Balanced sounding, bass leaning headphones on a budget?
Sep 8, 2012 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bumaaka

New Head-Fier
    Hello guys, another noob, wannabe audiophile here, wanting to purchase a good, solid entry level headphone. My budget is 100 dollars or less. I mainly listen to hip hop and some punk, alternative, and electronic music. I want a headphone with a balanced sound but is good for hip hop. I don't care about portability, as they are mainly for home use. I've checked ljokerls shootout comparison thread, and there seems to be lots of choices but I can't make my mind up xD
     I'm looking into the CAL! and the XB500, and they seem like they'd fit my purposes, but I'm worried about the CAL!s durability, and I think the XB500 might have too much bass. Halp pls. Thanks! Also, I'm also interested in the JVC HA-S500s, anyone have any experience with those?

Sep 8, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 9
Not sure which JVCs you are talking about there, but the JVC HA-RX900's sound like they might fit the bill.  They are very balanced and detailed, but still lean toward the warmer (bass) end of the spectrum.  The bass is a bit stronger out of the box than after break in.

The xb500 is probably a little too bassy to be called "balanced" but if that is the kind of bass you want, it is not a bad deal.

I don't know a thing about the CAL!.

Good luck to you, and of course....Sorry about your wallet.

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 9
I've had the XB500 and the XB700 at the same time, and I would absolutely recommend the XB700 over the XB500. It's still under $100 and has superior clarity and low bass extension compared to its little brother.

I don't think either are real balanced, but the XB700 is more so of the two. You could also try to snag a DT770 Pro off ebay for around $100. I'd recommend it over the others you've mentioned so far.

Best Regards

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #6 of 9
I own a set of HA-S500s, and they sound WONDERFUL but they can get a bit uncomfortable after two hours or so.

The bass has some serious rumble, but only when the song calls for it. The mids are present, and right about where they should be volume wise. They were designed for portable use, which is actually a good thing in your case, because this means that you won't need to purchase an amp for them. The highs are a tiny bit bright, but nothing bad at all. It's one of the best headphones I've ever heard, and once I get my FiiO E10 in, it'll definitely be my "daily driver".

Sep 15, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Jvc ha-s500 is 75$ on ebay check em out
wink.gif

Quote:
I own a set of HA-S500s, and they sound WONDERFUL but they can get a bit uncomfortable after two hours or so.

The bass has some serious rumble, but only when the song calls for it. The mids are present, and right about where they should be volume wise. They were designed for portable use, which is actually a good thing in your case, because this means that you won't need to purchase an amp for them. The highs are a tiny bit bright, but nothing bad at all. It's one of the best headphones I've ever heard, and once I get my FiiO E10 in, it'll definitely be my "daily driver".

Quote:
+1 jvc s500.

+1 on the HA-S500.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back