Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H6 (2nd Generation) vs. Sennheiser HD 598 Cs - A Newer & MORE POWERFUL Sith Lord Emerges??
Nov 25, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #61 of 432
hey everyone, this is my first post here. i just ordered these at amazon.ca for $110 CAD ($81 USD), really looking forward to them. going to replace my sennheiser PC 350 SE and ATH M50's.

how do these compare to the regular HD 598's? i don't have expierence with open back headphones, and i would have prefered the regular ones over these but these were half the price.

Nov 25, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #62 of 432
Bang!! one more HD598Cs 99€......Black Friday is closed here. :)

Nov 25, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #63 of 432
Do you know whether these will work plugged in a PS4 controller? I see it has a mic with single button controller, which sounds a bit vague. I'm looking at picking them up mainly for my stereo but would be a nice plus if I could use them for party chat while playing a game.

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #65 of 432
It's on sale at Amazon.ca for $109.99 CAD, which would make it about $82 USD.  Not sure if you can get it shipped to you US residents, but perhaps if you live close to border you can send it to a parcel receiving service (that's what I do at least when I shop at Amazon.com from Canada).

EDIT: I can't post links as a new user.  But try searching amazon canada!

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #66 of 432
I bought mines.

Now I need a dac/amp. 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #68 of 432
Do you know whether these will work plugged in a PS4 controller? I see it has a mic with single button controller, which sounds a bit vague. I'm looking at picking them up mainly for my stereo but would be a nice plus if I could use them for party chat while playing a game.

It should work,its an inline mic,like phone earphones cables.
I found this http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/PS4-Controller-has-a-Mic-It-seems-like-it/td-p/45403783 , should be helpful.

Nov 25, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #69 of 432

I just bought mine as well, thanks much for the great review RockStar2005 and the follow up posts.

Only other closed headphone I have is the 1st gen Philips Fidelio M1 (on ear), whose sound I don't care for, veiled, laid back with recessed highs.  In general I prefer open phones and have a bunch of various stuff, but am looking to have one decent closed pair for use when needed.  Was contemplating buying Audio-Technica ATH-M40/40x or M50/50x for years, but jumped in early on these just because Sennheiser.  I am crossing my fingers that they are great all-rounders...

You're very welcome Senn!!

Veiled? Recessed highs? Yuckk........sell that thing off already! lol 

Oh God.........PLEASE don't buy the M50x. I owned that for a short while a couple years ago. Out of the 8-10 headphones I've auditioned extensively, they were the WORST by far. Unless you LIKE awful soundstage, compressed & overly bassy sound? lol Felt like I was listening to music inside a tiny bubble around my head. And I mean that in the WORST way possible. lol You DEF made the right choice with the Cs. Just let them arrive, sit back, and enjoy! lol 

And you can uncross your fingers. They WILL be great all-rounders lol...........................................

Nov 25, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #70 of 432
  I'm having a hard time deciding which one of these two : Sennheiser HD598cs or Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Over-Ear...

Tic-Tac, 

From what I've heard/read about the Momentum 2.0, their mids and/or highs are a bit too recessed. I don't have that issue with the Cs. So I say go with the Cs. (See my recent post to know which cable and case to get to.) 

Nov 25, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #71 of 432
  hey everyone, this is my first post here. i just ordered these at amazon.ca for $110 CAD ($81 USD), really looking forward to them. going to replace my sennheiser PC 350 SE and ATH M50's.

how do these compare to the regular HD 598's? i don't have expierence with open back headphones, and i would have prefered the regular ones over these but these were half the price.

Acosis, 

Both headphones are great, but the Cs has 2 advantages over the regular 598: 1) Comfort: I felt the 598 and even 598 SE were both a bit uncomfortable..... a bit too tight on sides and also uncomfy on head. I discovered that if you angle the earcups on those 2 inwards at top, it pretty much fixes the issue. But the headband padding on those 2 is ribbed and kinda feels like it's poking into your skull (that's MY take though; many others prob wouldn't agree), but the Cs' headband padding is SMOOTH and so even more comfy. 2) The Cs' has a MUCH lower impedance and I think higher sensitivity too vs. 598/598 SE, so they get MUCH louder. 

