Back Home: USA first impressions
Jul 8, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #31 of 67
Every friend i know who went to the states comes back and tell me the food there is REALLY CHEAP compare to the UK. They say things like for $4 you can have breakfast, which is like £2, and that is cheap. And the portions are much better value for money, so order for 1 can serve 2 people...etc

If you want expensive, come to the UK. paying $10 for lunch is normal.

Jul 8, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #32 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin
Every friend i know who went to the states comes back and tell me the food there is REALLY CHEAP compare to the UK. They say things like for $4 you can have breakfast, which is like £2, and that is cheap. And the portions are much better value for money, so order for 1 can serve 2 people...etc

If you want expensive, come to the UK. paying $10 for lunch is normal.

Heheh, but most Americans eat twice as much.
tongue.gif

So many farms here.

-Ed

Jul 8, 2004 at 11:35 PM Post #33 of 67
the pizza i had in italy was poor compared to what i can get in seattle.

now the prosciutto was a different story... dry and salty the way it is supposed to be, with a bit of bread, cheese and wine... yum..

Jul 8, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #34 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
The telephone system splintered in more pieces than a glass unicorn.

I'm completely confused by this statement.

The last time I was abroad the biggest culture shocks were faces on the street and TV ((Ireland-99.9% white like me & 4 channels). And the reason I was most glad to get home? The faces (multi-colors) & TV (multi-channels)...I love diversity.
icon10.gif

Jul 9, 2004 at 7:17 AM Post #36 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
the pizza i had in italy was poor compared to what i can get in seattle.

now the prosciutto was a different story... dry and salty the way it is supposed to be, with a bit of bread, cheese and wine... yum..

Actually, the worst pizza I ever tasted was in Italy, at a roadside vendor. Tasted like an old dishcloth! Yuck!! That said, he may have seen me coming and served me a dishcloth...
eggosmile.gif

Jul 9, 2004 at 7:38 AM Post #37 of 67
I seem to have struck a nerve with the pizza comment. Let me state that the only pizza I managed to get on a regular basis in Bangkok was Pizza Hut. Enuff said, I hope.

Yep, Onix, I'm back here to live for awhile and raise my son in the fresh air. And yes, servinginequidor, I'm having serious reverse culture shock. Remember I'm going from Los Angeles (young and beautiful) to Bangkok (thin and beautiful) to Bethlehem, PA (fat and white). Of course, the first place my mother took me to was K-Mart. "Achy Breaky" heart was playing on the sound system, there were pissed-off looking guys in mustaches, Oakley sunglasses and wife beater t-shirts walking around and 50-year old women too fat to walk riding around in little motorized carts. It was kinda like walking into a David Lynch movie - scared the hell out me.

I'm not trashing the US and PA -- it's home afterall, but I'm seeing it through much-travelled eyes at this point and.... well, like Thomas Wolfe says, you can't go home again.

My mother gets a year with her new grandson and then I think I'm going back to Cali.

Jul 9, 2004 at 8:25 AM Post #38 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
I'm not trashing the US and PA -- it's home afterall, but I'm seeing it through much-travelled eyes at this point and.... well, like Thomas Wolfe says, you can't go home again.

Actually, and I am talking from experience, home is always where that little guy of yours is waiting for you.
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2004 at 3:38 PM Post #41 of 67
Welcom home Chadbang. Pennsylvania is great. Lived in Chalfont for three years. Really enjoyed my time there but was glad to come back home. Funny thing about your comment on the fattening of America. Notice than 99% of the posts to your thread deal with food. For my part I still miss the Hoagies.

Jul 9, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #43 of 67
seems to have become a Pennsylvania and pizza thread . So let me just add that i only go to PA for two reasons

1-my annual 30 guy camping canoe trip and drinking bash on the delaware river (fifth year and three days this time up from two ! YEEEESSSSSS! Should be ugly but fun)

2-Pocono Racetrack for NASCAAR

and i only eat brick oven pizza

Jul 9, 2004 at 5:24 PM Post #44 of 67
Brad,

Nice to hear that you are back in the States. Do you have a high speed internet at home? If not, get one. You will love it. I'm not quite sure whether "The Nations" has any high speed connection.

I'll get to visit BKK at the end of this year. Can't wait.

Jul 12, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #45 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
Home is in your pants?
biggrin.gif

Oh God! Now I don't really know what to say except that it's open to interpretation
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back