Baby on the way...advice from Head-Fi dads?
May 23, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #31 of 63
Just a little tip from my sis (whose husband is much like me ... and the rest of you): Leave the gadgets (including video camera) off during birth. Not just the baby pop, but the whole process. Makes for a far happier wife.

May 23, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #32 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a little tip from my sis (whose husband is much like me ... and the rest of you): Leave the gadgets (including video camera) off during birth. Not just the baby pop, but the whole process. Makes for a far happier wife.

Until she returns home from the hospital and wishes she could watch the video
wink.gif

In Finland, videotaping isn't permitted in delivery rooms. Those midwives are so very uptight about such things.

May 23, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #33 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Until she returns home from the hospital and wishes she could watch the video
wink.gif

In Finland, videotaping isn't permitted in delivery rooms. Those midwives are so very uptight about such things.

Bingo! Even when my wife was undergoing emergency c-section, doped up...all she could muster between boughts of vomitting: "I can't see anything! Make sure you are filming this!"

I didn't film the actual c-section but I did have the camera ready and waiting when my son was safely in my wife's arms for a minute or two before she went in for surgery.

With my daughter, we agreed, no video cameras in there, but once the baby was born, I had better have the dslr clicking as rapidly as possible. I filled up a 2 Gig card in about 20 minutes. I did what she told me too! Of course now we have 200 pictures of nearly the same shot
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #34 of 63
Jussei: Do at least ask your wife in advance.

May 23, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #35 of 63
Quote:

Jussei: Do at least ask your wife in advance.

Definitely!

May 23, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #36 of 63
Quote:

Definitely. Limit the video to the conception.

May 23, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #37 of 63
This is going to be my first post in what... maybe 2 years? I stopped by to voyeur how things were going over here and also in consideration of offloading some long unused and neglected gear. Wasn't intending to post much but your post caught my attention.

In two years absence I believe I've swapped jobs, got new hobbies, got into good shape (MMA/kickboxing), had a great vacation in forbidden lands with a best bud, to finding a girl, getting married, taking care of my 6 month gorgeous baby girl, and well on my way towards losing shape, etc. But enough about me.

I can say right now if you are talking audiophile grade 2 channel systems in every room after having a baby, your head is far in the clouds. And by audiophile grade I mean the ones where you still have to use your hands to control most of the stuff. If your system doesn't include an integrated wireless remote that can control your *entire* music collection in all rooms in a few seconds, then forget about it. If your 2 channel systems do not include any of those features then it better include a nanny, or you might add angry wife as a new feature to your systems as well. I would wait til after you have some time under your belt as a father before you start on any 'baby' plans of this sort, expect your life to change. But don't worry its a good thing.

I know I am over-generalizing but many an audiophile tends to be protective of their gear especially if it was a good investment of their time and research. This is going to change, you will be protective of your daughter before anything else.

Also I didn't know much about taking care of a baby either, but I'm happy to do all the diaper changing, feeding, bathing, whatever. As was mentioned a lot of the *work* will be in your relationship with your wife, because your relationship with your baby daughter will be perfect (for now at least!), there is little that you can do wrong in her eyes, and there is nothing you'd want to do wrong, etc.

But the silver lining as far as headphones is concerned is...I've been listening to my headphones far more then I have in the last couple of years because living situation has forced me to move my listening to the workplace (but I know not everyone can be so lucky).

Also keep in mind as an audiophile you sacrifice far less than a videophile ever would. Babies should not be looking at TV's, etc for their development...but they absolutely LOVE TO (which is unfortunate if you absolutely love to as well)!

Anyhow I'm going to be ditching my Ety 4P's soon...they haven't seen the light of day in ages and won't be with the way things are for me now.

So my advice is hold off on your 2 channel plan unless it involves an integrated remote and big compromises towards ease of use (which typically means having a digital jukebox on auto play when it comes down to it). Cause if you find yourself holding off on a diaper change because you are carefully adjusting the phono stylus on a vinyl rig...then you are lame.
tongue.gif

May 24, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #38 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool... Yeah, I bought a jvc mini-DV cassette based cam corder when my son was born and we used it all the time. That one eventually died after a year so I bought another JVC, that one did after 3 weeks (no kidding!!). I returned it back and am currently using a Panasonic. Its smaller, decently good vid quality, and best of all it was only $300. Stock up on cassettes and just shoot away!!

Heres some of my commentary on baby-items we have bought or received as gifts...

Diaper Genie- My cousin offered to give us his old one. It seemed a little cumbersome and overly complicated to re-load the proprietary ($$$) bags. Lots of moving parts... no thanks We passed on it.

Diaper Champ- NICE!!! Similar concept as a Diaper Genie but MUCH simpler. It uses ordinary kitchen garbage bags (cheap), and the thing is sealed tight so the funky smells don't get out. We used this thing a LOT at night. During the day though, its simple enough to go out to the trash-can outside. You have to wash it every week though.

Exercize Saucer- Pretty good investment. Keeps the kid occupied, entertained and really develops his hand/eye/foot...body coordination. Takes up a LOT of space though.

Bumpkins bibs-
THE holy Grail of baby-bibs!!! SERIOUSLY... if you retain only ONE thing from this entire thread... remember BUMPKINS bibs. They are as perfect a bib as we have found. light, waterproof, machine washable, EXTREMELY durable. Blot them dry with a towel and hang them in the sun and they dry completely in about 15-30 minutes. We have some bibs that are 3+ years old and still going strong. They make full-length upper body suits too for those really messy kids. They work great when the kids start teething too, they really keep the collar and neck area dry from drool.

