Bakoon HPA-21 headphone amplifier
Jan 13, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #271 of 643
  looked hard at this bakoon hpa-1 and the other ones ( alo studio six and dark star ) . the battery and charging kinda put me off buying the bakoon . i know the SQ is nice as per reviews but the hassle of the battery i cant deal wit i guess.

For me the battery is a plus, allowing to use it as a "transportable" solution  ( Connected with a AK100/120, I can bring it outside under the patio for several hours  
biggrin.gif
 )

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #272 of 643
I still haven't gotten round to asking my dealership about the battery replacement procedure. Can we order the replacement batteries and do it ourselves, or can the local dealers do it for you, or do we have to send it all the way back to Bakoon International? How much would it cost? I doubt anyone has actually gone through a battery change yet, since the HPA-21 is still new, but I'd be grateful if anyone with first-hand info could share.

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #273 of 643
I still haven't gotten round to asking my dealership about the battery replacement procedure. Can we order the replacement batteries and do it ourselves, or can the local dealers do it for you, or do we have to send it all the way back to Bakoon International? How much would it cost? I doubt anyone has actually gone through a battery change yet, since the HPA-21 is still new, but I'd be grateful if anyone with first-hand info could share.

i asked the one from audiogon who is the distributor here in the usa , he didnt know either - he said he will ask the rep but they wont be here for a while .

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #274 of 643
  For me the battery is a plus, allowing to use it as a "transportable" solution  ( Connected with a AK100/120, I can bring it outside under the patio for several hours  
biggrin.gif
 )

i dont think ill do that - my source and headphones are big and heavy .  portables are for that .

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #276 of 643

Quoting the 2nd post, answer from Soo In at Bakoon:

Q: One thing bothers me a bit with the HPA-21, the battery. Although I understand the advantages of using a battery I'm still concerned about the longevity/life-time of the battery. A $3000 rendered more or less useless after a couple of years usage isn't very appealing. Also, is it possible to change the battery without too much hassle (i.e. sending it to S. Korea.)?

A: We are using one of the best and most reliable batteries from Samsung SDI, they guarantee 500 recharge cycles for the battery to reach at is 80% lifetime capacity. So after about 3500 hours, its running time will drop to around 5 hours, but is still usable. (also consider that one can use more than 3 years with 3 hours/day usage)

The two battery packs inside the HPA-21 are easily replaceable and will cost approx. EUR 125 + VAT and labour to replace – if ever needed.

I think the two batteries are fixed to the circuit board with some form of adhesive, double-sided tape maybe. That, connecting the two cables and disassemble/assemble the box should be the only thing you need to do to change the batteries.

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #277 of 643
Even if it is a review of Questyle Q192, somehow I think this dude likes HPA-21...
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/products/questyle-co-ltd-q192-dac-with-headphone-amplifier-silver/reviews/10352

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #278 of 643
A German test of the Heads Beyond set from Klutz Design (LCD-3 + Klutz CanCans stand + HPA-21 + special travel case): http://www.hifitest.de/test/kopfhoerer_hifi/audeze_lcd-3-audeze_bakoon_hpa-21_8984.php

Translated by Google: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=sv&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hifitest.de%2Ftest%2Fkopfhoerer_hifi%2Faudeze_lcd-3-audeze_bakoon_hpa-21_8984.php

The important stuff (translated):
Sound
The first impression one gets when listening to music through the combination, is the astonishing calm. It is however by no means a sleepy peace, but rather the rest of intense concentration. It is precisely this concentration LCD-3 and HPA-21 are devoted to seemingly even the smallest music signal. It's really fascinating how seem to explode virtually on an absolutely "black" background every little sound and every sound, while remaining always precisely defined and contoured. This has a quality that you should have listened. Tonal, the Kombi is extremely balanced and neutral. Any showmanship it has not even necessary, because the two devices seem to transfer the tension inherent in the music totally lossless. A real exception wagon, on the other Kopfhörer/Kopfhörerverstärker- combinations will have to be measured.

