Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Mar 13, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #1,636 of 2,875
About the Spare Parts business...
We have a store chain here in Germany called HiFi Profis, they are official B&O resellers. The B&O salesperson there could always easily order spare parts for me...
Spare cables, spare cushions for the H8 and H6 ... even the DjKhaled Edition cable, the very long one with a coiled cord and angled connector. He finds out the Model and number and then chooses the spare part for it ...
Maybe if you guys have a store you can walk in, the person there can dig the parts out in her/his computer, I imagine the software they have to access the database is the same. 

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #1,637 of 2,875
About the Spare Parts business...
We have a store chain here in Germany called HiFi Profis, they are official B&O resellers. The B&O salesperson there could always easily order spare parts for me...
Spare cables, spare cushions for the H8 and H6 ... even the DjKhaled Edition cable, the very long one with a coiled cord and angled connector. He finds out the Model and number and then chooses the spare part for it ...
Maybe if you guys have a store you can walk in, the person there can dig the parts out in her/his computer, I imagine the software they have to access the database is the same. 
For speakers too? Think i made a mistake by selling my beovox RL 60.2 then! The passive radiators were damaged, i put them on sale on ebaY after looking for a waytp restore them!

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #1,639 of 2,875
Could anyone recommend a powered DAC/amp that matches well with a gen1 H6? After > 100 hours of listening, my H6 seems to output a higher volume but less bass, using an iPhone 6. I didn't expect that much change.

Day to day I'm listening to lossless 16/44.1 files through an Arcam rPAC. It's...fine. It's USB powered, and it's rare to find a track where the bass has some bump. I also have UE900 in-ears. I like their sound signature less, but through the rPAC they have a lot more bass energy. No surprise since they're much easier to drive.

A portable setup would be nice, but >90% of my listening is done at a desk, so that's where I want to focus my small budget of ~$200. I plan to sell the rPAC to help fund this purchase, so I'd like a DAC/amp combo. Any suggestions for a good match?

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #1,640 of 2,875
Could anyone recommend a powered DAC/amp that matches well with a gen1 H6? After > 100 hours of listening, my H6 seems to output a higher volume but less bass, using an iPhone 6. I didn't expect that much change.

Day to day I'm listening to lossless 16/44.1 files through an Arcam rPAC. It's...fine. It's USB powered, and it's rare to find a track where the bass has some bump. I also have UE900 in-ears. I like their sound signature less, but through the rPAC they have a lot more bass energy. No surprise since they're much easier to drive.

A portable setup would be nice, but >90% of my listening is done at a desk, so that's where I want to focus my small budget of ~$200. I plan to sell the rPAC to help fund this purchase, so I'd like a DAC/amp combo. Any suggestions for a good match?

You should look up some portable DAC/Amps, something like the Cayin C5 or Oppo HA-2 might suit you well if you want a little of everything. To be honest, you won't need any more than that for the H6s.

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #1,641 of 2,875

You should look up some portable DAC/Amps, something like the Cayin C5 or Oppo HA-2 might suit you well if you want a little of everything. To be honest, you won't need any more than that for the H6s.

I use a JDS C5D, and I must say its not great, u can look at something else. Bass is lean, midbass is lacking, vocals sounds muted(but tonally good) and t treble is damn amazing with lot of details. :)

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #1,643 of 2,875
If the Oppo HA-2 were a great match, that would be good news. I'd be happy to have iPhone compatibility. If I could save $50-$100 by getting a desktop amp, the cost savings are more important to me right now, unless the newer HA-2 is driving the price down on the used market. Does anyone have direct experience with this pairing?

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #1,644 of 2,875
Hi all,

After reading all the previous post, just a question: anybody has compared the amazon cable (http://www.ebay.es/itm/NEW-Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-Bang-amp-Olufsen-Beoplay-H6-H8-headphone-/311037727218) and FURUTECH ADL iHP-35L?

Not sure if the investment for going to the Furutech (65 €) is worth it versus the amazon cable (12 €)...

I'm using BeoPlay H6 with an Astell & Kern AK70. I think that AK70 gives good sound quality, therefore I think that may be I might notice a better cable.

Thanks!

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #1,645 of 2,875
  Hi all,

After reading all the previous post, just a question: anybody has compared the amazon cable (http://www.ebay.es/itm/NEW-Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-Bang-amp-Olufsen-Beoplay-H6-H8-headphone-/311037727218) and FURUTECH ADL iHP-35L?

