bad k701?
Jan 18, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #46 of 58
It's possible. I got mine for Christmas and my serial is #10543.

Jan 18, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #49 of 58
The only serial cooler than that is 1234. Either that or Lucky Charms...mmm cereal.

Jan 18, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #50 of 58
Just browsing threads and this one caught my eye, I dont own these cans (yet) but isnt the headband 'unclippable' from the band, it sure looks like it could be swapped around by the pictures..ignore my ignorance if not
blink.gif

Jan 18, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #51 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This has been mentioned before. I think we concluded that AKG changed the way the "support" was made. It's nothing to worry about. Blent, what S/N is yours? Mine were one of the earlier ones (#1981).

My serial # is 9524 and I got them right after Xmas, new from a dealer on ebay.

Jan 18, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #53 of 58
It turns out i really am unbelievably lucky. Acording to AKG they came to the conclusion that someone reversed the headband for that particular headphone. They offered to exchange it for me but i think im going to keep it. i aslo asked them to notify me if they start having other people contact them with similar unique (oxymoron there) headphones. wow this is luckiest ill ever be short of winning the lottery haha. ok here's the response from AKG.

Quote:

Dear Mike,
first of all thank you for contacting AKG.
We discussed your problem here and came up to the following solution:
We think that you have a "unique" AKG K 701 where the factory inverted the
headband - The cable cannot be mounted on the wrong side, that means left should
be left and right should be right ( electrical)
Anyway if you wish to have it exchanged AKG Northridge can handle that under
warrenty.

Best regards

Jan 19, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #55 of 58
That's great. You must be glad...cow.
redface.gif

I probably would have taken the exchange, myself though, just to be on the safe side. I mean, what if it's just that the guys at AKG (and this is what it sounds like anyway) were just reaching for an answer, and just went with the most obvious one ? It's likely that they are real, but I'd still feel more comfy with ones that are all together correct.

In any case, I'd love to hear some impressions from you, even if they are right off the bat. I'm not a real big believer in "burn in" anyway.

Jan 19, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #56 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Spot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's great. You must be glad...cow.
redface.gif

I probably would have taken the exchange, myself though, just to be on the safe side. I mean, what if it's just that the guys at AKG (and this is what it sounds like anyway) were just reaching for an answer, and just went with the most obvious one ? It's likely that they are real, but I'd still feel more comfy with ones that are all together correct.

In any case, I'd love to hear some impressions from you, even if they are right off the bat. I'm not a real big believer in "burn in" anyway.

I cant seem to stay decided on what to do. I keep thinking about it from the perspective of someone who would try and reproduce a headphone like this. first off like hydrocity pointed out it wouldnt be worth the money to figure out how to reproduce a product such as this. plus if they went through all that time money and effort, and were smart enough to include everything including the akg warranty information slip then why would they be as dumb as to get the headband on wrong and why would they use a serial number as obvious as 12345. its all asking to be investigated into. also if you take into account the fact that no one else has had problems its hard to believe this would be the first. Now all that concluding to it being genuine is its "uniqness" worth holding onto? so what if its one of a kind, its one out of 12345.

Ok on the other topic of burn-in its hard to say. when i initially plugged them in they sounded good but not great. of course i've never listened to hiigh end headphones before plus i was skeptical of their legitimacy so i stopped listening for a while. i started playing some pink noise through them while i contacted akg and asked for help here. Then about 8 hours later i decided to watch the 20th anniversary dream theater dvd and thats when it hit me. of course by now im kinda wishing and hoping they are real but they really sounded amazing this time. i never understood what it was like to hear the seperation of the instruments. from the distance between simultaneous guitar/keyboard solos, or the difference between symbol clashes, it all came at me from a different direction. This is when i started to doubt that a ripoff could amaze me so much. i left it playing pink noise overnight and i cant really tell if there is much of a difference. Really all i had time to listen to today was some amon amarth, gojira, and razed in black. Razed in black has kind of an industrial techno sound so that might be to blame but overall the lower registers seemed to sound more prominent today than yesterday. if you guys are interested ill keep my opinions updated as i listen to them a bit more.

Jul 24, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #57 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would imagine it costs much more to actually manufacture a counterfeit than a real one... by a wide margin...

You could be right about this, but this is irrelevant in regards to the ambitions of the counterfeiter. As long as the costs of fake production is less than the market price there's profits to be made and hence, a reason to make them.

Jul 24, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #58 of 58
AKG just doing this to get some free publicity in Head-Fi from time to time
evil_smiley.gif

On the other hand, the K701 so called "hand assembly and testing" is somewhat poor.
Got mine with one of the pads rotated in 180 degree.
(SN 10253 BTW)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back