Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Nov 12, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #481 of 2,875
I have owned my H6 for nearly a year now. I agree with a lot of the comments on the earlier posts, including that burning in did really make a difference. Out of the box they were shrill, 48 hours later they were warm and detailed.

I adore the sound of the headphones, listening to songs such as Weight of Love by the Black Keys is an encompassing and rich experience. The details and personal feel of the sound is definitely enjoyable. However, as soon as I use them for commuting on train and tube, all the pleasure is lost. Not really wanting to have an extra block and use an amp, I have to turn my iPhone 6 up to maximum with the EQ turned to Electronic in order to hear the bass, and this destroys the beautiful sound these headphones can deliver. In a quiet environment they are superb, but use while travelling and outside noise will destroy the low and subtle bass and the wide detailed warm sound these produce.

Another note is the cable is truly awful, the IOS remote works most of the time, but not always which is frustrating. The cable is cheap and stiff.

So, this means I have come to terms with needing another set of headphones, probably IEMs for my commute and daily use. But I just cannot bring myself to sell the H6, I love the sound, and will promise myself I will use them at home, in the quiet, with a book and cup of tea for a perfect experience (that I am sure my family will never allow to actually happen).

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #482 of 2,875

Another note is the cable is truly awful, the IOS remote works most of the time, but not always which is frustrating. The cable is cheap and stiff.

I've been wondering about a new cable. Curious about this ~$30 OCC cable on the PSB M4U (my old cans) thread:

post #427

Quote:

So, this means I have come to terms with needing another set of headphones, probably IEMs for my commute and daily use. But I just cannot bring myself to sell the H6, I love the sound, and will promise myself I will use them at home, in the quiet, with a book and cup of tea for a perfect experience (that I am sure my family will never allow to actually happen).

Same. H6 in the office, Ety ER-4S on my commute. Though I will say that the isolation on the H6 is decent even at low volumes. Not amazing, but decent. Then again, I like to listen at relatively low volumes. :)

Nov 12, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #483 of 2,875
I've been wondering about a new cable. Curious about this ~$30 OCC cable on the PSB M4U (my old cans) thread:

post #427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbles119 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same. H6 in the office, Ety ER-4S on my commute. Though I will say that the isolation on the H6 is decent even at low volumes. Not amazing, but decent. Then again, I like to listen at relatively low volumes. :)

Good luck with the replacement cable. I will also be trying a new one. But I will want a very long coil cable to reach the receiver as I (hopefully) spend time chilling out.

Not sure about the Etys. Might try the RHAs or Atomic Floyd Superdarts

Nov 12, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #484 of 2,875
Good luck with the replacement cable. I will also be trying a new one. But I will want a very long coil cable to reach the receiver as I (hopefully) spend time chilling out.

Not sure about the Etys. Might try the RHAs or Atomic Floyd Superdarts

I have a pair of low-end RHAs, and they're fantastic for the price. Never heard anything bad about their more expensive stuff. I've gotten used to / addicted to the Ety isolation, myself. But when I tried the RHAs I was really impressed.

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #485 of 2,875
So yesterday I did a long A-B session with the H6 against the Oppo PM-3.  I was using my AK120ii directly, or through the Ratoc Audio Labs REX-KEB03 portable amp.   I was assuming the Oppo would be superior to the B&O, but was curious as to how much and in what way, and I had the opportunity to buy the PM-3 at a huge discount.  After switching back and forth for an hour, it was totally obvious that the H6 was clearly superior in EVERY way.  Detail, soundstage and, most surprisingly bass.  It`s also lighter and isolates better and, for me, more comfortable.  

It was a pleasant surprise.  

Next, the new Beyer 1770 . . . 

Nov 16, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #486 of 2,875
I did not hear H6 but had a pair of H8 for about half a year. The quality of the sound is way different under Bluetooth connection and cable connection. Also, changing the cable from the original cable to Monster cable did make more bass and smooth mid-range.

Nov 17, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #487 of 2,875
My first quasi review on head fi. Hope someone finds this of any use.

------------------------------------------
Background

I have listened to this headphone extensively at over 1 mth period. I am not as technically minded as the regular on this forum, but I do love audio visual gadgetry.

I like b&o, got their audio gear prior to the invention of b&o play. I am aware of their questionable quality control, but in general I am a fan of the brand sonic signature.

I have compared this with mdr 1rbt, senheisser momentum on-ear, Sony xba3, mdr888, Apple EarPods, Apple in-ear. Bose soundlink iii (just to make sure I wasn't deaf).
Audio gear used: iPad Air 2. iPod nano 7G. iPod classic 4G, Creative Elite Pro.

First 2 headphone I got has faulty jack. It kept making electrical noises. Especially if the headphone cable is moved/twisted.

Anyway the third headphone had none of that issue.

