Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Dec 23, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #226 of 2,875
  I know this question was already asked back on page 11, but I thought I'd check for an update: has anyone auditioned the DJ Khaled version?  The H6's got my attention when they were first announced because I liked their look, but everything on these forums confirms that they're fairly neutral; meant for acoustics and natural bass.  Since there's nothing on these forums about the Khaled version, I went and e-mailed B&O and this is what I got back:
====
Thanks for contact us.
Here is some information about BeoPlay H6 with DJ Khaled:
How BeoPlay H6 with DJ Khaled differs from the well-known BeoPlay H6?
While keeping the overall design and delivering the best of craftsmanship and sound, we have adjusted H6 to fit DJ Khaled’s audience:
- The DJ Khaled headphone has a completely new driver that can deliver the performance fit for the hip hop genre – and to be more specific, the staging has been narrowed, and the headphone has an extra bass port
- Headband has been made thicker and the aluminium arms changed dimension to become even more robust
- The earcups rotate 180 degrees
- The cord has become longer, with the coiled section and the angled jack
- We include a ¼ inch to 3,5 mm adaptor into the box, but remove the flight adaptor and the carrying pouch
- The colour scheme has been chosen by DJ Khaled to fit his favourite clothing pieces.
The headphones will only be marketed in the US and we will not be able to support the campaign in other regions.
====
So not much information besides that first line.  A whole new driver means none of the comments I've read on the original H6 can be taken into account, and I have no clue what a bass port is.  (Does that require a battery?)  Was hoping they might be in the same vein as a Denon AH-D2000 or Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80ohm, but I think I'm gonna have to pass unless someone's actually tried 'em on.  Don't wanna take a chance and pull the trigger only for them to be Beats knockoffs.  I mean, I like a little bass, but I've got my limits.  And sound quality is priority numero uno.

You could just order it off Amazon and compare to the regular edition, then return the one you don't like as much.

Dec 24, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #227 of 2,875
I'm using my stock H6s with the new Explorer 2 DAC from meridian (see the new thread on this DAC http://www.head-fi.org/t/747327/meridian-explorer-impressions-thread) ... and I think they're a great match ... super smooth but detailed mids and highs, the vocals sing as they should and the bass extension is improved and allows for extended listening sessions (I also found the B&W P7s to be too bass heavy and I tired of listening after a short time).

This H6 and E2 combo with Tidal is one way to get into a fantastic world of music at a minimal cost

Tidal are also producing playlists that really showcase music with quality recordings e.g. 

http://tidalhifi.com/playlist/774ee13a-7d8d-4d68-b1ba-2d2fb3ea2738

Enjoy ...

Dec 25, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #228 of 2,875
  You could just order it off Amazon and compare to the regular edition, then return the one you don't like as much.

Hmmm.  Not a bad suggestion, actually.  Not sure if I'll do it, because I'm overseas right now and don't know if I wanna deal with hassle of finding dealers that'll ship out here and long wait times, but if I do I'll come back and update here.  Thanks.

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #229 of 2,875
So I bought the B&O H6 and it's been sitting here still sealed in the box for hours.

I auditioned them at the store. I liked what I heard so I made the purchase.

Then I got home and read TotallyDubbed's review of them:

"The sub-bass is almost non-existent for the B&O H6. I did expect this, due to my initial demo, however was surprised to find it really lacking."

Sub bass is my favorite frequency(srs). Is it possible that my limited demo of them wasn't enough for me to determine that these have "non-existent" sub bass? I find that kind of hard to believe.. it wasn't that loud in the store. Still on the fence, might return them. Store I got them from only does returns if it's sealed so I can just go to Apple Store and try them out more before I make a decision or whatever

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #230 of 2,875
They aren't non-existent in the sub bass but their subbass isn't really prominent, they start to roll off in the mid bass downwards to my ears. It's still there but a bit polite.

I also find them more sensitive to position, if you don't get a good seal, you'll lose subbass fast.

But yeah if you like deep bass, these wouldn't be my first choice. 

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #231 of 2,875
  So I bought the B&O H6 and it's been sitting here still sealed in the box for hours.

"The sub-bass is almost non-existent for the B&O H6. I did expect this, due to my initial demo, however was surprised to find it really lacking."

Sub bass is my favorite frequency(s). Is it possible that my limited demo of them wasn't enough for me to determine that these have "non-existent" sub bass? I find that kind of hard to believe.. it wasn't that loud in the store. Still on the fence, might return them. Store I got them from only does returns if it's sealed so I can just go to Apple Store and try them out more before I make a decision or whatever

Can you return them if you open the box and give them a thorough audition?  You're really the only one who can determine if they meet your expectations.  I find the H6 to be an excellent headphone with good sub-bass.  What it doesn't have is mid-bass boost like the Sennheiser Momentum which was way too muddy sounding to me and caused me to sell them and purchase the H6.  I feel the H6 has very accurate (and sometime surprising) sub-bass, but only when there is sub-bass present in the recording.  It doesn't color all music with bass boost like the momentum.

Take a listen and see for yourself.  Others' opinions are meaningless since we all have very different points of reference and preferences.

