bah this is annoying
Apr 27, 2006 at 7:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

coolshot

500+ Head-Fier
i've had my 2 main cans for about 2 months now and im enjoying them greatly. However im finding that i like one (900ltd) for Hip Hop and the other (ad2000) for rock. These are my two main genres that i listen to, but i like doing a mixed playlist. I find myself even switching in the middle of track to something else. The more and more i listen to each respective can, the more i wanna listen to it is preferencial music. Heres a typical scenario, i start a track with one can, listen to it. It either ends and something next is completely different or ill change it I.E Metallica to Black Eye Peas. Then the next track has to restarted again because i missed some of it changing cans.

is their a solution to being so finiky, besides selling off a can or only having a set genre playlist? I like have the flexibilty of having a closed can for small club type impact/imtimacy for hip hop beats and airy ampetheatre for rock legends. Is there a can out there that i can reproduce both signatures? i heard larry can make covers or something on his cans for open/closed listening.

Apr 28, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 19
Do I foresee a set of woodies coming your way?
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #8 of 19
As the others on this thread have said, you're in for trouble! I'd say you've become a true Head-Fi'er.

Apr 28, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #10 of 19
hmm i've tried em briefly at a meet. IMO they are the best looking cans, love the white/grey but i dont know where i would fit them. Basically what would the 701 replace? the ad2000 or ltd? I highly doubt that the 701 and can be the end all can that does everything. If the L3000 or W5000 can do hiphop,R&B,rock and techno in that order ill be set.

Apr 28, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot
Basically what would the 701 replace? the ad2000 or ltd? I highly doubt that the 701 and can be the end all can that does everything.

I think that is the point we are all trying to make. There is no end all be all phone. The K701 would not replace either. It would just give you one more alternative. That is, until you add a 4th set of cans, then a 5th.

Apr 28, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #12 of 19
lol thats what im not trying to do. originally i had the ltds for gaming, and ad2000s for music. Then during my bass/impact thread a few weeks back i rediscovered my ltds for hip hop. Theres too much swapping as it is. Adding a 4th can( 3rd is sportapros for portable) would just too much of hassle. My original idea is too move up to a single high end can 1k range to replace them all and maybe keep a second one for smaller niche stuff. One thing i dont wanna do for sure is get 6-7 cans in the $300-500 range. Im not a collector and if im not using it everyday then i feel like im wasting them and should sell to someone who will use them more.

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
to be corrupted at such a young age...what a shame. :p

how about the k701? many seem to be enjoying them for different genres of music.

I do personally, but by his description of his reasoning for wanting closed cans, I don't think they'll be bassy enough. He seems to have basshead "mood swings" that these cans could not fulfill. They'd probably just end up being another AD2000 for him.

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #14 of 19
I will have a noob question which might be missing the whole point in this thread, but here it is.

What about changing EQ settings at the source, can you compensate the differences that you are observing - it might be easier than changing headphones?

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot
how much do l3000s go for these days? i was thinking about a w5000 but i hear the l3000 has more bass.

Unfortunately they seem to have gone up a lot in the past few months
frown.gif

When I bought mine last year going rate was $1400-1500 used and $1500-1700 new (imported). Now I've seen people trying to sell used for $2000-2200, but I'd like to think that a really nice deal might pop up once in a long while.

Depending on the fit you get with the W5000, the L3000 will have anywhere from significantly more to way more bass
biggrin.gif
It's too much for some, but I find the bass exceptionally well behaved and extending deeper than anything else out there - and I've got the Grado HP2 for a reference on tight bass. To me the L3000 reproduces the power of live music better than anything else I've heard short of Tom Hankins's amazing speaker rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back