Sound

When I first received this third headphone. I find it difficult to listen to. It sounded tight, harsh, piercing. After I did a burn in by just plugging it in a headphone amp and just let it run for about 12h it does seems to loosen up a bit, vocal is now not as harsh.

Right now.

Bass is astounding. Perhaps the best aspect of the headphone. It get down so low. Very clear, and still retain texture. Best i have ever heard.

The mid, ah what can I say.. Vocal sounds thin and distant.

The treble. the treble. It sounds louder than the rest, and is piercing my ear.

Listening to it, the best aspect is how the headphone are able to render piano and string instrument. Sounds the same as real life. Everything sounds delicate and detailed.

The thing is, with that treble, I need to keep the volume down at the lowest setting as not to hurt my ear. Even then it still does. But at that point, the vocal/mid is hard to hear, the bass is gone.

Vocal sounds recessed and tiny.

Soundstage is big, but stereo imaging is average. It doesn't give an illusion of you are in there like some desktop speaker does.

With this sound signature I am scared to listen to it. It is detailed and accurate, but ultimately clinical and harsh/piercing.

This phone is good for accoustic, jazz and classical, watching television/video/movie. Not so good for rock, electronic. But I would be cautious about this damaging you ear. You need to listen to this headphone in a quite place, as not to damage your hearing by compensating it with increasing the volume.

Build

I received 2 defective headphone before okay 3rd one. Apart from the first one, the latter 2 had unsightly wrinkle and stitching on the ear cup. The rest is good. I got the black version. The leather texture and quality is very good. Apart from the aforementioned ear cup stitching, the stitching in the headband always been very good. It is even, spaced uniformly between the edges. Cotton(?) lining the headband is very good. They use those high wrap count unit.

Headphone is quite light. Light pressure on the ear. Light pressure on the head.

It fit reasonably securely on the head. It has very good comfort. Mdr 1rbt still beat it by a mile though.

Sound isolation average. The earphone does this tricky kinematic with the hinges and pivot, but because the round form over function ear up design, it might still loose contact if you tilt your head. It still not really a big issue. The fact that the device has a cable is more of a limitation than this.

The hinges move smoothly.

It is well designed headphone. You know they have every intent on this being a long lasting unit. The same cannot be said on about the manufacturing side of things. It is quite shocking, even with b&o standard. At the price they are charging, I expect more from them.

Comclusion

I thought I love flat, accurate sounding audio gear. But with this phone, now I am not sure. It is just too dangerous. I am back to my xba 3 to soothe my ear. This baby will be returned to the place of purchase. Quite a shameI have no issue with the design. Sound signature limit its use. If this one is defect free (no wrinkle on one side of the ear cup and loose stitching on the other side) I might have keep it... It is a aesthetically and technically pleasing unit. But not safe to use.

Nov 17, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #488 of 2,875
I had a brief listen of the h8 at the apple store. It sounded similar to the h6, but the bass on it is bonkers. very fun unit. I'd say it is a better buy.
At least you won't be increasing the volume because the bass will over power your ear long before the treble does. (as is the case with the h6).

The h6 cannot be said to have accurate sound anyway. The mid and upper mid sounds tiny. *Clap* sounded like a *Clip*. On other headphone that I have they sounded fine.

But not sure I want a h8, heard they have a Bluetooth connection issue. Is this correct?

But the touch control is a bit annoying. It lags quite bad. (About 2 seconds out).

It is quite a lot though to spend on unit you meant to sweat about on the street, and getting burnt by the hot sun.
I would also be concern about it attracting no-Gooder.

If I want to listen at home. I would rather use home speaker. If I want to isolate my self at home. I would rather use IEM.

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #489 of 2,875
It is a aesthetically and technically pleasing unit. But not safe to use.

I mean no disrespect here, but if these 'phones hurt your ears that much, something else is going on. You're either listening at unsafe volumes or need to see an ear doctor. There's nothing unsafe about the H6.

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #490 of 2,875
I mean no disrespect here, but if these 'phones hurt your ears that much, something else is going on. You're either listening at unsafe volumes or need to see an ear doctor. There's nothing unsafe about the H6.

I don't know aye.

When you said volume. It can't be volume. Since even at the lowest setting it sounds like listening through a small speaker through a hollow but long cylindrical tin can. The bass is boomy, but the high is really really high and piercing. Mid is recessed, and thin/hollow. As I said, when someone is clapping. Instead of clap clap clap, it sounds like clip clip clip. I know this wasn't the audio, because I check with my other headphone. With the iPad. 3 bars is really as high as I want to go, but the bass is missing, vocal missing, but treble is massive and piercing already. At 5-6 bars. The bass is good, vocal can hear good but still recessed, treble is fatiguing, and when the high of the song strikes, it just sounds pleasant and unpleasant at the same time, Pleasant because of the detail, unpleasant because it overpower everything. At this point it generally just cause listener fatigue quickly (~10minutes). Other headphone I can crank to 6-7 and listen all day, 9-10 is alright also. (Out of 20)

Either that or this one is defective again, These headphone do have quite a lot of variance.