Not sure if the investment for going to the Furutech (65 €) is worth it versus the amazon cable (12 €)...

I'm using BeoPlay H6 with an Astell & Kern AK70. I think that AK70 gives good sound quality, therefore I think that may be I might notice a better cable.

Thanks!

Have you tried the V-MODA audio only cable?

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #1,646 of 2,875
Not tried V-Moda cable yet, I received the H6 yesterday. I'm very surprised (positively) with H6's overall sound quality. My experience with cables is that the more expensive it's not necessary the best for your needs, it's more important to find sth that is suitable to the other gear you have, and your preferences.

V-Moda cable could be one option, but I'm from Spain and I'm not sure that cable sending would cost more than the cable itself....

Thanks

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #1,647 of 2,875
Auditioned a few cans yesterday via an Audeze Deckard headphone amp with lossless files fed by an Astell & Kern Ak240 II DAP.

All comments are in comparison to my B&O H6v1:

MrSpeakers Alpha Prime - really disappointing; uncomfortable, definitely not a long wearing headphone; imaging was weaker though the bass was more detailed (more noticeable) but not significantly so.

Audeze Sine - very uncomfortable and fatiguing; imaging not as good; not as detailed.

Audeze Closed EL-8 - horrid sounding, I didn't enjoy them at all; muffled sounding; the bass is much weaker, less detailed; super heavy and uncomfortable just like my open-back LCD-2s (circa 2012) which I recently (and happily) gifted away as they were gathering dust (too heavy; sweaty; poor isolation). 

Audeze LCD-2 (circa 2016) - a much newer version LCD-2 which seemed to be a bit stronger in the bass and mids (but still weaker than my H6s) with the same imaging as my older version LCD-2s... imaging which I honestly find is only slightly better than my H6s if not almost comparable!  But like my older version LCD-2s these are still way too heavy, hurt within minutes upon wearing, and offer poor isolation.

Audeze LCD-4 - I know open-backs but I couldn't resist trying them out... wow, these are the best sounding headphone I have ever listened to!  Marvelous sounding; imaging and timbre was insane; much, much better than my H6s, however they are open-back and unfortunately, uncomfortable (just as heavy and tight feeling as my LCD-2s
triportsad.gif
  too bad).

Audeze LCD-XC - very nice, also better sounding in all regards than my H6s, however they are very uncomfortable (heavy and clampy; sweaty)

Oppo PM-3 - surprisingly, I didn't like these at all... not as comfortable (too clampy/sweaty); imaging and clarity was weaker with a narrower/smaller sound stage

B&O H6v2 - just for kicks I compared the new generation model to my old H6s... really couldn't hear much of a difference sonically, maybe they were a tad louder especially in the bass?  I too had some difficulty inserting/unplugging my V-MODA cable (an extremely tight fit) into them and upon closer examination I discovered that the input on the headphones is indeed slightly smaller than on my older H6s as reported by another member.

Now awaiting to demo the new MrSpeakers Aeon... but my H6s actually just might be my end game cans which would be great financially if true!

Definitely learned something new today concerning my B&O H6s... that they actually scale well with a nice amp.  I will need to think more on that; maybe due to their slight inefficiency (low sensitivity of 97 db)?

What I love about my H6s:

~ Comfort (I can wear them for hours on end without ever noticing them)

~ Balanced Sound (neutral, from the bass across to the treble; though there is something unexplainable about the highs... they seem more there (present) than most other headphones)

~ Imaging & Timbre (open and natural sounding; awesome clarity with excellent instrument presentation and separation; they pretend to be open-backs!)

~ Soundstage (one of the widest I ever experienced with any closed-back; far better than the HD650 and dare I say nearing that of a HD800 in fact!)

~ Isolation (offering just the right amount of isolation for my needs, tastes, travel, and work environment)

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #1,648 of 2,875
  Auditioned a few cans yesterday via an Audeze Deckard headphone amp with lossless files fed by an Astell & Kern Ak240 II DAP.

All comments are in comparison to my B&O H6v1:

MrSpeakers Alpha Prime - really disappointing; uncomfortable, definitely not a long wearing headphone; imaging was weaker though the bass was more detailed (more noticeable) but not significantly so.

