Back Home: USA first impressions
Jul 8, 2004 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
Egads, I'm in shock! I haven't been in the US for over five years. Now I've moved from Bangkok to Bethlehem (Pennsylvania) and what a strange trip it's been. First impressions: Great wide spaces and streets. Clean air and water. Food I like (oh, god, my first slice of REAL pizza in five years - heavenly!). VERY friendly people. The telephone system splintered in more pieces than a glass unicorn. AND EVERTHING IS EXPENSIVE!. I almost hit the floor when I mistakenly grabbed a Coke at a gas station and they rang it up at 70 cents! What the hell happened there? I'm also seeing A LOT of fat people (now I see what the "obesity crisis" is really about. Of course I'm fat, too, but I thought I was unique - obviously not). I know Asians are naturally thinner, but, man, the US has really seemed to plump out. All in all, though, it basically feels good to be back home, although I sort of feel like Robert DeNiro in the "Deer Hunter", very weirded out.
confused.gif

At least head-fi looks about the same.
biggrin.gif
(but the colours look much nicer on my new eMac -- my first American purchase).

Jul 8, 2004 at 7:07 AM Post #3 of 67
Welcome back Chadbang. Keep aware that the reverse culture shock can and will set in, but you'll get thru it. Life here is nothing like Bangkok, but you'll adjust to it. The clean air, drinkable water, and other such amenities really aid in readjusting. (That and places like WalMart, Home Depot, and other places with options you're not used to having.)

Welcome home Chadbang.

Jul 8, 2004 at 7:10 AM Post #4 of 67
Welcome back! I have family in that area (Wind Gap and Bath, PA) and it's really beautiful. Go grab yourself a big cheesesteak, that'll set you straight!
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2004 at 7:22 AM Post #5 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
the reverse culture shock

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Useful term to remember.

Jul 8, 2004 at 7:24 AM Post #6 of 67
Only 70 cents? I think NYC starts at $2 for the same can of pop. Last time I was there they were going for $1 to $1.25 on the street, unless you were at Rockefeller Plaza.

Bethlehem is nice but you really should drive over into the mountains. I do miss Leighigh University, though. I would KILL for Lancaster County Dutch Noodles (with real meatballs), Split Pea Soup with Ham, Goya products, certain hot sauces, Lancaster county pies, NYC PineApple Upside Down Cake, a Henny Youngman or Woody Allen from a certain deli on 54th st. in NYC... Man I miss Spanish food. and Irish food. and German food. And Brazilian food. and Thai food. and Greek food. and Italian food (Preschutto and provole hero from Queens). and Polish food. ...

But at least I found a Chicago style Greek food place in Phoenix. The rice and bread alone is worth it. But I would KILL for some Puerto Rican foods, like white yams, yucca, fried cod fish, white rice and raw unions, Goya olive oil. Real Spanish coffee.

Little Havana just doesn't do a good paella. There is this restaurant on 7th ave & 36th or 37th street in NYC....

Just wait until August when the humidity is 98% and it's 100 degrees...

Jul 8, 2004 at 7:26 AM Post #7 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permonic
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Useful term to remember.

Yeah, after finally learning to do things like drive in some other country of the world it takes a while, and oftentime a few tickets, to remember where you're at, and how the law looks at things.
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Jul 8, 2004 at 7:28 AM Post #8 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
... my first slice of REAL pizza in five years - heavenly! ...

Welcome back home Brad. I hope you get over the effects Doug mentioned. I have been in Mexico for four years now, and I still get symptoms. Anyway, I don't want to blow up you bubble, but the real pizza would have to be eaten in Italy. Albeit, I have to say that the best one I ever had I got it in Paris. Anyway, what are you doing in Pennsylvania? Are you gonna stay for long? How's the wife taking it?

Jul 8, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #9 of 67
You got a great deal on the Coke...it sells for $1 here in SoCal.
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2004 at 8:09 AM Post #10 of 67
Quote:

oh, god, my first slice of REAL pizza in five years - heavenly!

unless you stopped off in NY (maybe the flight in) you still have not had a slice of real pizza !

welcome back man

Jul 8, 2004 at 9:11 AM Post #11 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
unless you stopped off in NY (maybe the flight in) you still have not had a slice of real pizza !

welcome back man

New York, my friend, simply does not know how to do Pizza. Giordanno's in Chicago, on the other hand...

Jul 8, 2004 at 9:52 AM Post #13 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
WHERE exactly in Paris?

Near Garde du Nord. The place is called Maison du Pere, IIRC. I stayed at the Grand Hotel Magenta on the street of the same name and the manager told me about the place. The owner is from Italy and he mixes French and Italian know-how. I'll check with my wife to see if she keeps a callng card from the place. Are you in Paris?

Jul 8, 2004 at 9:55 AM Post #14 of 67
Ah yes, a decent pizza. It wouldn't be hard at all to beat a Finnish pizza. Brocoli and calliflower beats a Finnish pizza.

But there's a price for all that good food. Finnish food may be horrible, but it's not The Land of the Thin People(tm) for nothing.
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2004 at 10:08 AM Post #15 of 67
Welcome back to Pennsylvania, I'm a fellow Pittsburgher and I've been through Bethlehem a few times for my cross country meets
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back