Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Dec 29, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #2,071 of 2,875
No no, I'm sorry if I made it come across that way. The vocals are not "recessed". If I put it in another way, the imaging on these headphones is phenomenal, so when you imagine the vocals in space, they seem only slightly more forward than the rest of the music. This means that, if you are distracted (like studying, or working) while listening to music with vocals, the vocals may not stick out from the rest of the music. But if you are just listening to music, then it's not a problem (thought still noticeable).

These headphones have one of my favorite sound signatures ever. If I had to chose between these and my LCD-2F, I'd have a really hard time deciding, they're just that good. Especially in the bass departing (IMO).

I took these to a recent headfi meet in my area, and everyone there was impressed by the sound these put out. Even with headphones like the Utopias and Abyss Fi in the room, I still heard people chat about these many times throughout the event. They were one of the few headphones there that the members unanimously (AFAIK) considered to be "very good". Only two people came up to me and mentioned that if the vocals were just slightly more forward, they would buy a pair that same day. And I had to agree to some extent. Though I'm completely happy with the sound, and I haven't found any other headphone that does what these do (not even the higher end B&O models), there's still that last tick that would make them "just right".

I would give them a shot if I were you, they don't disappoint in any way. But like all headphones, there are things that can be improved upon depending on your personal tastes.

This was a pretty long-winded reply, but I hope it made my comment more clear. If the vocals can be pushed forward a bit with an adapter or something, that would really be something awesome to consider.
Concur, even more so regarding the LCD-2. As soon as I bought my H6 v1 my Audeze gathered dust and eventually gifted them away last June. My circa 2012 LCD-2s were simply uncomfortable (heavy, sweaty, clampy) and to my ears they really didn't sound that much better than my B&O H6s (maybe due to their weaker, shallower bass?). I also found the imaging of the H6s very close if not comparable to the LCD-2s so I wasn't heart broken when they went to a better home where they would be better appreciated and used (edit: spelling error).

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #2,072 of 2,875
Concur, even more so regarding the LCD-2. As soon as I bought my H6 v1 my Audeze gathered dust and eventually gifted them away last June. My circa 2012 LCD-2s were simply uncomfortable (heavy, sweaty, clampy) and to my ears they really didn't sound that much better than my B&O H6s (maybe due to their weaker, shallower bass?). I also found the imaging of the H6s very close if not comparable to the LCD-2s so I wasn't heart broken when they went to a better home where they would be better appreciated and sued.
I didn't mean to say that the H6 are better or equal to the LCD-2F. They are not. The LCD-2F are better in almost every way, including imagining (though the H6 are the closest, with regards to imaging, to the LCD-2F that I've ever heard in their price range). However, in a similar way that Audeze has their "house sound", B&O has theirs. But the H6s have an even more unique sound that nothing else has, even within the B&O line up. The closest would be the H7s, but I compared them, and the only thing the H7 did better was isolation. The H6 had better sound quality, even when the H7s were wired. All of this in my opinion of course, so YMMV.

My LCD-2F are my daily drivers and I use them more than any other headphone (Lobe strap is essential). But when I crave a relaxed listen with that special touch of bass, I always go for my H6.

What I was trying to say was that, I like the sound signature of the H6 so much, that I would have a hard time choosing between them and the clearly superior (at least to me) LCD-2F. But your comment is exactly why I don't hesitate to recommend the H6. Audeze, like many other brands, can be an acquired taste to some (both for sound and comfort). But the H6s seem to please most who listen to them.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #2,073 of 2,875
All I know is I’m sure they will sound better than any other headphones I’ve listened to. I’ve only heard the popular Bluetooth sets and the 598 open back Sennheiser which I really liked but wouldn’t work well for commuting or in the office. I got the H6 second gen on sale on amazon for $197.00. Hopefully that’s a good deal.

Dec 29, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #2,075 of 2,875
Yes, that’s why I said popular, not top. But considering I can get the H6 Gen 2 for $150-2”0
Less than those popular and artificial sounding Bluetooth cans, I can sacrifice the wireless.
zzzb
No no, I'm sorry if I made it come across that way. The vocals are not "recessed". If I put it in another way, the imaging on these headphones is phenomenal, so when you imagine the vocals in space, they seem only slightly more forward than the rest of the music. This means that, if you are distracted (like studying, or working) while listening to music with vocals, the vocals may not stick out from the rest of the music. But if you are just listening to music, then it's not a problem.