Audeze Sine - very uncomfortable and fatiguing; imaging not as good; not as detailed.

Audeze Closed EL-8 - horrid sounding, I didn't enjoy them at all; muffled sounding; the bass is much weaker, less detailed; super heavy and uncomfortable just like my open-back LCD-2s (circa 2012) which I recently (and happily) gifted away as they were gathering dust (too heavy; sweaty; poor isolation). 

Audeze LCD-2 (circa 2016) - a much newer version LCD-2 which seemed to be a bit stronger in the bass and mids (but still weaker than my H6s) with the same imaging as my older version LCD-2s... imaging which I honestly find is only slightly better than my H6s if not almost comparable!  But like my older version LCD-2s these are still way too heavy, hurt within minutes upon wearing, and offer poor isolation.

Audeze LCD-4 - I know open-backs but I couldn't resist trying them out... wow, these are the best sounding headphone I have ever listened to!  Marvelous sounding; imaging and timbre was insane; much, much better than my H6s, however they are open-back and unfortunately, uncomfortable (just as heavy and tight feeling as my LCD-2s
triportsad.gif
  too bad).

Audeze LCD-XC - very nice, also better sounding in all regards than my H6s, however they are very uncomfortable (heavy and clampy; sweaty)

Oppo PM-3 - surprisingly, I didn't like these at all... not as comfortable (too clampy/sweaty); imaging and clarity was weaker with a narrower/smaller sound stage

B&O H6v2 - just for kicks I compared the new generation model to my old H6s... really couldn't hear much of a difference sonically, maybe they were a tad louder especially in the bass?  I too had some difficulty inserting/unplugging my V-MODA cable (an extremely tight fit) into them and upon closer examination I discovered that the input on the headphones is indeed slightly smaller than on my older H6s as reported by another member.

Now awaiting to demo the new MrSpeakers Aeon... but my H6s actually just might be my end game cans which would be great financially if true!

Definitely learned something new today concerning my B&O H6s... that they actually scale well with a nice amp.  I will need to think more on that; maybe due to their slight inefficiency (low sensitivity of 97 db)?

What I love about my H6s:

~ Comfort (I can wear them for hours on end without ever noticing them)

~ Balanced Sound (neutral, from the bass across to the treble; though there is something unexplainable about the highs... they seem more there (present) than most other headphones)

~ Imaging & Timbre (open and natural sounding; awesome clarity with excellent instrument presentation and separation; they pretend to be open-backs!)

~ Soundstage (one of the widest I ever experienced with any closed-back; far better than the HD650 and dare I say nearing that of a HD800 in fact!)

~ Isolation (offering just the right amount of isolation for my needs, tastes, travel, and work environment)

That treble part is the only thing which is holding me back from getting something else.! Every other headphone I tried seems to have less detail in that region on comparison. I havent tried anything more expensive than 350€ to say! But, I wont buy anything more than that for the coming year. So better not to try to avoid an unecessary craving!

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #1,649 of 2,875
  That treble part is the only thing which is holding me back from getting something else.! Every other headphone I tried seems to have less detail in that region on comparison. I havent tried anything more expensive than 350€ to say! But, I wont buy anything more than that for the coming year. So better not to try to avoid an unecessary craving!

Regarding the treble... so, I am not totally crazy nor is my hearing as bad as I thought!

I have heard/owned some really amazing headphones (Audeze LCD-4 | LCD-XC | LCD-2; Senn HD800; JVC HA-FX750 'Woody'; Shure SE535LTD-J) but unfortunately they are either open-back (poor isolation), horribly uncomfortable, and/or an IEM (which I am no longer able to wear)... the H6s are simply hard to beat.

Mar 27, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #1,650 of 2,875
I have to agree. There is something magical about these cans! My most recent headphone purchase was Focal Elears. Truly a magical headphone. But since they are SOOOO open, I need total silence to enjoy them. Also they can get a little heavy after a while. As a result I find myself reaching for my H6s (2nd Gen) over and over. They are just FUN!!! I also thought I'd mention that the V-moda 3 button cable has a slightly smaller connector diameter than the standard (remote-less) cable. Not sure why they did that but they make some some awesome cables so I'm not complaining.
My next buy is going to be the K712s. Even though they're open (semi open?) I'm curious as to how they will compare.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back