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #232 of 2,875

Can you return them if you open the box and give them a thorough audition?  You're really the only one who can determine if they meet your expectations.  I find the H6 to be an excellent headphone with good sub-bass.  What it doesn't have is mid-bass boost like the Sennheiser Momentum which was way too muddy sounding to me and caused me to sell them and purchase the H6.  I feel the H6 has very accurate (and sometime surprising) sub-bass, but only when there is sub-bass present in the recording.  It doesn't color all music with bass boost like the momentum.

Take a listen and see for yourself.  Others' opinions are meaningless since we all have very different points of reference and preferences.

That's more in line of what I heard when auditioning them. While I don't mind neutral mid bass at all, lack of sub bass tends to stick out like a sore thumb to me. 

By the way.. I have the "Black" version as per the box. Same color as the ones I auditioned so I had a good look at them. I'm seeing in pictures (google) that there may be a version that is an even darker black? Almost like a jet black. Or is the one I have the "blackest" one can get? 

For example, this one looks like it has a black back:

And this is the one I have:

The second pic looks like gunmetal instead of black. Is it just because the lighting or are those two different colors?

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #233 of 2,875
It's the lighting. I own two pairs of the black H6s. They are black not gun metal.

They are a great headphine IMO. Not boomy thou if that's what you are looking for. That said when I have them hooked up to my oppo I get all the base I need. Personal taste I guess. I could see how some would want more thou.

I really like them, and I have to give credit to the feel and design of them. Something lacking in 95% of every other headphine out there regardless of price.

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #234 of 2,875

Sub bass is my favorite frequency(srs). Is it possible that my limited demo of them wasn't enough for me to determine that these have "non-existent" sub bass? I find that kind of hard to believe.. it wasn't that loud in the store. Still on the fence, might return them. Store I got them from only does returns if it's sealed so I can just go to Apple Store and try them out more before I make a decision or whatever

I found something similar. When listening to an Elgar piece for violin and piano I could hear the violin but not the piano. The H6 is the only one I've heard to do this disappearing act.

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #236 of 2,875

I have the H6s and the AKG 550s (previous model to the 551 but very similar performance) and would say that the H6 are better I almost every way ... probably not surprising given the cost difference between the two.
While the AKGs have great soundstage for a closed headphone compared to the H6 their lows are muddy and they don't have the detail in the midst and highs ...
I've not auditioned the other phones in your list recently so can't comment on these

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #237 of 2,875
  Has anyone compared the B&O H6  with the:
AKG K551, AKG 701's or the NAD HP50?

Purely sound wise, the Hp50 is best with H6 comes second and then the K701 and K550.

Overall wise [build quality, comfort, sound], the H6 is the best of all with the rest par. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #238 of 2,875

I have the H6s and the AKG 550s (previous model to the 551 but very similar performance) and would say that the H6 are better I almost every way ... probably not surprising given the cost difference between the two.
While the AKGs have great soundstage for a closed headphone compared to the H6 their lows are muddy and they don't have the detail in the midst and highs ...
I've not auditioned the other phones in your list recently so can't comment on these

Purely sound wise, the Hp50 is best with H6 comes second and then the K701 and K550.

Overall wise [build quality, comfort, sound], the H6 is the best of all with the rest par. 

Thanks that helps,
The HP 50 are a bit on the giant side, but the SQ must be great, i'm trying them as well
The H6's i am hoping will blow me away, i heard them briefly before, will give them a proper going over tomorrow.
The B & O H6's could suit all my needs, light, comfortable, great sound and easy to drive.

Couple more Q's please:
1. How are they for home cinema TV/Blu-ray listening? (was going to get an open pair for this, I have an AVR)
2. What's the isolation like, in the street, tube etc?
If they are a great all in one jack of all that i could also take out then i could justify the very expensive perchase as a christmas present to myself!
Happy Christmas

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #239 of 2,875

Thanks that helps,
The HP 50 are a bit on the giant side, but the SQ must be great, i'm trying them as well
The H6's i am hoping will blow me away, i heard them briefly before, will give them a proper going over tomorrow.
The B & O H6's could suit all my needs, light, comfortable, great sound and easy to drive.

Couple more Q's please:
1. How are they for home cinema TV/Blu-ray listening? (was going to get an open pair for this, I have an AVR)
2. What's the isolation like, in the street, tube etc?
If they are a great all in one jack of all that i could also take out then i could justify the very expensive perchase as a christmas present to myself!
Happy Christmas

The H6 doesnt actually lose too much in terms of SQ in comparison to the HP50 [see my comparison/review in sig]. 

For your needs, the H6 seem to be a better choice. It has excellent soundstage and imaging for movies, great isolation while on the go. Better than the HP50 in terms of comfort, isolation, build quality and design as well if that counts

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #240 of 2,875
  The H6 doesnt actually lose too much in terms of SQ in comparison to the HP50 [see my comparison/review in sig]. 

For your needs, the H6 seem to be a better choice. It has excellent soundstage and imaging for movies, great isolation while on the go. Better than the HP50 in terms of comfort, isolation, build quality and design as well if that counts

I liked your review thanks, notice the H6 got a conderable higher score overall than the NAD.

I trust it scales well with equipment?

And finally some people talk of it needing an amp with a portable player, or is this just the bass they are complaining about.
Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back