baldur mk2 cable with westone 4R
Dec 1, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #63 of 77
Quote:
where to get a silver/gold hybrid cable??

Its an extremely expensive cable and while the improvements are massive your better off going with the baldur MK2 which is an
excellent price to performance ratio

Quote:
Is this upgrade cable worth? Is it softer then stock, and does it improve on sound?

Yes it is softer than stock and excellent value for money imo

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #64 of 77
I can't believe I'm unable to locate this, but I just can't seem to find where one goes about purchasing the Baldur MK 2 cable. I've searched these forums, google, nordstom, Westone, etc. no links to a site to buy that's could recognize. I'm a newbie, so obviously missing something. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Finally found them on eBay and found that someone had posted a link on page four of this thread. Weird that I couldn't find it via google. Thought I tried searching both mk2 and mkii, but maybe not. Anyway, still interested in whether there are other sources...sorry for the total newbie fail!

Thanks too for the great discussion about the W4. I had these headphones and absolutely love them. I'm planning to modify them to have replaceable cables and now am wondering where to get all these fantastic cables folks write about.

Enjoying these posts!

Spence

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #65 of 77
any thoughts on mk2 vs mk3? the description says the mk3 has more bass. But not sure if thats just more of the mid bass spike or real deeper extension. Also wonder if they are the same feel in weight and flex.

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #66 of 77
Quote:
any thoughts on mk2 vs mk3? the description says the mk3 has more bass. But not sure if thats just more of the mid bass spike or real deeper extension. Also wonder if they are the same feel in weight and flex.

imo it seems like the mk1/mk2/mk2 super duper special unicorn hair solid core cables are a little gimmicky 

dont get me wrong, cables do make a difference in sound signatures. however how much difference is really subjective. and the fact that nowadays you could build a extremely good quality cable yourself using the best cable,connectors ect for a fraction of the price.and if you yourself there are locals here like btg and chrishimself that make excellent cables.

personally i didnt like the baldur mk2 sound.. although when i compared the mk2, it was to the pure silver dream cable....but i felt the baldur was dark in presence, almost like veiled. the bass was dynamic was too dark imo. detail just wasnt all there.

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #67 of 77
I've tried the Baldur MK III Cable with my Westone 4R and have to say that there isn't an audible difference between that and the stock cable. I switched back and forth in frustration as they both sounded exactly the same to these ears.

I have concluded that cables do nothing to the sound and are just there to look pretty.

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #70 of 77
Hi all, I've seen the Baldur cable mentioned and recommended in dozens of threads here but never once was it mentioned what it's made of.

Is it silver, copper, SPC, some hybrid or what?

Would appreciate it if someone could shed some light on the matter, thanks.

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #71 of 77
From what I remember I believe it is silver plated copper. I used to have it and found it to be rather unimpressive esp for the price imo. You can get s much better cabke for much cheaper or at the same prixe point but still better imo

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #73 of 77
Thanks mate for the insight. I have a set on its way and I can't wait to see how it fares against a $60 OCC cable that I'm currently using. In un-amped conditions especially.

Any thoughts on pure silver cables? I was actually considering the Whiplash TWAG v3 but ditched the idea when I saw the $300 price tag.

Quote:
From what I remember I believe it is silver plated copper. I used to have it and found it to be rather unimpressive esp for the price imo. You can get s much better cabke for much cheaper or at the same prixe point but still better imo

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #74 of 77
Quote:
Thanks mate for the insight. I have a set on its way and I can't wait to see how it fares against a $60 OCC cable that I'm currently using. In un-amped conditions especially.

Any thoughts on pure silver cables? I was actually considering the Whiplash TWAG v3 but ditched the idea when I saw the $300 price tag.

depends, IMO pre silver is where its at.

ive owned the :
toxic silver posion 7n upocc pure silver/gold
neotech pure silver cable 
6n occ pure silver tralucent audio cable
5n ooc pure silver ''dream'' cable

the only thing about silver is that it has a tendency to brighten up the sound.  so you have to take that into consideration when pairing all of your equipment up, if you get a bright cable, bright amp, ect you will have a really bright sound.

best cable ive used to date is the toxic cable, as it still does brighten up the sound and its a really clean sound, however unlike the other cables the toxic silver poison adds in great bass extension, deep, impactful...other cables ive tried dont tend to add to the bass section but some actually take away from the bass as when the mids are push forward and the highs sparkle more the low end freq tends to stay behind hence brighter sound.

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #75 of 77
Coming with a background in technology (and a fair amount of home theater tinkering), I fail to see how a cable can "significantly improve sound" is any at all. IMO, someone is making some nice $ selling you those cables. If there is an improvement, IMO, it maybe placebo or rather a "change" than improvement. Of course, I may be missing something...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back