Bands which are far better than their most famous song allows you to believe...
Sep 29, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #46 of 75
One just popped into my head while I was working on something... Chumbawumba's "Tubthumping" aka "I Get Knocked Down". Now, I don't mind the song that much (except the fact that it was in such heavy rotation for awhile that I thought my brains were going to leak out of my ears), but it's certainly not representative of that band. Before Tubthumper Chumbawumba was a Crass-labeled anarchist punk/post-punk band... totally anti-corporation and anti-mainstream, who dabbled in a variety of genres including some, I suppose you could say, electronica type stuff in the early 90s.

Tubthumping isn't a song that's completely alien to the Chumbawumba sound... I mean, its not indicative of their best maybe, but you know who it is when you hear it... however, lyrically, it doesn't even come close to the type of political edginess and dark humor that the band is known for. The song and its exposure to the mainstream was so completely and insanely out of step with everything they were known for it was just a shock to the system the first time I heard it. I thought the apocalypse was near when I heard tubthumping playing in the background of a commercial for my small local TV News station. Very very bizarre.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #48 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aslan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart.

oh come on! that song rocks!

I agree, I do like it, but I just think that pretty much all the songs on Closer and Unknown Pleasures are better.
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #50 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatBug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Flaming Lips - She don't use Jelly

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Radiohead and "Creep"

these.

i remember a feeling of anger and hate in me as all my music buddies raved about the flips - of course now they're tops with me!

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #55 of 75
OOH, I thought of one... Jason Mraz. His most popular song is probably "I'm Yours", but IMO his other stuff is so much better.

Oct 7, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #57 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by falis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Randy Newman - Short People. My wife was blown away when she heard the rest of his stuff.

- Ed

She's never seen a Pixar film?

Oct 8, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #59 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by falis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably not. We're out of the mainstream. :wink:

Out of the mainstream in which way? Like off the grid, living in a cabin in Montana sort of out of the mainstream, or like watching films by Godard, Paul Thomas Anderson, and Lars von Trier while sipping on cheap wine and listening to 70s B-Movie Turkish Garage Rock sort of out of the mainstream.

...Oh wait. That's me.
beyersmile.png

Oct 8, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #60 of 75
I think the point of this question is that it brings up those music artists who are generally viewed as only having one or two "good" songs, usually ones that the average music listener can recognize.

With that in mind, I definitely agree with "The Flaming Lips - She Don't Use Jelly" and "The Cardigans - Love Fool". It's not that these are bad songs, but they have other great tunes that the average listener has never heard.

My additions:

Frank Zappa - "Valley Girl". I read he hated that this was his biggest hit song.

a-ha - "Take On Me". They are only a one-hit wonder in the States! I never understood why they fizzled out here.

David Bowie - "Modern Love" or "China Girl". This was the case for the longest time, but I wonder if the new generation really knows these songs, anymore.

"Rufus Wainwright - Hallelujah". Again, probably the only song your average listener has heard from him (It was on the "Shrek" soundtrack).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back