Bakoon japan launch 1st portable headphone amplifier HDA 5520
May 7, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #16 of 85

Just received Bakoon amp.   This thing is big, definitely more transportable than portable.    1st impression very positive, very powerful amp.    Wish it came with an owner's manual to explain how the current and voltage output works.    Driving my LCD-XC very well and probably the best "portable" amp pairing for the audeze.    When i switch to Fostex TH900, WOW,   The amount of details and fantastic soundstage, i just cannot believe came from this "portable" amp.     Plugging and switching between current and voltage output gives different sound signature.     Voltage output sounds like fuller balanced mode, while current output is full of details and has a wider soundstage.    Highly addictive sounding amp with TH900.   Thanks to Rudi for helping me to discover this wonderful amp.     

Nice! Could you do some comparisons with the epsilon s using iem's if you have time? Thanks :)

May 7, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #18 of 85
Me too

I heard the desktop version , SQ more to Warm and less bright and detail
I like The SQ from Wagnus so Far , could Be Power is smaller than Bakoon With 12 X AA batteries
biggrin.gif

Yes the TWELVE batteries is insane! (end up spending more money on batteries than audio products
ph34r.gif
 )

I don't need more power than what wagnus can provide because I only use IEM hahaha
I hope wagnus wins in sq for iems because if the bakoon is better, then it will be a hassle to sell the wagnus & contact pricejapan etc etc
biggrin.gif

( Plus: that bakoon amp is basically the size of a small desktop amp! Already get so many stares when I use the wagnus outside of my house hahahah )

May 7, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #19 of 85
Yes the TWELVE batteries is insane! (end up spending more money on batteries than audio products :ph34r:  )

I don't need more power than what wagnus can provide because I only use IEM hahaha
I hope wagnus wins in sq for iems because if the bakoon is better, then it will be a hassle to sell the wagnus & contact pricejapan etc etc :D

( Plus: that bakoon amp is basically the size of a small desktop amp! Already get so many stares when I use the wagnus outside of my house hahahah )

My local dealer can have End of June 2014 , it is too long to wait
The desktop Bakoon has more hiss than Wagnus Epsilon S
Onky Evolutionx can give impression

May 7, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #20 of 85
Hi Rudi/Chen,  I think Bakoon amp is too powerful for iem,   The usable range is very small as it gets too loud easily.   Especially on Voltage output, slight channel imbalance as i cannot even pass 9 0 clock on the volume knob.    On current output, sound quality is good but Wagnus S is still better.    Details are gone on bakoon amp due to its too powerful output.    For iem (i use Roxanne Universal and FAD Heaven 6), it is still Wagnus S as the best portable amp in my opinion.    And of course the form factor, i think Bakoon amp is more a desktop replacement than really portable.     However, compare with Wagnus to drive TH900, Bakoon is more powerful and has different output level (current/voltage) and a current gain switch.      I am sure Bakoon can drive many difficult to drive headphones more efficiently than Wagnus.    I feel Wagnus S driving TH900 is already very good as TH900 is not a difficult headphone to drive and to me is more enjoyable.    For LCD XC, Bakoon dosed a better job as I think Audeze need a more powerful amp to drive and benefit from the extra power.     As portable amp, I think Wagnus is still the most versatile and best sounding for iem and less demanding headphones.     The main reason I buy Bakoon is to drive my LCD XC and i think i am happy with the result.     And i am definitely keeping Wagnus S as it is still my best portable amp.   

May 7, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #22 of 85
  Hi Rudi/Chen,  I think Bakoon amp is too powerful for iem,   The usable range is very small as it gets too loud easily.   Especially on Voltage output, slight channel imbalance as i cannot even pass 9 0 clock on the volume knob.    On current output, sound quality is good but Wagnus S is still better.    Details are gone on bakoon amp due to its too powerful output.    For iem (i use Roxanne Universal and FAD Heaven 6), it is still Wagnus S as the best portable amp in my opinion.    And of course the form factor, i think Bakoon amp is more a desktop replacement than really portable.     However, compare with Wagnus to drive TH900, Bakoon is more powerful and has different output level (current/voltage) and a current gain switch.      I am sure Bakoon can drive many difficult to drive headphones more efficiently than Wagnus.    I feel Wagnus S driving TH900 is already very good as TH900 is not a difficult headphone to drive and to me is more enjoyable.    For LCD XC, Bakoon dosed a better job as I think Audeze need a more powerful amp to drive and benefit from the extra power.     As portable amp, I think Wagnus is still the most versatile and best sounding for iem and less demanding headphones.     The main reason I buy Bakoon is to drive my LCD XC and i think i am happy with the result.     And i am definitely keeping Wagnus S as it is still my best portable amp.   

My wallet thanks you! hahaha
beerchug.gif

Now all my funds can be put towards saving for the Chord Hugo
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #27 of 85
Personally I'd wait until July since Bialbero Quattro V might be available in quite a few months

http://www.head-fi.org/t/649717/portable-headphone-amplifier-wagnus-bialbero-epsilon-s-impression-and-appreciation-thread/195

http://wagnus.exblog.jp/21460112

But isn't that a tube amp though? Doubt it would be to replace rather than complement the epsilon s?

May 7, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #30 of 85
For sure but i think Rudi might get his HUGO back before I get the wagnus shipped to me.

honestly i haven't used HUGO for a week, it sounds great but i am more on "so it should as its 2.4 K".

i still feel some stack setup out there can produce a respectable sound at much cheaper price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back