Balanced Desktop - Power Supply
Mar 6, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #31 of 54
I just received my Ultra Desktop Amp and Desktop Power Supply today. So recently, in fact, that I have not yet tried it out! This is a huge upgrade for me, and I am not wanting to rush anything.

Does it matter whether I place the DPS on top of the amp, or the amp on top of the DPS? Or is this just a matter of personal preference? I looked online for photos and saw the amp sitting atop the DPS on two occasions, but also saw the reverse once as well.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #33 of 54
DPS below for me. Allows the amp to dissipate heat better, makes it easier to access the back panel and looks nicer as well IMO.

And yes, the DPS does make a difference to me
smily_headphones1.gif

Here are some of my thoughts on the Balanced Desktop with PSU: A new addition to the family: Headroom Balanced Desktop - SGHeadphones

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #34 of 54
I now have the amp on top of the DPS. It does make the amp easier to access in the back, but it is slightly harder to turn off the DPS. I have to reach up and over the stack to find the power switch. But even though I use the DPS power switch more often than I find the need to mess with the rear inputs/outputs of the amp, I still prefer this setup. It looks better, and the amp does run hotter than the DPS (although the heat doesn't seem like it will ever be a problem regardless).
Thanks for the input.

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #35 of 54
Another DPS question.
When I turn the unit off, the green light stays on for a while before dimming and then finally going out. Is this normal? I want to make sure just in case this might be a reflection of something going wrong with an internal component.

edit: it takes around 30 seconds for the light to fade out entirely.

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #36 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huuvola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another DPS question.
When I turn the unit off, the green light stays on for a while before dimming and then finally going out. Is this normal? I want to make sure just in case this might be a reflection of something going wrong with an internal component.

edit: it takes around 30 seconds for the light to fade out entirely.

It's known as a large power supply capacitor and you wouldn't want to be doing without it...

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #37 of 54
Sorry, I don't think I was clear enough in my previous post.

When I'm done using my desktop amp, I turn it off. Then I turn off my DPS. But after I turn the DPS off, the light stays on a lot longer (~30 secs) than I am used to seeing in electronic equipment.
I am just wanting to make sure this is not a sign of a problem. If this happens to other owners of the power supply then I am not worried., but if it particular to my unit only, then I need to take action.

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #40 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerrycan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have the DPS and the led stays on for a while too after turning of the DPS.
The large power supply capacitor(s) slowly unload, nothing to worry about.

Yupper! That's correct. Nothing to worry about.

Mar 22, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #42 of 54
Well, I have the DPS below the UDA because in fact the UDA runs heater than the Power Supply and this way I get better heat dissipation

Now my own question
L3000.gif

Anyone knows if it is necessary to turn off both modules when you go to bed? or in fact doing so we are shorting the DPS and UDA useful life ??
confused_face(1).gif

Anyone knows?
confused_face(1).gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #43 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by guguplex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone knows if it is necessary to turn off both modules when you go to bed? or in fact doing so we are shorting the DPS and UDA useful life ??
confused_face(1).gif

Anyone knows?
confused_face(1).gif

It's prolly technically better to turn off the amp first, and then the PS.

Most likely damage during power down is one (either the positive or negative) power supply shuts down before the other. Because the amps are DC coupled, when one rail shuts down before the other it's possible to get some fairly big DC offsets at the output that might push DC through the headphones and damage them.

If you power down the headphone amp first, its smaller capacity power filtration sections deplete faster than if you were to turn off the power from the desktop power supply.

Me? I just turn off the power supplies. But I'm supposed to stress test stuff.

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #44 of 54
OK Tyll ..... so you mean:
"Do what I say and not what I do ...... "
jecklinsmile.gif

But... the other side of the question is:

I should leave the DPS and the Ultra Desktop always ON or ... we must turn them off when we go to bed... what you think ..... or ... better...what you do?
jecklinsmile.gif

Wait for your ilumination....
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #45 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by guguplex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait for your ilumination....
bigsmile_face.gif

ImaPoser.gif

Humble opinion is about all you're going to get from this one of what everybody's got:

Don't leave them on, it's a waste of juice.

They sound fine from the moment you turn them on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back