Bad Source + Good Phones or Good Source + Bad Phones?
Oct 17, 2010 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

macrocheesium

Headphoneus Supremus
This might seem like a weird question, but I want to get the best sound as soon as possible, and I don't have the money to buy everything at once. Right now I'm using a Zune HD with Nuforce NE-6 earphones, and I plan on upgrading to the Cowon J3 with Panasonic HJE900's as I get the money for them. I'll sell my Zune to help pay for the Cowon, so the price for either would be about the same (~$90).

So I guess my main question is, "which would sound better, the ZHD with the HJE900's, or the J3 with the NE-6"? Thanks.

Oct 17, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the fast response. You're sure?

Oct 17, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 7
i think that earphones will play a bigger role in sound than the player. these days all players sound pretty decent, but headphones can vary quite a bit.

Oct 17, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 7
The Zune is not a bad source.

And you'll never get good sound from bad headphones, no matter what you put behind them. I have some junky Sonys that I use with new amps - so I don't accidentally fry a good pair.

Those cheap Sonys still sound like cheap Sonys, even when run off a Zana Deux with some especially good SACD recordings.

On the other hand, even the HD-800 is decently listenable plugged into the iPod.

Buy the headphones you want, they're more important than anything else.

Oct 17, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
The Zune is not a bad source.

And you'll never get good sound from bad headphones, no matter what you put behind them. I have some junky Sonys that I use with new amps - so I don't accidentally fry a good pair.

Those cheap Sonys still sound like cheap Sonys, even when run off a Zana Deux with some especially good SACD recordings.

On the other hand, even the HD-800 is decently listenable plugged into the iPod.

Buy the headphones you want, they're more important than anything else.

well said. my point exactly.

Oct 18, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #7 of 7
Since everybody here has said pretty much the same thing, I'll be getting the headphones first. I've heard people say that their Cowon is way better than their HD in terms of sound quality, but it now looks more like good vs. better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back