Balanced signature with slight warmth/color, strong punchy bass, sparkly treble, high isolation, mids not recessed
Jan 24, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #46 of 50

Quote:
Have you considered the fx700?

If high isolation is a priority, I do not think the FX700 will be a great choice being quite significantly ported.

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #48 of 50
Agreed, isolation on the FX700 is below average.... But the magnitude of their bass and sparkle of their treble are simple made for edm.

I've owned the SM3, and still own the GR07, and can safely say that isolation aside, the FX700 beats them easily on all accounts when it comes to edm. At least that's my experience. I was very impressed by how the SM3 rendered drum & bass and some hard trance, but quite underwhelmed when it came to psytrance or acid-teckno. It just doesn't have the sparkle to capture all those mind bending nuances.

Gilly87, I've seen Infected Mushroom live plenty of times. I've seen many psytrance artists live over the years, gone to many psy-parties, and been following Goa since it's inception in the early 90's. This subgenere is to me the ultimate expression of psychedelic dance music... and the FX700 is to me, the ultimate vessell to channel these squelching acid sounds straight into your cerebrum where they'll synergize with your synaptic solutions, filtering out ego pollutions amidst amnesic revolutions. Or something.

And to continue with my unapologetic subjectivity, I'm currently listening to Cosmosis, which is old-school ('95 I think), but nevertheless the FX700s render it sparkly, fresh and bludgeoning powerful... like old school Goa, with a contemporary phatty bombatty psytrance production. Mind blowing.

In the interests of objectivity, I'll say that I've tried psytrance with all the iems in my sig. Some were passable, some very good... none were even close to the FX700.

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #49 of 50
W3s it is.

Quote:
I agree with the statement that the vocals are upfront on the w3 , they definitely are not shy or recessed at all ,combined with the bright treble the vocals can be very sibilant for some people ,including me , i overcome this by using two monster foam supertips on comply cores to eliminate the sibilance, however the gro7 is also very sibilant ,and although drums sounded very good , the treble plus the lack of mid/upper bass just sounded off to me , had the gro7 about 3 weeks than sold it on , had the w3 well over a year and still own them and enjoy there sound, the mid bass does make them a warm sounding but still with a very bright treble and the vocals are always very present and prominent within the mix. The w3 is one of the best i own for isolation by the way ,very good design .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back