of 2,875

My2 cents

Source / Amp inventory I had with the h6:
Objective O2, JDS C5D, Fiio X5 ii,, FiiO E12,  Vintage Luxman L410's headphone jack, iPhone 5, Hifimediy 9018D aysnchronous DAC amp.

Honestly, the most detailed sound I ever heard out of the H6's was with the e12, with Hifimediy 9018, with an external battery bank from Anker. But, I must admit, Hifimediy 9018, with just the battery pack got the background dark really close enough to the c5d, or O2, but with more details than anything listed here.  I was not able to digest the fact that the cheapest in the list. But be prepared to hate bad recordings! Play Daft Punk - Within at around 00:30 and you WILL hear the sustain pedal evidently. On C5d it sounded muted. E12 makes it more louder, but there is a slight balance off for the rest of the track as everything sounds a bit mid centric. Without the battery, the DAC loses, imaging, and timing a bit. But, for a cheapo budget, u cannot ask for more. I don't know if the asynchoronous version and the current version sounds the same. May be u can look for a used one.

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #1,603 of 2,875
  Concur, exactly my thoughts as well.

My cable swap was more of a quality/technical issue as the OEM supplied mic cable was utter crap and the V-Moda replaced cable cost was quite reasonable.

My O2 will most likely not return; favoring it's new home... and I am not intending to replace it either, too big as you alluded.  As you correctly noted I think a portable amp would be best both for my H6s and for ease of transport when I travel with them.  Can't use an USB source input amp as I using a Asus Xonar DX so unfortunately no Dragonfly for me.  Just thinking that I would benefit somewhat from an amp in my particular situation... all due to this weak 100 ohms lineout coming from my sound card.  I will definitely review and consider the Oppo Ha-2 and Cayin C5 as well though I really am down to the Aune B1 (which was nicely reviewed here with a pair of H6 v.1s) or the FiiO A3 (which I like predominately for it's unique rear source inputs).   

Yeah, it's just a matter of choosing which one suites you best for comfort and features. I chose the DFR because of it's size, but in my testing I found no difference, although many swear they do. However, i'm not saying headphones in general don't sound better when amped, but the H6s uniquely did not seem to "improve" on any front other than volume. Which i'm happy with, since I find the sound they have on their own is as close to my ideal "all-purpose" sound as I can get.

Feb 19, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #1,604 of 2,875
 Can't use an USB source input amp as I using a Asus Xonar DX so unfortunately no Dragonfly for me.

Well DragonFly is a brilliant DAC/amp combo and it will bypass your xonar - just connect it to USB port and enjoy your new pc audio card (fully supported by OS and working exactly like xonar in all apps).

Feb 19, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #1,605 of 2,875
Well DragonFly is a brilliant DAC/amp combo and it will bypass your xonar - just connect it to USB port and enjoy your new pc audio card (fully supported by OS and working exactly like xonar in all apps).

Appreciate the recommendation but why would I need a DAC/amp combo when I have a perfectly good DAC already?

My Asus Xonar DX sound card has a top of the line Cirrus Logic chip (CS4398) that is supposed to be smartly implemented with solid ancillary circuitry... it should hold it's own against the ESS 9010 or 9016 chips found in the Dragonflys right?   Or am I missing something here?  

BTW:  The main reason I went with the Asus Xonar DX was because I always liked the sound on Marantz CD players which use the CS4398 chip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back