Balanced Desktop - Power Supply
Jun 16, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #2 of 54
I recently upgraded my Balanced Desktop with the DPS and I'm very happy with it, to say the least. The difference is great, (more than the Stefan Art Equinox I've bought also). Deep solid bass, smooth detailed mids and highs and the sound has more attack, and is sooo quick. Now I understand the meaning of "liquid sound".
If you're thinking to upgrade and have the money for it, don't hesitate, buy it! You won't be disappointed.

Jun 16, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerrycan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently upgraded my Balanced Desktop with the DPS and I'm very happy with it, to say the least. The difference is great, (more than the Stefan Art Equinox I've bought also). Deep solid bass, smooth detailed mids and highs and the sound has more attack, and is sooo quick. Now I understand the meaning of "liquid sound".
If you're thinking to upgrade and have the money for it, don't hesitate, buy it! You won't be disappointed.

What 'phones do you use, Jerrycan? Just curious.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 54
you know, really is it worth the 400$? I really wish they came out with something alittle cheaper, something maybe with smaller footprint, less connnections, etc etc.

Ive been thinking about that, or just upgrading to the balanced...

I like the HR millett and all, however i feel it lacks power sometimes for my 650s.

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #9 of 54
My expectations of the soundquality upgrade were low (perhaps to avoid disappointment). But now I think the DPS brings out the best in the Desktop Balanced. It's really, really worth every penny.
I don't know if it works the same for the Millett, but you can always "upgrade" to de Desktop Balanced. You then already have a great psu
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 54
Is the generally thought that the DPS is overkill for the micro (2007-home) DAC and amp? And has anyone figured out what else could be plugged into the six power outlets of the DPS- Tyll had suggested some more things coming down the pike a few months back...

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 54
i'm thinking this makes sense, as the power supply is the point at which you become unbalanced even if every component of each channel is entirely separate. as it all ties together at the line cord. [battery would avoid this] so this being the case the power supply could have a large affect on the overall sound i am guessing. seems batteries would be the way to go to keep the cost down and really maintain seperation of everything. or you could setup two seperate generators, then the earth ground would be the only common point.
depends on how far you want to carry the balanced part.
wink.gif

anyway i would think the power supply is super important in a balanced setup. IMHO

Jul 13, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by velingara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the generally thought that the DPS is overkill for the micro (2007-home) DAC and amp? And has anyone figured out what else could be plugged into the six power outlets of the DPS- Tyll had suggested some more things coming down the pike a few months back...

I wouldn't think so. I'm gonna look into getting one for my Ultra Amp and DAC before the year is out. unless HeadRoom comes out with a power supply specific for the Micro's like the Desktop's DPS.

so did I miss anything Tyll may have mentioned coming out in the months to come?

Jul 13, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #15 of 54
In my experience, the DPS makes a noticeable improvement in SQ for the Desktop Balanced. The 6 outs are overkill, but also comforting for future expansion. Just a very solid product that delivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back