Balanced TRRS Connector on Future Hifiman IEMs
Nov 25, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #31 of 33
We are both half right. I encountered this very early on with my very first balanced IEMs (RE252). The amps that I tried plugging into directly worked (of course, I only had one or two at the time). So I just did a little experiment. RE600 (balanced TRRS) plugged into Chord Mojo (source - optical from AK120) plays only on the right channel. Same RE600 plugged into Vorzuge Pure II amp (source - line out from AK120) play both channels. My original post should have said SOME amps.

I had this same conversation with Peter from Double Helix Cable. I had ordered a bunch of short converter cables and he didn't make the balanced 3.5mm TRRS to unbalanced TRS, insisting that it wasn't needed (at least on the amps that he was familiar with) and I explained about all the DAPs and smart devices that would need the converter cable because of the remote/mic issue.

Hi, I know this is an old thread and my question is probably stupid.

I am looking for a DAP and I've noticed many have the 2.5mm TRRS balanced out. I have already bought some cables that are unbalanced with a 3.5mm TRS plug. Would there be any consequences in plugging my cables into a balanced output using a 2.5mm male > 3.5mm female interconnect?

Will the SQ suffer anything?

I don't want to purchase another set of cables (balanced) just for my DAP's. And of course I can always use the unbalanced 3.5mm output as well, but after some heavy reading, it seems that balanced output has better soundstage and clarity?

Thank you for your expertise and time!

Dec 13, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #32 of 33
Make your trs into balance and then use a trrs to trs adapter. This way you can be ready for both at anytime. A couple of places sells them. You can make tjis happen yourself in theory. But soldering tiny wires into tiny contacts is for those who have to and those who need punishment to believe they are alive, just kidding on the latter part. But it can be difficult manual labor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back