bands that get better as they get older?
Jan 26, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to get flamed for this, so go nuts....but, I think Green Day has gotten way better. I mean, there's always Dookie to look up to, but American Idiot is revolutionary

Yep, I'll challenge this.

Revolutionary? Corporate stylized pop music hasn't been 'revolutionary' for at least two decades.

Jan 26, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, I'll challenge this.

Revolutionary? Corporate stylized pop music hasn't been 'revolutionary' for at least two decades.

No? How many other punk concept albums do you see? The last time I checked, two 9 minute suites were the furthest thing from "corporate stylized pop music" there is. Sure, there are a couple of popular singles (Wake Me, American Idiot, Boulevard), but those not only promote the album, they fit within the whole story of the album. Plus, ever listen to the lyrics? Green Day managed to be discontent at postmodern, post-9/11 American society without falling into the pitfalls of popular rebellion, aka "I hate Bush." The album follows the character arc of an individual wrestling with the demons of living in a world where democracy is a front, individuality is rife and choice is futile. It's an album about coming of age, and realize that there is nothing to come in to.

Jan 26, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

"Piper", "DSOTM", and "Ummagumma" are my favorites... Roger Waters domination of their later career was the band-destroyer, but I still think none of them regained their strength after Syd was kicked out of the group, especially Rick Wright, who is an extremely capable jazz pianist (but nobody knew that
frown.gif
).

I love DSOTM and the experimental/collaborative phase of Floyd, but you could really see that the band soon had no option to turn to but Waters. In WYWH, "Shine On" Pt. 1 and the title track were great, but what do Wright and Gilmour turn to in the end? Rewriting "One Of These Days" to round out the album, not exactly a sign of brimming creativity. Animals is my favorite right now, and second to DSOTM in the impact it's made on me. Sure, Waters dominates, but Gilmour still gets a lot of great solos in, and Wright still has a brief moment to shine. I'll agree with you that Waters' domination generally got worse, but he still didn't do anything compared to the mind-numbing dullness also known as Momentary Lapse of Reason (all Gilmour's fault).

I can't really think of anybody in my collection that's gotten better with age...maybe Jimi Hendrix from the awesome Are You Experienced? to the even better Electric Ladyland, but that doesn't really count.

Jan 26, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No? How many other punk concept albums do you see? The last time I checked, two 9 minute suites were the furthest thing from "corporate stylized pop music" there is. Sure, there are a couple of popular singles (Wake Me, American Idiot, Boulevard), but those not only promote the album, they fit within the whole story of the album. Plus, ever listen to the lyrics? Green Day managed to be discontent at postmodern, post-9/11 American society without falling into the pitfalls of popular rebellion, aka "I hate Bush." The album follows the character arc of an individual wrestling with the demons of living in a world where democracy is a front, individuality is rife and choice is futile. It's an album about coming of age, and realize that there is nothing to come in to.

Elementary garbage.

Greenday changed their image, their looks, their sound, and their style, and added a bunch of political agendas, and found themselves at the top of the money-making artists of the music industry. Nothing better than a good producer and promoter to make sub-par musicians and "poets" look brilliant to a huge demographic of stary-eyed young consumers.

Don't call "American Idiot" a work of punk rock. It's not. It's pop music, manufactured by a major record label and its employees to sell the most amount of copies. Down at NYU, the marketing strategy for this particular approach is called the "pseudo-art" campaign. In practice, it's meant to make the consumer feel a false sense of maturity and artistic comprehension upon listening. I wrote an entire thesis on it.

'Revolutionary' works of music come from people who completely reinvent the wheel for music. Believe me, if a pop group did this, the scholars would be up in arms and cheering - many would claim that we'd be entering a musical golden age. In reality, however, this is not so.

