bands that get better as they get older?
Jan 25, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I definitely feel that the later Dream Theater releases trounce their first album.

Dream Theater got better and better and climaxed at Six Degrees. Everything after that has gotten worse, IMO. I'm waiting to see what happens next.

Tool is a band that shows improvement as time goes on. System of a Down is another off the top of my head.

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #18 of 46
I can't think of any
That made me sad

Pearl Jam: i thought last album didn't stack up to their earlier stuff
Radiohead: Hail to the thief was.. ok

Ooh i've got one, Sigur ros.. Not necessarily 'better' but at least as great as when they started

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That remains to be seen, since the accident
frown.gif
. I'm still skeptical over the rumoured upcoming album.

you mean the death of Mary Hansen? they released Margerine Eclipse soon after she died, and it was their best album since Dots and Loops.

Jan 25, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielBurns11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Lawrence Arms just get better and better with every release.

As much as I love the Larry Arms, Oh! Calcutta was a major let down to me... at least in comparison to The Greatest Story Ever Told. Then again I have always preferred the vocal stylings (and content) of Chris's songs of which there are far too few on their newest effort. Coupled with the annoying decision to track Brendan's vocals louder on the Chris tracks, I found myself feeling traumatized and violated by this newest effort. That being said they do have one of the best track records of any band I can think of ATM. Sorry for the rant
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by toastmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dream Theater got better and better and climaxed at Six Degrees. Everything after that has gotten worse, IMO. I'm waiting to see what happens next.

Tool is a band that shows improvement as time goes on. System of a Down is another off the top of my head.

I generally agree, except I think Live at Budokan was their climax. (well it's a pretty hard decision between Budokan and Six Degrees)

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you mean the death of Mary Hansen? they released Margerine Eclipse soon after she died, and it was their best album since Dots and Loops.

I really liked Fab Four Suture too. They replaced Mary's vocals, so to speak, with horns.
I'm really looking forward to a new release from them. Seems like they've slowed down.

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I definitely feel that the later Dream Theater releases trounce their first album.

i'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one... i think they may have reached their climax at Scenes from a Memory. the title track of Octavarium was great, but the rest wasn't up to snuff...

i think Porcupine Tree is just getting better and better. their first album was meh, then The Sky moves Sideways and Voyage were nice, and after that they started getting more easily likeable and i think their last three albums were just amazing. looking forward to 4-24

Jan 26, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by toastmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
System of a Down is another off the top of my head.

Seriously? Self titled and toxicity were their best. Not that the more recent is that bad, it's just not as good as before.

Tool until 10,000 days, I mean opiate < undertow < aenima < lateralus

Jan 26, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #29 of 46
I'm going to get flamed for this, so go nuts....but, I think Green Day has gotten way better. I mean, there's always Dookie to look up to, but American Idiot is revolutionary

Jan 26, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Musehead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YES

Pink Floyd w/Division Bell

"Piper", "DSOTM", and "Ummagumma" are my favorites... Roger Waters domination of their later career was the band-destroyer, but I still think none of them regained their strength after Syd was kicked out of the group, especially Rick Wright, who is an extremely capable jazz pianist (but nobody knew that
frown.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back