Bands which are far better than their most famous song allows you to believe...
Sep 26, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #2 of 75
Judas Priest - "Painkiller"...that speed metal sound is completely different from their first two albums, let alone Halford vocals.

Sep 26, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #7 of 75
Todd Rundgren; "Hello It's Me" and "Bang on the Drum" (a cheesy song and a dumb song).

His catalog of music both with Utopia and as a solo artist has has explored much deeper and unique music. A true innovator for decades....

Sep 26, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #8 of 75
Talk Talk - Life's What You Make It

Sep 26, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #13 of 75
Not to be negative, but I really don't understand the point of this question. Their most famous song often hooks you to listen to more of their music. Of course you won't like what their most famous song is as much as there other stuff, your not supposed to. The record company picks which song to release as a single often times. The worst song on the album is often the big single released. Often times, record companies demand 1 song be relatively more mainstream than the rest of the album. I think almost every artist is way better than their single because Singles are much harder to reveal depth musically. That doesn't mean the singles don't sound good, but When I say, this artist is really good, it is never because I listed to a track list of their singles. You buy a Greatest hits because the band is catchy, but you don't really like them, just the songs. You buy every album for artists you like.

Really, this list can be expanded to all artists who have more than 1 hit. Now, I do not by any means mean the pop artists such as britney spears, because her entire alubm consists of songs like her singles, but her music isn't made to be listened to, it is made to be played at a party where everyone is trying to get laid.

So even after I make that point, almost every artist is better than their most popular song if they have had more than one hit because the have made it to the top teir of their trade. Perhaps some are musically genous, and others are just good back ground music for social events.

That is why I find this question to be a little weird.

Sep 26, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #14 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Case and point....

Def Leppard "Pour Some Sugar On Me".........Great band, but a really cheesy song........

your turn:)

I'd say DL's most famous song is Rock of Ages, making it one of their best and what followed somewhat disappointing.

BTW, I believe the phrase is case in point.

Sep 26, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #15 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to be negative, but I really don't understand the point of this question. Their most famous song often hooks you to listen to more of their music. Of course you won't like what their most famous song is as much as there other stuff, your not supposed to. The record company picks which song to release as a single often times. The worst song on the album is often the big single released. Often times, record companies demand 1 song be relatively more mainstream than the rest of the album. I think almost every artist is way better than their single because Singles are much harder to reveal depth musically. That doesn't mean the singles don't sound good, but When I say, this artist is really good, it is never because I listed to a track list of their singles. You buy a Greatest hits because the band is catchy, but you don't really like them, just the songs. You buy every album for artists you like.

Really, this list can be expanded to all artists who have more than 1 hit. Now, I do not by any means mean the pop artists such as britney spears, because her entire alubm consists of songs like her singles, but her music isn't made to be listened to, it is made to be played at a party where everyone is trying to get laid.

So even after I make that point, almost every artist is better than their most popular song if they have had more than one hit because the have made it to the top teir of their trade. Perhaps some are musically genous, and others are just good back ground music for social events.

That is why I find this question to be a little weird.

I'm not trying to say that most bands most famous songs are their best. I'm trying to say that very often a GREAT band has their biggest success with a song which is not up to the quality they usually portray.....If you take a band like Nirvana, The Who, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, their most famous song may or may not be your favorite, but it's still a great song.......whereas some bands suffer an incredible blow when they become known for something that is so far beneath what they're capable of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back