Back Home: USA first impressions
Jul 8, 2004 at 10:38 AM Post #16 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Ah yes, a decent pizza. It wouldn't be hard at all to beat a Finnish pizza. Brocoli and calliflower beats a Finnish pizza.

But there's a price for all that good food. Finnish food may be horrible, but it's not The Land of the Thin People(tm) for nothing.
biggrin.gif

Maybe I should move there. I can't do my gym routine at home, and I can gain weigth just by smelling food. Maybe a couple of months in Finland will keep me thin, albeit I am not very fond of broccoli.

Jul 8, 2004 at 11:28 AM Post #17 of 67
Quote:

Ah yes, a decent pizza. It wouldn't be hard at all to beat a Finnish pizza. Brocoli and calliflower beats a Finnish pizza.

But there's a price for all that good food. Finnish food may be horrible, but it's not The Land of the Thin People(tm) for nothing.
biggrin.gif

It alsop helps that you gotta be in constant motion to avoid getting eaten alive by all thoes damn mosquitos!

Jul 8, 2004 at 2:49 PM Post #19 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
oh, god, my first slice of REAL pizza in five years - heavenly!

I'm also seeing A LOT of fat people (now I see what the "obesity crisis" is really about. Of course I'm fat, too, but I thought I was unique - obviously not). I know Asians are naturally thinner, but, man, the US has really seemed to plump out.

Ahh, yes, pizza! A large traditional garbage pizza! One of my favorite diet foods. Right up there with ribs . . .
tongue.gif

Jul 8, 2004 at 3:27 PM Post #21 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
New York, my friend, simply does not know how to do Pizza. Giordanno's in Chicago, on the other hand...

HEAR HEAR!!! For me it's only Giordanno's or Lou Manalti's. God I miss Chicago pizza.

Jul 8, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #22 of 67
Quote:

Hmmm. Didn't get to try Finnish pizza during my few days in Turku and Helsinki, but I'll betcha it beats a Norwegian burrito. (On the train ride from Bergen to Oslo, I wandered into the restaurant car and found that all they had left for hot food was a "chicken wrap". I was about halfway through it before I figured out that this was somehow intended to be Mexican food.
eek.gif
)

Jul 8, 2004 at 6:06 PM Post #28 of 67
Quote:

biggrin.gif

LOL! In Finland I stick to Pizza Hut....
icon10.gif
I can still feel the revolt of the first burger I ever ate in Finland....gahhhh!!! Heck, now I've got to go brush my darn teeth...
eggosmile.gif

Jul 8, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #29 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nisbeth
The only culinary specialty that Norway is renowned for is their outrageous prices on food
rolleyes.gif

Hey, let's not forget lutefisk and rakørret (mmm...fermented trout!). Rakørret doesn't seem terribly well-known outside Norway, though, probably because it's tough to get it out of the country -- I've been told it's illegal to carry tinned rakørret in your airline baggage. The tins have a bad habit of exploding unexpectedly due to changes in cabin pressure.
eek.gif

(Although I was very amused, when planning our Scandinavian vacation, to find a guidebook which claimed that the national dish of Norway was frozen pizza.)

Jul 8, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #30 of 67
welcome to Pennsylvania
smily_headphones1.gif
. I myself just spent two and a half weeks out in the homecountry (Poland). Coming back here has been a shock. It was nice to have lunch as a family of four for 6 or 7 dollars. Food is the states is insanely expensive. And getting used to driving in the US is a fun time. What I'm only going 70? Has to be at least a 100
wink.gif
. And I must say, even though the roads in Poland were must worse than those in the US, my first day driving back here was scary as anything. Drivers here simply suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back