Bands with best live sound?
Feb 2, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #17 of 49
Pretty much every band I've seen live sounded ****. The bass ALWAYS overpowers everything else. The Decemberists are probably the best I've seen though. They still had the overpowering bass problem but since they don't really use as much bass as say, Muse, it wasn't too bad.

Feb 2, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #18 of 49
Pink Floyd is the best hands down. I went in '87 and '94. Amazing. Even if it was post Waters.

Fleetwood Mac sounds terrific live.

Chicago were also great live.

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

The Decemberists are probably the best I've seen though

I agree with this. I saw them last summer in eugene. I also really like Alison Krauss and Union Station live

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #22 of 49
My father has been to many concerts and he has told me that QUEEN was by far the best he had heard and seen.

For me, Ruben Blades sounded awesome.

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #23 of 49
"Best" live bands I've seen were probably the Flaming Lips and maybe Sonic Youth. Other great shows.. the Moody Blues, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Dimmu Borgir were surprisingly good! My personal favorite, albeit moreso for the atmosphere/energy than their sound, has to be Rage Against the Machine!!

Most disappointing live shows would have to be dredg (I've seen them three times, and they're getting progressively worse) and Blind Guardian (seen twice).

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #24 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by keithdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most disappointing live shows would have to be dredg (I've seen them three times, and they're getting progressively worse)

Really? I've seen them twice now and the sound wasn't bad at all. It was amazing or anything, but I've heard worst.

I'm seeing some of my favorite bands being mentioned that I haven't seen yet. Definitely gonna catch them next time they come here!

Has anyone seen My Morning Jacket live? Supposably their live shows are very good and the sound is always top-notch. I'm going to see them in April.

Feb 4, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #26 of 49
With question Phish for me.

Feb 4, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by andy43 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I've seen them twice now and the sound wasn't bad at all. It was amazing or anything, but I've heard worst.

I suppose it was rather harsh of me to say dredg has been the worst I've seen live. The first time I saw them (right before the release of El Cielo) I was expecting a lot with all the hype I had heard about their amazing live shows, and ultimately felt disappointed. The most recent time I saw them, they were touring after the release of Catch Without Arms and I think they were having a bad day.. very unpleasant to the audience (albeit sometimes justifiably so) and didn't seem to have much fun. No synergy to speak of.

I guess, all things considered, it's certainly unfair of me to label them the "worst" band I've seen live, but rather that I have been the most "disappointed" with them (due to hype, unreal expectations, et cetera). Sadly (??
wink.gif
) I didn't catch them on their tour for Pariah.., if they even did one (
confused_face(1).gif
).

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by keithdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose it was rather harsh of me to say dredg has been the worst I've seen live. The first time I saw them (right before the release of El Cielo) I was expecting a lot with all the hype I had heard about their amazing live shows, and ultimately felt disappointed. The most recent time I saw them, they were touring after the release of Catch Without Arms and I think they were having a bad day.. very unpleasant to the audience (albeit sometimes justifiably so) and didn't seem to have much fun. No synergy to speak of.

I guess, all things considered, it's certainly unfair of me to label them the "worst" band I've seen live, but rather that I have been the most "disappointed" with them (due to hype, unreal expectations, et cetera). Sadly (??
wink.gif
) I didn't catch them on their tour for Pariah.., if they even did one (
confused_face(1).gif
).

Yeah man, I saw them the second time on their Pariah tour and they were much tighter and better that time. The first time I saw them the venue was having sound issues so the band was kind of in a bad mood. Their show was much more professional on the Pariah tour.

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #29 of 49
The Arch Enemy gig that I went to this year had an awesome mix. Michael and Chris Amott's guitar lines were distinct, I could clearly hear which one was doing a solo. Angela's vocals weren't buried in the mix, they were beautifully visceral.

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #30 of 49
Anything at the Disney Concert Hall.
smily_headphones1.gif
Just an amazing venue.

Don't overlook classical, though. It's hard to find bad sound at most performances. Even some local colleges and community orchestras can be wonderful and inexpensive to attend. No $30 t-shirts, either.
biggrin.gif

I also caught an excellent show with very good sound at the Grand Ole Opry. If you like country and roots, it's a must-see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back