Bakoon HPA-21 headphone amplifier
Sep 7, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #511 of 643
  Good observation!

The Bakoon has less impact in the bass than the GS-X Mk2, EAR HP-4 or Woo WA5.  Power cord and different CD do not change this relative difference. 

I think the Bakoon HPA-21 needs a bigger power supply or battery or something.  Perhaps they should talk to Tesla... 

It would be interesting to hear the Bakoon AMP-12R to see if it's better in the department.

Sep 7, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #512 of 643
I can't remember where I read it, but one review claimed that, with the Fostex TH-900, the Japanese Bakoon speaker amp - which the AMP-11R (AMP-12R's predecessor) is supposedly based on - exhibited more "bottom-up" (in quotes because I'm not sure what that exactly means .... more bass-heavy, perhaps?) tonality compared to the Bakoon HDA5210 which the HPA-21 is based on.

I've only ever tried the AMP-12R with the Senn HD800, and only for a short while at a showroom. The HD800 sounded good and definitely had more low-end than I usually experienced (ie; it didn't sound like the friggin tweeter it usually is), but that was in isolation in a far from ideal setting, so I can't make any concrete conclusions. Not even sure if the speaker amp's headphone output impedance is low enough for sensitive headphones from Fostex, Denon, Grado, et all.

The one thing I took from the experience was the heat. The top half of the AMP-12R gets quite warm. Probably a good desktop/bedside heater for wintery months. Not so good if you live in the tropics like I do and have it placed close to you.

Sep 8, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #513 of 643
  I can't remember where I read it, but one review claimed that, with the Fostex TH-900, the Japanese Bakoon speaker amp - which the AMP-11R (AMP-12R's predecessor) is supposedly based on - exhibited more "bottom-up" (in quotes because I'm not sure what that exactly means .... more bass-heavy, perhaps?) tonality compared to the Bakoon HDA5210 which the HPA-21 is based on.

I would be willing to bet the AMP-12R would have more authority with bass.

I'm very happy with the HPA-21 as I never thought anything would replace the Leben. More slam would be nice though. Maybe we'll get an MK2 model!

Sep 9, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #514 of 643
You can always try augmenting your HPA-21 with bass heavy downstream system components.  The audio-gd Master 7 DAC (PCM1704 R2R) and the TH900 headfones are both supposed to be loaded with ample bass authority.  Altho I don't presently use the HPA-21 in that setup, I am very satisfied with the bottom presence and control in my music using those two components.

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #515 of 643

I'm very happy with the HPA-21 as I never thought anything would replace the Leben. More slam would be nice though. Maybe we'll get an MK2 model!

The Bakoon truly excels with the PS1000 and TH-900 in terms of bass impact.

With the HD800, LCD3, and HE-6, there is plenty of bass there but not the last word in impact that you can get from the very best amps. This was a real surprise to me for a SS design; perhaps a bigger power supply is needed. Tesla is building a new battery plant for their cars in Las Vegas. Perhaps Bakoon should have a talk with them :))

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #518 of 643

The Bakoon truly excels with the PS1000 and TH-900 in terms of bass impact.

With the HD800, LCD3, and HE-6, there is plenty of bass there but not the last word in impact that you can get from the very best amps. This was a real surprise to me for a SS design; perhaps a bigger power supply is needed. Tesla is building a new battery plant for their cars in Las Vegas. Perhaps Bakoon should have a talk with them :))

Match the HPA-21 with the (Lawton modified) Denon AH-D7000,and you have a basshead's wet dream.I have been listening to that match exclusively the last week, and it's something to behold.

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #519 of 643
Match the HPA-21 with the (Lawton modified) Denon AH-D7000,and you have a basshead's wet dream.I have been listening to that match exclusively the last week, and it's something to behold.

The (stock) TH-900 sound fairly similar to the Lawton -modified Denon D7000--I coincidentally happened to listen to them last night on the Bakoon HPA-21 for the purpose of comparing them to the Lawton-Modified TH-900.

Yes, I agree, the bass from the Bakoon/Denon LA-7000 was quite something.

Sep 9, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #520 of 643

The (stock) TH-900 sound fairly similar to the Lawton -modified Denon D7000--I coincidentally happened to listen to them last night on the Bakoon HPA-21 for the purpose of comparing them to the Lawton-Modified TH-900.

Yes, I agree, the bass from the Bakoon/Denon LA-7000 was quite something.

How do you find the modified TH900? I've been considering a recable, but maybe I should consider the Lawton mod

Sep 9, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #521 of 643
How do you find the modified TH900? I've been considering a recable, but maybe I should consider the Lawton mod

I cannot tell you what each level does as I went full Monty (tuning, new ear pads, new wooden ear cups and new cable).

The end result is a tighter, better-defined and more dynamic bass (less midbass boost), smoother mid-range and treble without any loss of details. The improvement over stock is smaller for the TH-900 than for the Denon D7000, but it is audible.

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #522 of 643

I cannot tell you what each level does as I went full Monty (tuning, new ear pads, new wooden ear cups and new cable).

The end result is a tighter, better-defined and more dynamic bass (less midbass boost), smoother mid-range and treble without any loss of details. The improvement over stock is smaller for the TH-900 than for the Denon D7000, but it is audible.

I also got the "full Monty" on my Denon.Listening this week has me thinking how unappreciated they have been, or maybe they have hit a new level matched with the Bakoon.I love those new cups over at Lawton, but changing from the unique Fostex cups would be difficult.I do like the idea of "smoother mid-range and treble without any loss of details" Maybe I find the level excluding the new cups.

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #523 of 643
I also got the "full Monty" on my Denon.Listening this week has me thinking how unappreciated they have been, or maybe they have hit a new level matched with the Bakoon.I love those new cups over at Lawton, but changing from the unique Fostex cups would be difficult.I do like the idea of "smoother mid-range and treble without any loss of details" Maybe I find the level excluding the new cups.

Level 1: tuning and new ear-pads
Level 2: new wooden ear-cups
Level 3: new cable

Mark may be willing to skip level 2. I don't know. BTW, you do get all the stock parts back.

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #524 of 643

Level 1: tuning and new ear-pads
Level 2: new wooden ear-cups
Level 3: new cable

Mark may be willing to skip level 2. I don't know. BTW, you do get all the stock parts back.

Maybe I'll inquire, though quality product aside, I wasn't happy with the communication last time.

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #525 of 643
Maybe I'll inquire, though quality product aside, I wasn't happy with the communication last time.

Just be patient.

Oh one more thing--may be a shocker-the costs:

Level 1: tuning and new ear-pads ~$250
Level 2: new wooden ear-cups ~$500
Level 3: new cable ~$500

Either with the Denon LA7000 or the LA-900, you will be playing some wonderful music!

And unlike with the LCD or HE, the Bakoon bass will be great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back