Others have said the Cs has more bass (but still NOT overpowering bass), and that might be true. I just prefer closed-back cuz I like to use mine around ppl sometimes (i.e. train rides), so closed-back is a must for me. 

Nov 25, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #72 of 432
  I bought mines.

Now I need a dac/amp. 
rolleyes.gif

Hey Stray, 

Nice!

Aside from buying either the LG V10, V20, or HTC 10, (or perhaps the Sony Xperia XZ??), let me offer you 4 great amp/DAC options: 

1) Very Good: AudioQuest DragonFly Black v1.5 

2) Great: AudioQuest DragonFly Red v1.5

3) Excellent: Oppo HA-2SE (I have the HA-2. HA-2SE is pretty much the same but with a slightly newer DAC. It's considered by Oppo to only be a MINOR upgrade over the HA-2.) 

I've tried out the Black and own the HA-2. I was impressed by both. If convenience/portability is really important, then get 1 or 2 (they're tiny enough to look like inline remotes). But for best sound get the HA-2SE. It's still very portable and sleek so easy to hold. Also has extras like Bass Boost and battery pack option (as well rapid charging for itself). And excellent design. 

Some have said the Red outdoes the HA-2, but I can't confirm that. Plus the HA-2SE is SLIGHTLY better than the HA-2, so can't say if the Red can match or outdo it. 

Hope that helps. 

Nov 25, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #73 of 432

Hey Stray, 

Nice!

Aside from buying either the LG V10, V20, or HTC 10, (or perhaps the Sony Xperia XZ??), let me offer you 4 great amp/DAC options: 

1) Very Good: AudioQuest DragonFly Black v1.5 

2) Great: AudioQuest DragonFly Red v1.5

3) Excellent: Oppo HA-2SE (I have the HA-2. HA-2SE is pretty much the same but with a slightly newer DAC. It's considered by Oppo to only be a MINOR upgrade over the HA-2.) 

I've tried out the Black and own the HA-2. I was impressed by both. If convenience/portability is really important, then get 1 or 2 (they're tiny enough to look like inline remotes). But for best sound get the HA-2SE. It's still very portable and sleek so easy to hold. Also has extras like Bass Boost and battery pack option (as well rapid charging for itself). And excellent design. 

Some have said the Red outdoes the HA-2, but I can't confirm that. Plus the HA-2SE is SLIGHTLY better than the HA-2, so can't say if the Red can match or outdo it. 

Hope that helps. 

I was also considering the Audioengine D1, which I had the chance to test with a pair of HD600 -I know, they sound better than the HD598Cs- and I fell in love with that setup.

Nov 25, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #74 of 432
  I was also considering the Audioengine D1, which I had the chance to test with a pair of HD600 -I know, they sound better than the HD598Cs- and I fell in love with that setup.

That's cool. 

That one does look good too. The HA-2 was given "2015 Award Winner" status & a 5-star rating by What Hi-Fi, which is like my go-to reviewer. And the HA-2SE again is slightly better.

Another option is the XDuoo XD-05. It's half the price of the HA-2. Some say it's better than the HA-2, while others say no way. lol It's not as sleek/portable as the HA-2 too, but still not bad size-wise. I think Massdrop has it too. 

Well lemme know what you decide then. You won't need bass boost with the Cs. I did with my old AKG K550 MK II, but Cs has slightly more bass (in a good way, very subtle). So maybe it would just be best to choose between the Black and the Red since they're even more portable and you won't have to carry a second device in your hand. Obviously Red is the better of the two (per What Hi-Fi) vs. the Black, but up to you (read both reviews, esp the Red's). The Red also gets even louder too, though uses up a bit more of your phone's battery. One big plus with the Cs is that its sensitivity is high and impedance is very low (only 23 ohms), so both the Black and the Red should give you MORE than enough ampage/volume. Don't necessarily need the Oppo for that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back