Jan 26, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love DSOTM and the experimental/collaborative phase of Floyd, but you could really see that the band soon had no option to turn to but Waters. In WYWH, "Shine On" Pt. 1 and the title track were great, but what do Wright and Gilmour turn to in the end? Rewriting "One Of These Days" to round out the album, not exactly a sign of brimming creativity. Animals is my favorite right now, and second to DSOTM in the impact it's made on me. Sure, Waters dominates, but Gilmour still gets a lot of great solos in, and Wright still has a brief moment to shine. I'll agree with you that Waters' domination generally got worse, but he still didn't do anything compared to the mind-numbing dullness also known as Momentary Lapse of Reason (all Gilmour's fault).

I can't really think of anybody in my collection that's gotten better with age...maybe Jimi Hendrix from the awesome Are You Experienced? to the even better Electric Ladyland, but that doesn't really count.

I see where you're coming from and respect your opinion. However, I will mention that Waters was never the production or musical genius behind the band. He didn't have much to do with Dark Side of the Moon's utter brilliance, nor did he write many musical parts. Gilmore ended up writing a lot of Waters' bass parts!

Yes, there are points in Pink Floyd's history where the other musicians didn't demonstrate an immense amount of creativity, but this is, hopefully, outdone by their otherwise brilliant musicianship and innovation before the "Wish You Were Here" period. "The Wall" and "The Final Cut" continue to be one of my least favorite releases of all time specifically due to them being Roger Waters' incoherent pretentious mind-numbing "rock operas" of the lowest grade. I believe strongly that the other musicians, in the later years, didn't live up to their hype directly due to Roger Waters' increasing control over the group's output, and their resulting response to this.

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleisgreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously? Self titled and toxicity were their best. Not that the more recent is that bad, it's just not as good as before.

Tool until 10,000 days, I mean opiate < undertow < aenima < lateralus

Totally serious. I liked (and still like) their first albums, but I find that Hypnotize and Mesmerize really show how they've come along musically.

The more I listen to 10,000 Days, the more I find it to be a synthesis of the best parts of Aenima and Lateralus. I wouldn't say it's better, but much like my point about SoaD, it shows how the band is progressing and growing with the skills they have.

Mind you, this is how I'm choosing to define 'getting better' so it's up for interpretation and different opinions.

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

"The Wall" and "The Final Cut" continue to be one of my least favorite releases of all time specifically due to them being Roger Waters' incoherent pretentious mind-numbing "rock operas" of the lowest grade.

If you find them to be pretentious you've missed Waters' humour in both of these albums. It diffuses them a good deal.

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #39 of 46
u2 had something going until 'all that you cannot leave behind' where they seemed to go mainstream and play back all melodies instead of remaking an album each time. but till then, over 20 years of great changes and getting better with age!

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Elementary garbage.

Greenday changed their image, their looks, their sound, and their style, and added a bunch of political agendas, and found themselves at the top of the money-making artists of the music industry. Nothing better than a good producer and promoter to make sub-par musicians and "poets" look brilliant to a huge demographic of stary-eyed young consumers.

Don't call "American Idiot" a work of punk rock. It's not. It's pop music, manufactured by a major record label and its employees to sell the most amount of copies. Down at NYU, the marketing strategy for this particular approach is called the "pseudo-art" campaign. In practice, it's meant to make the consumer feel a false sense of maturity and artistic comprehension upon listening. I wrote an entire thesis on it.

'Revolutionary' works of music come from people who completely reinvent the wheel for music. Believe me, if a pop group did this, the scholars would be up in arms and cheering - many would claim that we'd be entering a musical golden age. In reality, however, this is not so.

Arm-chair, white tower garbage.

All right, this is going to be my last rebuttal before I go my own way. In the end, I like the music I like, I think what I think, and you feel free to do so yourself.

First of all, it's Green Day, not Greenday. Not to nit-pick, but when the first word you type is the band's name misspelled, you lose credibility. Of course they changed their look, their image and their style - they've been around since 1989. For those keeping track at home, that's rounding on 18 years now. Any band that makes it for more than a couple of years has, to some degree, roll with the punches. You say they're political and money-making, I say listen to 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours or Kerplunk...these are DIY albums in every sense of the word punk, and they still contain political elements. And no, they are not as overtly political as American Idiot, but then again, it is indeed a new direction for them. As for "starry-eyed young consumers," I again refer you to the fact that a huge portion of their fans have been following since Dookie, so, a good 13 years now, if not from before. People who were old enough to make up the demographics of Dookie 13 years ago are definitely not "starry-eyed young consumers". As for them being sub-par musicians...well, if you're looking for technical mastery of an instrument, I don't think you should exactly be looking at punk. Try classical music.

