Baby STAX SR-001 MK2 Impressions Thread
Sep 23, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #76 of 113
I might... but only to close friends... just so I can borrow them anytime
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #77 of 113
Jan 4, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #79 of 113
Just got mine today, a mint SR-001 with the portable adapter and I must say with musicality it would definitely give my ES5 customs a run for it's money if I still those around. The sound resembles that of my Lambda Pro's in many areas alas bit more warmth to the treble range but damn they are fairly comfortable (at least for me), really thinking of putting my IE8's on for sale.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #83 of 113
Quote:
I didn't know you can replace the cables. Links on how to do it?

Slowly pull the plastic cable mould from the speakers, slowly. You need to make sure the in-ear speakers are not in the headband housing, make sure it's removed. Also I've read that it's not good to remove it all the time as it weakens the inner retention contacts.

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #84 of 113
Hello, Just purchased a used Stax SR-001 MK2. I am using it with an ipod classic. Sound volume seems to require that the ipod volume be set close to maximum. Is that normal? Thanks for any input. - Kevin

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #85 of 113
  There was a hum/noise on the left driver of my babies so I opened it up. Then opened the right driver and copied the order of the layers:

Here's the config:

After putting it back, the noise is softer but its still there... does anyone know how to totally remove it? Or the contacts just need cleaning?
TIA

You will have to clean everything - THOROUGHLY. The noise is coming from some sort od contact - either made mechanicaly(paricle of dust, hair, other unmentionables ) - or some electrical shorting. Please note that electrostatics see as "short" extremely high impedances - which may well be unmeasurable using a simple multimeter instrument. Good lighting, stereo microscope (or at least a good loupe ) - and you should see if there is anything bridging the gap, incluiding at the very edge where diaphragm is clamped. You can use carbon fibre brush for cleaning anyalog vinyl records to "sweep" the diaphragm on both sides, then check for any remains under microscope.

If that does not remedy the situation, the driver has somewhere deteriorated and official service/replacement is the only option.

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #87 of 113
What is the gear you use for your Stax Sr-001?

I am currently using mine with the Fiio X3 (sometimes with my cd player). And I never use it with my iPod Classic: the SQ is poor to say the least...

And what about you?

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #89 of 113
just curious.... what about if I'm using normal 1.2v rechargable battery. Will it decrease the sq compare to alkaline 1.5v? and for the stock, how lon does the 1.2v 2000ma recargable battery will last?

NiZn improves the sound a lot.

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #90 of 113

NiZn improves the sound a lot.

Although I have not tried NiZn batteries yet, even NiMH - or better still, NiCd - is an improvement over alkalines. The reason is internal resistance of the batteries; the lower, the better. Nicd > NiMH >>> alkaline. I have to check NiZn for the internal resistance, but IIRC it is good - and is 1.5 V, like alkaline and unlike NiCd and NiMH, which are 1.2 V. The only problem is relatively limited availability, necessity to use appropriate charger, both leading to higher cost.

But in view of baby Stax - totally worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back