Balanced Jotunheim w/ HD800?
Jul 13, 2017 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cossix

Headphoneus Supremus
Is the Jotunheim a terrible pairing with the HD800? I'm looking for a more analytical headphone with good soundstage to round out my HD650/Jotunheim setup. I don't really want to buy another amp just to use with my next and final pair. I have a budget of $1000 or less for the headphone.
I'm open to suggestions for a headphone that compliments the 650 and provides a different experience. I like the 650 for when I want to connect emotionally with the music and just enjoy it, but I also want a pair to use when I want to enjoy as much detail as possible.
Signal Chain: PC (DSD64, FLAC 24/192) > Jotunheim Balanced DAC > Jotunheim Balanced amp > HD650

I enjoy a bit of every type of music except country, but I wouldn't care too much if my next pair is "only good with XYZ types of music". I also would like to experience planar cans, if any major companies offer something that would work for me. I've considered the LCD series second most, and HiFiMan third most. Thanks!

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 8
The AKG K812 is more immediately detailed than the HD800.
It's a great headphone for critical listening.

Jul 14, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 8
LCD2 that I had is a fun headphone but hd800 is more detail; also consider that the lcd weight is killing your neck. I've heard that Jot is bright but I am not sure myself because I never had it; if it does, it might not be the best pairing. Recently, I mod my 6XX and now I feel like I am having a new set of headphone. The clarity, soundstage, airiness and bass, all of them are better with the new mod. For a long listening session, I could easily pick the modded 6XX over my HD800 SDR mod. If you could try that, it might save you $1000 for a new headphone :ksc75smile:

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #4 of 8
LCD2 that I had is a fun headphone but hd800 is more detail; also consider that the lcd weight is killing your neck. I've heard that Jot is bright but I am not sure myself because I never had it; if it does, it might not be the best pairing. Recently, I mod my 6XX and now I feel like I am having a new set of headphone. The clarity, soundstage, airiness and bass, all of them are better with the new mod. For a long listening session, I could easily pick the modded 6XX over my HD800 SDR mod. If you could try that, it might save you $1000 for a new headphone :ksc75smile:
Which mod?

Jul 14, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 8
I removed the spider and foam. After that I applied the dynamat as shown in the pic. Ignore the word because I posted this on instagram lol.
IMG_20170714_100516_148.jpg

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 8
I've actually tried this setup and didn't like it. It made the HD800 very trebly and sibilant.

I think it'll pair better with a warmer amp - tubes especially.

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 8
LCD-2 is more alike the HD650 than unlike it...In fact its often referred to as the "logical upgrade" to the HD650,so if you want to avoid redundancy I'd look elsewhere.

I think most revealing HPs like the HD800/Beyer T1.2/AKG812 are going to sound quite bright from your Jot

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 8
LCD-2 is more alike the HD650 than unlike it...In fact its often referred to as the "logical upgrade" to the HD650,so if you want to avoid redundancy I'd look elsewhere.

Agreed. I end up sell my lcd2 due to its weight even though it sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back