bands that get better as they get older?
Jan 25, 2007 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Turnaround

100+ Head-Fier
seems like a lot of rock & roll bands lose their magic when they get older ... but bluesmen hit their stride as they get older. any rock & roll bands that get better as they get older??

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 46
Actual Rock n' Roll? I can't think of any off the top of my head. The first thing that came to mind when I read the title of this thread was Cradle of Filth. They started off with typical sounding black metal. IMO, ever since they started to get into the goth metal they play now, specifically with "Midian" they have done nothing but sound good.

Jan 25, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beatle

There are actually 2 of them left, but sometimes people forget about Ringo. Poor guy. No, not that kind of poor...

Jan 25, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreCowbell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hip Hip Hip!

The Tragically Hip.

Last few times I heard Gord Downy singing live, it sounded like a dying frog. They've also really moved into pop territory, which is only kind of a shame, since they still manage to rock.

Further Canadian picks:

Blue Rodeo (and solo offerings from Jim Cuddy and Greg Keelor)
Big Sugar
The Tea Party (though I personally haven't liked anything beyond their debut)

Jan 25, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #10 of 46
This is a really good topic, IMO.

I can think of long running bands that were amazing when they started and are fantastic today, but had a slump, meaning a time when they were not so amazing. The best example of this is Depeche Mode: while I think Exciter and Ultra were good albums, not even the most hardcore DM fan can say they were on the same level as Music For The Masses, Black Celebration, Violator, or even Songs Of Faith And Devotion, and they certainly don't touch DM's newest release, Playing The Angel, which, far from the stereotypical "return to form", is actually the creation of an entirely new form. 25 year old bands aren't supposed to make albums like Angel. Freaking amazing.
580smile.gif

Hmmm, Tom Waits might be a truer answer to the OP. He released a lot of excellent albums early-mid career, but it is arguable that his best works were his 90's albums he wrote years after he sobered up: Alice, Mule Variations, etc. I haven't heard his latest, Orphans, but the critics are having a rock aneurysm over it.
icon10.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, Tom Waits might be a truer answer to the OP. He released a lot of excellent albums early-mid career, but it is arguable that his best works were his 90's albums he wrote years after he sobered up: Alice, Mule Variations, etc. I haven't heard his latest, Orphans, but the critics are having a rock aneurysm over it.
icon10.gif

you know, i thought about Tom Waits, too, when i read the thread title. he definitely got better as he went along, but i still think his 80s output with Island Records is his best...

i collectively refer to Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs and Frank's Wild Years as the Holy Trinity.

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #14 of 46
ooh... i'll submit Stereolab for your consideration.

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ooh... i'll submit Stereolab for your consideration.

That remains to be seen, since the accident
frown.gif
. I'm still skeptical over the rumoured upcoming album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back