Conclusion
Highest tonal neutrality, maximum dynamic and finest resolution result in a sound that the breakdown in individual criteria withdraws. What counts here is only that what it really is and only music.

And still LCD-X is more neutral than LCD-3!

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #279 of 643
  Even if it is a review of Questyle Q192, somehow I think this dude likes HPA-21...
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/products/questyle-co-ltd-q192-dac-with-headphone-amplifier-silver/reviews/10352

I have to agree with him on the HPA-21. It completely changed the way my HD800's sound. They now have more base and the irritating sibilance is gone from all but my worst quality recordings. I really
love them now. But, I must add that I also love my LCD-3's with the HPA-21. They bring more base to
the show with a certain lusciousness and warmth that the HD800 cannot match.

I am quite smitten with this little amp! I can't wait to see how the SATRI DAC, when available, pairs up
with the HPA-21. For now I have a W4S DSDse DAC that is very, very good.

I know there are those that say this amp is overpriced at 3000.00. But, there a many dedicated HP amps out there that are close to this price and way over it. So, until you actually have a chance to listen to it,
you should not be so critical. It's a very special amplifier!

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #280 of 643
  I have to agree with him on the HPA-21. It completely changed the way my HD800's sound. They now have more base and the irritating sibilance is gone from all but my worst quality recordings. I really
love them now. But, I must add that I also love my LCD-3's with the HPA-21. They bring more base to
the show with a certain lusciousness and warmth that the HD800 cannot match.

I am quite smitten with this little amp! I can't wait to see how the SATRI DAC, when available, pairs up
with the HPA-21. For now I have a W4S DSDse DAC that is very, very good.

I know there are those that say this amp is overpriced at 3000.00. But, there a many dedicated HP amps out there that are close to this price and way over it. So, until you actually have a chance to listen to it,
you should not be so critical. It's a very special amplifier!

Agree, it seems very special, and I believe that I will soon get one for my TH-900 and "to come " AlphaDog.   I  also appreciate a lot the internal battery that makes it transportable around the house.

I Just regret that it does not have a balanced output since I has my TH-900 re-wired balanced ! 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #281 of 643
:  
And still LCD-X is more neutral than LCD-3!

Sorry, I tried the LCD-X with my HPA-21. And yes, I would say it is more neutral than the LCD-3, but it will never be able to replace my LCD-3. For me the LCD-3 sound is what I look for
when in the mood for that warm, luscious, tube like, sound from my music. If I want neutral, I just reach for my HD800's. Paired with the HPA-21, the LDC-X sounded a bit veiled with
a smaller sound stage in comparison. And it lacks the previously mentioned warmth of the LCD-3.

I suppose if you could only have one set of Headphones, the LCD-X would be a good compromise with the HPA-21. But for me, now that I have both the HD800 and my newly purchased LCD-3,
a compromise I'm glad don't have to live with. As the proverbial "Cat" is now out of the bag!

But everyone's ears are different, so they might not "see it", or should I say, "hear it" the same way!

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #282 of 643
Another world premiere at the High End Show in Stockholm this weekend: Bakoon HPA-01, little brother/sister to HPA-21. Here you can see a picture of the unfinished product: https://www.facebook.com/bpintl?sk=wall&filter=3

Klutz Design will also show the new Auralic Gemini 2000 at the show, and also HPA-21 of course, in room Ferlin at Lundqvist & Lindqvist.

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #284 of 643
  Interesting with a new Bakoon product (and another reason to go to the show). Have you got any info on the new amp? Battery powered? Price?

and even more anticiped (by me).... the  next BAKOON DAC, battery operated, to be paired (same size)  with the HPA-21 !  Any news about it ???

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #285 of 643
Im on my way to Stockholm right npw atm :) Gonna visit the Klutz design booth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back