Bakoon HPA-21 headphone amplifier
Sep 4, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #498 of 643
I personally found the HPA-21 a tad too reserved with the pre-fazor LCD-3. I think it's mainly to do with how the amp in Current mode drives headphones based on their impdance curves. With orthos having almost ruler flat impedance curves to start with, you get a clean, smooth and neutral kind of amplification from the Bakoon. Great if you want that kind of sound, but I preferred the more energetic way it drove standard dynamic driver cans, particularly the TH-900 in low-gain Current mode.

Admittedly, I didn't give the Voltage mode much of a go during my short time with the HPA-21. Maybe I would've preferred it's signature with orthos in that mode. Or maybe the various DACs I employed in the chain just failed to give the HPA-21/LCD-3 combo that special extra

I have yet to spend any real quality time with the LCD-3, but after receiving my LCD-XC, I found it a superior matchup with the HPA-21 compared to my TH900.It's probably an individual thing.

Sep 4, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #500 of 643
  I have yet to spend any real quality time with the LCD-3, but after receiving my LCD-XC, I found it a superior matchup with the HPA-21 compared to my TH900.It's probably an individual thing.

I do not understand well if understand if you prefer the LCD3 or the LCD-XC with the HPA-21 ? 

Re the TH900, I agree with you: I also tried the TH900 with the HPA-21 (AK100 > HUGO > HPA-21 > TH900 ) , and was not that impressed compared to TH900 directly connected to my HUGO.

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #501 of 643

I do not understand well if understand if you prefer the LCD3 or the LCD-XC with the HPA-21 ? 

Re the TH900, I agree with you: I also tried the TH900 with the HPA-21 (AK100 > HUGO > HPA-21 > TH900 ) , and was not that impressed compared to TH900 directly connected to my HUGO.

I like the TH900 with the HPA-21, I just prefer the LCD-XC , they are very different presentations and with certain music I would go with the TH900.It is hard to love all our children equally 
wink_face.gif

I did not have an open back in my collection, and since I have fallen in love with the Audeze sound, it became a decision between the X and 3.
I would be glad to give my impressions of the 3 and HPA-21 pairing after they arrive, and a reasonable period of listening.

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #502 of 643
  I like the TH900 with the HPA-21, I just prefer the LCD-XC , they are very different presentations and with certain music I would go with the TH900.It is hard to love all our children equally 
wink_face.gif

I did not have an open back in my collection, and since I have fallen in love with the Audeze sound, it became a decision between the X and 3.
I would be glad to give my impressions of the 3 and HPA-21 pairing after they arrive, and a reasonable period of listening.

thanks for your answer.  Since you have booth the TH900 and the XC, and since I try to find the best Audiophile "non-leaking" headphone, could you tell me if the XC leak more than the th-900 or not ?

Indeed, with the TH900, often I need to go in another room because my wife can hear what I am listening and this disturb her while she try to read a book. 
rolleyes.gif

thanks for your advice

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #504 of 643
  The XC leak very little, especially compared to the TH900

you mean that XC leak LESS than the TH900 ? this is a very good news 
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #506 of 643
  vert - How would you describe the "soft" element you are experiencing? Does it affect any specific frequency range? 

In my experience the Bakoon sound is different in being able to hear every detail and contour of the sounds. What once sounded like a standard bass with not a lot of texture now has the full "space" and tone around the instrument, almost like you could identify the brand if you knew bass guitars really well. One reviewer said that if you focus on any specific instrument or voice you'll hear more than you ever thought you could, and that when you pull back and let the whole sound envelop you that you get the full picture, in a way that is different from what you are used to as all the detailed pieces fit together. I think that's a good description. 

I find the sound to be a bit polite with my LCD-3. I would like more energy/slam. I will try to get more of that by swapping out the power cord on the source.

But I agree with your thoughtful write up. It's easy to pick out any layer of the music and following along with the Bakoon, or pull back and listen to the music as a whole.

Sep 4, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #507 of 643

I find the sound to be a bit polite with my LCD-3. I would like more energy/slam. I will try to get more of that by swapping out the power cord on the source.

But I agree with your thoughtful write up. It's easy to pick out any layer of the music and following along with the Bakoon, or pull back and listen to the music as a whole.

vert - Have you tried varying the type of music you are listening to and/or the quality of the recordings? I listen to a wide variety of types of music (from alternative to Gregorian chants to German metal to chamber music to Pop to Techno to Broadway to who knows what the heck else) and mostly listen to HD quality recordings (HDTracks has received a lot of my money!) as well as FLAC (level 0) recordings of my CDs (MusicShifter is great!) and find an affinity to well recorded music. Let us know if you get a difference experience/response to different styles/formats.

Sep 5, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #508 of 643

Try swapping out the CD, instead.  Something like Paul Rose's Double Life should do the trick nicely. 
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #509 of 643
  vert - Have you tried varying the type of music you are listening to and/or the quality of the recordings? I listen to a wide variety of types of music (from alternative to Gregorian chants to German metal to chamber music to Pop to Techno to Broadway to who knows what the heck else) and mostly listen to HD quality recordings (HDTracks has received a lot of my money!) as well as FLAC (level 0) recordings of my CDs (MusicShifter is great!) and find an affinity to well recorded music. Let us know if you get a difference experience/response to different styles/formats.

mscott - I listen to mostly electronic dance music through CDs. 

The sound on the Bakoon is so pure that I haven't been able to go back to my old reference amp. So if you can get some more slam I would be very happy.

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #510 of 643

Good observation!

The Bakoon has less impact in the bass than the GS-X Mk2, EAR HP-4 or Woo WA5.  Power cord and different CD do not change this relative difference. 

I think the Bakoon HPA-21 needs a bigger power supply or battery or something.  Perhaps they should talk to Tesla... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back