Balanced Desktop - Power Supply
Aug 9, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #16 of 54
I've just bought the DPS for my desktop balanced amp. When i switch it on i can hear a slight hum coming from it, is that normal?

My last amp was a gilmore lite with Dps and it was totally silent, which is making me think there might be a problem with it.

Aug 9, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisnalee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just bought the DPS for my desktop balanced amp. When i switch it on i can hear a slight hum coming from it, is that normal?

My last amp was a gilmore lite with Dps and it was totally silent, which is making me think there might be a problem with it.

Did you try setting the ground lift to "float"?

Aug 9, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #18 of 54
my DPS was ordered in the same order as lisnalees, and he sent it onto me, if anything i would have thought i would have had a 'hum', as my old electrics here produce an AC hum through my logitech subwoofer.

but in testing, putting my ear really near the dps, with all other electrical noise closed down from other sources, i can confirm it is deadly silent, i think lisnalee may be talking about a hum coming from the DPS externally, not whilst using headphones?!? - otherise, as you said, the float option would be of help as lisnalee is well aware of.

lets hope its able to be sorted and interesting to hear what HR have to say.

lisnalee, can you confirm if its external hum?, ie. you can hear a hum without headphones on, emanating from the DPS - or is it the introduction of the DPS into the balanced amp that is making hum through the headphones?

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #19 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my DPS was ordered in the same order as lisnalees, and he sent it onto me, if anything i would have thought i would have had a 'hum', as my old electrics here produce an AC hum through my logitech subwoofer.

but in testing, putting my ear really near the dps, with all other electrical noise closed down from other sources, i can confirm it is deadly silent, i think lisnalee may be talking about a hum coming from the DPS externally, not whilst using headphones?!? - otherise, as you said, the float option would be of help as lisnalee is well aware of.

lets hope its able to be sorted and interesting to hear what HR have to say.

lisnalee, can you confirm if its external hum?, ie. you can hear a hum without headphones on, emanating from the DPS - or is it the introduction of the DPS into the balanced amp that is making hum through the headphones?

Thanks Quaddy for your input
beerchug.gif

I probably should have explained the problem in better detail, i was just up and hadn't had the morning wake up coffee, but yes the hum is coming from the unit itself.

I cant hear it while listening with headphones which i guess is a good thing. I did try the float option which made no difference but from what i gather from the manual it would only help it if i was hearing though the headphones.

But i'd just feel better if someone else's sounded the same.

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

Thanks Quaddy for your input
beerchug.gif

I probably should have explained the problem in better detail, i was just up and hadn't had the morning wake up coffee, but yes the hum is coming from the unit itself.

I cant hear it while listening with headphones which i guess is a good thing. I did try the float option which made no difference but from what i gather from the manual it would only help it if i was hearing though the headphones.

But i'd just feel better if someone else's sounded the same.

Got it now, I misunderstood the first time, sorry. I do not recall hearing any noise at all coming from my DPS.

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got it now, I misunderstood the first time, sorry. I do not recall hearing any noise at all coming from my DPS.

I think i'll email HR on Monday to see what they reckon, just to be on the safe side.

The humming is'nt that loud, but if no one else is doing it then perhaps there's a fault with mine.

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #22 of 54
Quote:

I think i'll email HR on Monday to see what they reckon, just to be on the safe side.

The humming is'nt that loud, but if no one else is doing it then perhaps there's a fault with mine.

definitely, i would be doing the same! i just feel a bit guilty that mine is seemingly ok, and you unbeknownst to you, were keeping the 'hummer' and sending me the clear one.
redface.gif

at least its not your amp that maybe would have to go back!
eek.gif

if your dps needs to go back and you have sold your astrodyne by then, you can borrow my astrodyne to tide you over, just let me know.

man i need a different surface space now with all this big old desktop rig
popcorn.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
definitely, i would be doing the same! i just feel a bit guilty that mine is seemingly ok, and you unbeknownst to you, were keeping the 'hummer' and sending me the clear one.
redface.gif

at least its not your amp that maybe would have to go back!
eek.gif

if your dps needs to go back and you have sold your astrodyne by then, you can borrow my astrodyne to tide you over, just let me know.

man i need a different surface space now with all this big old desktop rig
popcorn.gif

Thanks Buddy
wink_face.gif

It's at times like this, with the generosity of others that make me really appreciate being a part of Head-Fi.

Aug 10, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #25 of 54
It might just be straight off transformer hum. Not a groundloop or anything quasi complicated.

Aug 12, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #26 of 54
Quote:

I think i'll email HR on Monday to see what they reckon, just to be on the safe side.The humming is'nt that loud, but if no one else is doing it then perhaps there's a fault with mine.

Howdy Lisnalee,

Hopefully, Service Manager MikeO. (BigWurm) in HeadRoom repair has given you the low-down on our next move... Rest assured if anything's wrong, we'll promptly get that DPS back to perfect silent operation asap!
k701smile.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Howdy Lisnalee,

Hopefully, Service Manager MikeO. (BigWurm) in HeadRoom repair has given you the low-down on our next move... Rest assured if anything's wrong, we'll promptly get that DPS back to perfect silent operation asap!
k701smile.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Hi Jorge.

Yeah, ive been speaking to Mike and he has offered to take a look at it if I send it over.

Thanks for the great customer service.

Damian

Aug 16, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #28 of 54
Hey I had a question about using the Desktop Power Supply for the Micro Amp and DAC. I read in a review that Headroom dose not recommend placing the micros on top of the Power Supply. Is this true and if so why?

Aug 16, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #29 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by kboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey I had a question about using the Desktop Power Supply for the Micro Amp and DAC. I read in a review that Headroom dose not recommend placing the micros on top of the Power Supply. Is this true and if so why?

Hello Kboe,

Hmmm, not sure why that would be -- other than maybe the Micros are smaller-sized units & may perhaps slide off the larger rounded DPS chassis if not secured (?) ... Certainly, there's no heat build-up, vibration, or other issues since the DPS is designed to have our 'fully-loaded' Desktop Amp or Balanced Desktop stacked above it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #30 of 54
I also have the DPS with the HRB amp and dac with Steffan Audio cables and a HD650. I feed it from a macbook pro via the optical out... sonic bliss!
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back