Bakoon HPA-21 headphone amplifier
Sep 9, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #526 of 643

Maybe I'll inquire, though quality product aside, I wasn't happy with the communication last time.

Just be patient.

Oh one more thing--may be a shocker-the costs:

Level 1: tuning and new ear-pads ~$250
Level 2: new wooden ear-cups ~$500
Level 3: new cable ~$500

Either with the Denon LA7000 or the LA-900, you will be playing some wonderful music!

And unlike with the LCD or HE, the Bakoon bass will be great!

I know the prices, remember I had my Denon LA'ed.I won't go into detail regarding the communication issues, hopefully things have improved since 2011.

Sep 9, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #527 of 643
  I would be willing to bet the AMP-12R would have more authority with bass.

I'm very happy with the HPA-21 as I never thought anything would replace the Leben. More slam would be nice though. Maybe we'll get an MK2 model!

Maybe you should audition an LCD-X!  :)  It has pretty nice bass slam. 

When I tried them with the HPA21 and Chord Hugo, it was mighty impressive (for that brief audition). 

Sep 11, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #528 of 643

Maybe you should audition an LCD-X!  :)  It has pretty nice bass slam. 

When I tried them with the HPA21 and Chord Hugo, it was mighty impressive (for that brief audition). 

Yes, I will have to try it if I ever move beyond the LCD-3. Still gobsmacked at how good this setup is.

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #529 of 643
  You can always try augmenting your HPA-21 with bass heavy downstream system components.  The audio-gd Master 7 DAC (PCM1704 R2R) and the TH900 headfones are both supposed to be loaded with ample bass authority.  Altho I don't presently use the HPA-21 in that setup, I am very satisfied with the bottom presence and control in my music using those two components.

I think I've gotten accustomed to the bass now.

I will say it's taken me several weeks to gain insight into the Bakoon's magic. It's not something I would pick up instantly during a quick demo.

Like all good components, it gets better with time.

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #530 of 643
As I mentioned before, my favorite headphones in my setup with the Bakoon amp presently is the HD 800s, which aren't bass heavy at all.  Of course music selection and preference has a lot to do with it.

I personally think that the HPA-21 has a rather longish burn-in period.  If you go back and read my posts early on in this thread, you'll find that I talk about a second magical 'bonus level' that progressively gets accessed with decreasing delays after amp turn on.  I think that it might well apply to bass presence as well as mids body/texture.  The tribulations of being first owner... 
wink.gif

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #531 of 643
The liquid transparent midrange is quite beguiling . . and it's easy to listen to the amp while surfing the web or composing an email since it lacks the noise/distortion that gets in the way of the musical flow.

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #533 of 643
I personally think that the HPA-21 has a rather longish burn-in period.  If you go back and read my posts early on in this thread, you'll find that I talk about a second magical 'bonus level' that progressively gets accessed with decreasing delays after amp turn on.  I think that it might well apply to bass presence as well as mids body/texture.  The tribulations of being first owner... 
wink.gif

Yes, I recognize the magical level now when the amp is warmed up and running at peak . . it keeps the music flowing just when you think it's time to turn in for the night.

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #535 of 643
Can anyone compare the HDA-5210MK3 and the HPA-21? I have heard the HPA-21 and tempting to buy the HDA-5210MK3 with UL board upgrade (standard version). How's these 2 amps drive TH900? As I heard people said that the Bakoon are the best amp for TH900 in this price range. (Currently my only headphone is the Th900...) :)

My apology if someone has done this before, but I can really hard to find informations like this. Thx~

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #536 of 643
Can anyone compare the HDA-5210MK3 and the HPA-21? I have heard the HPA-21 and tempting to buy the HDA-5210MK3 with UL board upgrade (standard version). How's these 2 amps drive TH900? (Currently my only headphone is the Th900...)
smily_headphones1.gif

My apology if someone has done this before, but I can really hard to find informations like this. Thx~

I'm sure a lot of people will have bought both Bakoon amps  
wink_face.gif

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #538 of 643
HPA-21 works just fine with the TH900.  Haven't heard the HDA-5210Mk3, but I would think that it would be a suitable alternative to the HPA-21, for those who suffer from battery anxiety, altho I suspect that some design difficulties/sensitivity of a sufficiently clean power supply to the Satri current driven amplification circuitry was circumvented by configuring the amp with a battery.

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #539 of 643
For example, maybe you in the future? Hahaha

As I heard that you have bought the 5210MK3, how do you feel so far with your TH900?
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I'll wait for your comparison first.  
biggrin.gif

No, seriously, after a lot of digging I chose for two amp: the Japanese Bakoon and GS-X.
I'm expecting the GS-X end of the year and after comparing both for a few months I will then decide which of them to keep for the phones I like (closed dynamics) and use the money for buying a Zana again so I have a top SS and tube amp.

As I mentioned in the TH-900 and JP Bakoon threads I had no time yet to do some serious listing, just enjoying some music when still working at home late at night.
It's a really powerful amp without distorting, has a nice warmth and brings the mids forward, something I feel is needed on the TH-900.
From what I could gather from PM-ing with a fellow HF-er it seems the Japanese version has more bass slam. But that's only talk, I have no way to back that up.
The Satri boards in my amp are not the standard ones the Korean version uses, so there will be more of a difference than you would have with the standard JP version that uses the same boards as the Korean version I can imagine.

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #540 of 643
Haven't seen many people that have been able to A/B the HDA-5210Mk3 and the HPA-21. There's even a thread for this topic (http://www.head-fi.org/t/649056/high-end-bakoon-headphone-amp-japan-version-discussion-thread-and-impression-thread/105) but I don't see any direct comparisons. 

Much harder to find the Japanese market 5210, hence why Bakoon International (Korea) made the versions like the 21 that are made for the global market and allow for things like different voltages (believe the 5210 has to be hard wired for specific voltage/cycles). Anyone have any experience with this? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back