American Idiot is punk rock. It also is pop right now. The Beatles were pop. These bands are indeed pop-ular. They are not pop in the sense that pop has become a musical genre in the last couple of decades. Unfortunately, any band that breaks into the mainstream gets labeled with "pop": it happened to the Beatles when they broke rock into the mainstream, it happened with Nirvana when they released Nevermind and brought alternative music to the mainstream, and now it's happening to Green Day for bringing in the new wave of punk to the mainstream. It doesn't help that their followers are definitely less than able. This is part of where Green Day gets so much of its bad rep - because bands like Blink 182, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, etc, were derived from the success of Green Day, people automatically assume that Green Day is indeed Blink 182, Simple Plan or Good Charlotte.

As far as revolutionary goes, I still stand by my original thought. Green Day is bringing the new wave of punk to the scene. After the Big Three - the Sex Pistols, the Clash and the Ramones - the '80s were dominated by experimental post-punk. Not since the early '80s has a band tried to extend the original punk legacy as successfully as Green Day has. And again, of course they've changed. The music scene today is not what it was in 1977.

I haven't seen any marketing of American Idiot that goes to any of the ridiculous lengths that you claim. If anything, the marketing around American Idiot was focused around the 2004 elections and ensuing political disasters, as well as the three singles. And in that respect, yes, American Idiot does seem bloated. But, as usual, those who do not understand a work of art end up looking at the sky from the bottom of a well.

As far as feeling a false sense of maturity and artistic comprehension, well, the feeling is quite subjective. You could argue that when encoding the album's semiotics in Stuart Hall's sense, the record label pulled from the available discourse to manipulate our emotions. Sure, all rebellion could be manufactured - we can never know. People who listened to the Sex Pistols could feel exactly what the dominant ideology needed them to feel in order to pull that sector of the population within its hegemonic fold. When decoding it, I like to believe that texts, especially works of art, are pluralistic, rather than polysemous. You feel what you feel from the text. I like to believe that 1977 punk is a real rebellion. It would make me sad to think that it was all a farce, and in the end the culture industry impresses the same stamp on everything. So, your thesis believes it's fake, I - the consumer, the listener, and most importantly, the fan - love to believe it's real.

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by toastmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The more I listen to 10,000 Days, the more I find it to be a synthesis of the best parts of Aenima and Lateralus. I wouldn't say it's better, but much like my point about SoaD, it shows how the band is progressing and growing with the skills they have.

10,000 days is really good, but I can't listen to the actual CD. They seriously messed up on that track order. The get you ralled up, then feed you 20 minutes of slower stuff. then they get you going again, then give you some chants. if you put the like stuff together ( Lipan conuring > vicarious > jambi > the pot > Lost Keys > Rosetta Stoned > Intension > right in two > wings pt.1/pt.2 > Virgini Tre) It flows a lot better, and I find more listenable, maybe to the level of aenima and lateralus.

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleisgreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
10,000 days is really good, but I can't listen to the actual CD. They seriously messed up on that track order. The get you ralled up, then feed you 20 minutes of slower stuff.

I definitely agree with you on this, but it also wouldn't surprise me if it were intended. I actually enjoy the way the CD is now because I can listen to it in thirds if I don't have time for a full album all at once (walk to school, drive home, etc.)

Jan 26, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh! Bad Religion!

no.
compare their later albums with 'suffer', 'no control' and 'against the grain'.

Jan 26, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ns6490 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Leonard Cohen

you really believe 'ten songs' and 'dear heather' to be the culmination of his career? i doubt that many will agree, mr. cohen included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back