These headphones have one of my favorite sound signatures ever. If I had to chose between these and my LCD-2F, I'd have a really hard time deciding, they're just that good. Especially in the bass departing (IMO).

I took these to a recent headfi meet in my area, and everyone there was impressed by the sound these put out. Even with headphones like the Utopias and Abyss Fi in the room, I still heard people chat about these many times throughout the event. They were one of the few headphones there that the members unanimously (AFAIK) considered to be "very good". Only two people came up to me and mentioned that if the vocals were just slightly more forward, they would buy a pair that same day. And I had to agree to some extent. Though I'm completely happy with the sound, and I haven't found any other headphone that does what these do (not even the higher end B&O models), there's still that last tick that would make them "just right".

I would give them a shot if I were you, they don't disappoint in any way. But like all headphones, there are things that can be improved upon depending on your personal tastes.

This was a pretty long-winded reply, but I hope it made my comment more clear. If the vocals can be pushed forward a bit with an adapter or something, that would really be something awesome to consider.
I can understand the situation.
You seem want to improve the Chanel seperation and H6 is not exelent in reproducing the sound 3D of the sound.
I have tried my amiron home and compare then Amiron is far better in sound stage depth and separation

Dec 29, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #2,076 of 2,875
Can anyone provide a link for a braided cable for this with in line mic controls with a lightning plug? I saw a guy on Reddit who was selling his h6 from a year ago who bought one on Amazon. I’d love to bypass the white dongle.

Dec 31, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #2,079 of 2,875
I enjoy using the H^ Gen.2 very much and they displaced my Shure SRH-8440. They are more comfortable and more enjoyable to listen to.

I have been wondering if getting the Sennheiser HD 6xx or the Sennheiser HD 58x would be redundant or not. I have never used open ear headphones. Are the sound signature of these headphones somewhat similar?

The reason I'm considering one of these two headphones is because I'm getting a Sony DAP with balanced output and as I understand, I can easily purchase balanced cables for either of these Sennheiser headphones without any additional modification. I believe the H6 would require modification to turn them into balanced and I don't want to mess up with them.

Anyone here have compared these headphones? If so, how do they compare?

Thanks!
Jon

Dec 31, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #2,080 of 2,875
I also have the HD 650 and the H6 compares very favorably to it especially for closed vs open cans. What really surprise me about the H^ is the level of detail for closed cans. I choose to use them at work because they don't require as much power. The HD 650 require alot of power so you better plan own using a pretty strong dac/amp with them. over the HD 650 are better but not enough for me to use them at work and I would be just fine with the H6 alone.

Dec 31, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #2,081 of 2,875
I enjoy using the H^ Gen.2 very much and they displaced my Shure SRH-8440. They are more comfortable and more enjoyable to listen to.

I have been wondering if getting the Sennheiser HD 6xx or the Sennheiser HD 58x would be redundant or not. I have never used open ear headphones. Are the sound signature of these headphones somewhat similar?

The reason I'm considering one of these two headphones is because I'm getting a Sony DAP with balanced output and as I understand, I can easily purchase balanced cables for either of these Sennheiser headphones without any additional modification. I believe the H6 would require modification to turn them into balanced and I don't want to mess up with them.

Anyone here have compared these headphones? If so, how do they compare?

Thanks!
Jon
I would like to recommend Amiron Home :3 than sen 6xx.
Sen hd5xx is very low performance. 6xx is the product line you should go to if you want to go the line up with Sen. However, HD600 HD650 is extremely depend on source gear(desk gear) to drive to true performance and with sony balance dap is cannot drive 6xx. If have chance, you should go and try HD660s, a new one easier to drive in 6xx family.
Could you give me the budget plan, may I and other can give you some suggestion.

Dec 31, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #2,082 of 2,875
Redundant msg ...............

Jan 2, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #2,084 of 2,875
What does low performance mean. The HD5XX are good headphones just not at the same level as more costly Senns.
The HD660s is low impedance but still requires a lot of power.
HD598, 518, 558 are not good headphone in its sound quality.
Had better go for HD6xx.
HD5xx is even cannot compared to H6 gen1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back