I had a listen to this headphone at at few shop before purchase.

First heard them at b&o boutique. I was with a few friends of mine. We heard and conclude the same thing. The headphone sounds thin and hollow. All of us including the sales had the same reaction. This headphone sounds broken. It's so thin. Clank clank clank, sounds clink clink clink.

Baffled, how did b&o produce such garbage, I began to test at every shop. Department store, electronic store...

Second try Apple Store. Sounds different again. Maybe it's the bad connector, or noisy store. But at least doesn't sound like listening to highly strung thin piece of metallic barbed wire that the one in the b&o boutique had. that particular store is a quite place so should be pretty accurate to judge, probably something like 35-45db average ambient)

The first two I've got haven't got this piercing issue also as far as I can remember, the first one definitely sounds good out of the box. But I was distracted by the intermittent crackle that the headphone jack connection produces. So who knows.

If you say it's my ear. When put down this current h6 and listen to my current range of ear/headphone. My ear stops hurting. Yes I have tested this extensively. I repeat the process a few times. I check my hearing against the tone and noise test. I hear low tone to high tone just fine, my ear still can listen to subtle voices in noisy environment. Nothing that would suggest hearing injury, ailment, or deficiency.

If you say I listen too loud. I usually listen at 4 maybe 6, maybe 10-11 bars on the iPad/iPod depending on the song and ambient noise (out of 20). In any case, I should always be able to hear the surrounding environment whilst listening at each of this volume level. So I dunno. I don't max out the volume by any means.

Nov 17, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #491 of 2,875

Wow. Well, I don't know what to tell you, then. I can relate to the "thinness" of the sound, but am finding it's opening up with time and scales with an amp (egads, I thought I'd never write that). 

But if it's causing you such distress, I guess just sell 'em and move on.

Good luck.

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #492 of 2,875
Wow. Well, I don't know what to tell you, then. I can relate to the "thinness" of the sound, but am finding it's opening up with time and scales with an amp (egads, I thought I'd never write that). 

But if it's causing you such distress, I guess just sell 'em and move on.

Good luck.

Thanks. Luckily the store I bought them had very good return policy. They would probably be okay in replacing with another one probably, but I just don't think it's a good idea. With all these quality issue that these headphone had, I don't like my chances. The ear up they tend to not stitch properly also. I would get if both side were of the same quality, but this tend t come with one side nicely done, one side wrinkled up.

But all good now :)

Nov 19, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #493 of 2,875
Been using a FiiO Q1 amp/dac with the H6 for the past two weeks. Subtle but noticeable improvement in SQ. Just traded another pair of cans for a Geek Out 1000. Looking forward to trying that out with the H6 next. 

Nov 24, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #494 of 2,875
Been listening to the H6 through both a Fiio Q1 and a Geek out 1000, across jazz, rock, and some electronic and hip hop. I'm surprised to say this, but the Q1 pairs much better than the H6. With Bass off and Gain to low, the Q1 makes the H6 sound fuller and deeper without coloring the sound or overdoing the bass boost. Listening to some McCoy Tyner right now via Spotify and it really sounds great. 

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #495 of 2,875
Hey guys, check out my post here for my thoughts on the H6 (particularly vs the Momentum 2s): http://www.head-fi.org/t/749606/sennheiser-momentum-2-0-and-wireless/2490#post_12108115

I spent more time with them today and learned some more things:

* These sound like a marginally improved version of my Shure SRH-840s (which I absolutely love) but with far better build quality and design
* The ear cups are deeper than my SRH-840s and therefore don't touch my ears
* The leather pads really soften after a long time and cost a LOOOOTTTT to replace ($170 AU for the earpads vs $599 RRP for the headphones here)
* The new models in the store had significantly more bass than those which had been demo units for a longer time, I'm still a bit confused by this to be honest
* The newer (bassier ones) sounded absolutely PERFECT to me.  They had more bass than the Shure SRH-840s, extended far lower yet still had gorgeous detailed mids and highs with a wide soundstage

Assuming I can understand why the old ones sounded less bassy, I will be pulling the trigger on these and selling both my Shure SRH-840s and my Sennheiser Momentum 2s.  These truly are the best closed headphone I have heard to date.  Some others I have heard are:

* Audio Technica ATH-M50
* Shure SRH-840, 940 and 1540
* Sennheiser HD-280, Momentum 2
* Beyerdynamic DT770 and 990
* Brainwavz HM5
* AKG K551
* Oppo PM-3

Can anyone explain what happened with the bass response here?

Thanks
zambz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back