Baby bijorn- Another WONDERFUL baby product. My son didn't like it much, but thats because hes squirmy and hyper. My daughter on the other hand would eat, sleep, burp in that thing. We'd do EVERYTHING together in that little sling. They are expensive new, but they usually go for around $20 used on ebay. We bought two (new & used), one for my parents and one for us. In hindsight used would have been smarter.

Jogging stroller-
Nice, but not a must have. I'm NOT an avid runner, however I still found it useful taking them on day hikes on the dirt trails. The bicycle tires and hand brakes make for a pleasant journey.

Scented lotions and soaps-
watch out!!! They are a magnet for honey bees and yellow jackets, especially for baby girls who are dressed in bright colors. We used Aquafor brand lotions. They are non-alergenic, my daughter has sensitive skin... and unscented to keep the bees away.

Toilet paper roll-
More of a safety thing. If you have small "stuff" around the house watch out!! the baby will eat it. We use a toilet paper roll as a measuring tool. If the object is small enough to fit in a TP roll, then its TOO small to be left around the house. Put it away or at least out of reach of the kid.

Diaper changing table-
Nice addition to any nursery. It places the kid at a more optimal height for you to stand comfortably doing diaper duties. Sure a bed will suffice, but if you're tall your lower back will eventually suffer. We still use it on my 3 YO who wears over night diapers to sleep.

Flashlights, flashlights, flashlights!!!-
keep one in every room. EDC one in your pocket at all times. They wake up so frequently in the middle of the night, and you don't want to wake up your already exhausted wife with the room light. I used 2AA mini-maglight with a 3-LED night-ize drop in module. GREAT run time, its a comfortable 9 Lumens and bright enough to see by, without waking up the whole house. Theres a 2AAA River Rock brand light sold at Target for $9 that would also be a great choice.

Wristwatch, one with GOOD night-time visibility, and water resistance. Casio G-shocks are my favs. They are sweat, water, piss, drool, puke, milk and shock proof... thats all you need. I found the count-down timer, stop watch and multiple alarm features very useful. Kids and babies LOVE routine and schedule. Keep them on a RIGID feeding / sleeping schedule and they are happy and pleasant. An accurate timepiece with some good night-time illumination will go a long way. I also have a Citizen Aqualand that has some nice glow in the dark accents.

Robbees (sp?)- These are little leather shoe-like slipper things that you can slip on their feet to help keep their socks clean when you're out and about. Stylish, comfortable, easy to slip on... perfect!! Beats the heck out of trying to tie those tiny little shoe laces while they are squirming all over the place.

Mustela- Branded butt cream. Its a white pasty stuff that really kills diaper rash better than anything we have tried.

Hmm,,, thats all I can think of...

Thanks for the through suggestion list. One thing my wife had been looking in to was this sort of hammock thing. It supposedly mimics someone holding the child and helps them sleep through the night more soundly. Do you know anything about this?

May 24, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #39 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This got to be one of the best threads I have read here at headfi in a great while. My wife is in week 38 now so our (first) baby might come any day now. Exciting to say the least!

Thanks for all the well-written advice about care and thoughts on how your life changes after you have children in it. It sure makes me even more eager to meet this new person!

Congrats to you as well! I'll have to keep your screenname handy as I'm up at 3am feeding, changing diapers, or whatever else since there I know that there will probably be someone right there with me doing the same!
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #40 of 63
Quote:

Actually, this is extremely thoughtful advice and is something I hadn't considered. We haven't talked about this at all and I'll have to discuss it with her tomorrow. My guess is that she'd be someone who wouldn't want to be filmed during, but I'll find out. I'm fine with it either way, but as a few have said, I'll be firing off the DSLR like a machine gun afterwards. What's great about the A700 is that it can hold two cards at once (a CF and a MS duo) so I've got 8gb at the moment that will be at my disposal.

May 24, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #41 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is going to be my first post in what... maybe 2 years? I stopped by to voyeur how things were going over here and also in consideration of offloading some long unused and neglected gear. Wasn't intending to post much but your post caught my attention.

In two years absence I believe I've swapped jobs, got new hobbies, got into good shape (MMA/kickboxing), had a great vacation in forbidden lands with a best bud, to finding a girl, getting married, taking care of my 6 month gorgeous baby girl, and well on my way towards losing shape, etc. But enough about me.

I can say right now if you are talking audiophile grade 2 channel systems in every room after having a baby, your head is far in the clouds. And by audiophile grade I mean the ones where you still have to use your hands to control most of the stuff. If your system doesn't include an integrated wireless remote that can control your *entire* music collection in all rooms in a few seconds, then forget about it. If your 2 channel systems do not include any of those features then it better include a nanny, or you might add angry wife as a new feature to your systems as well. I would wait til after you have some time under your belt as a father before you start on any 'baby' plans of this sort, expect your life to change. But don't worry its a good thing.

I know I am over-generalizing but many an audiophile tends to be protective of their gear especially if it was a good investment of their time and research. This is going to change, you will be protective of your daughter before anything else.

Also I didn't know much about taking care of a baby either, but I'm happy to do all the diaper changing, feeding, bathing, whatever. As was mentioned a lot of the *work* will be in your relationship with your wife, because your relationship with your baby daughter will be perfect (for now at least!), there is little that you can do wrong in her eyes, and there is nothing you'd want to do wrong, etc.

But the silver lining as far as headphones is concerned is...I've been listening to my headphones far more then I have in the last couple of years because living situation has forced me to move my listening to the workplace (but I know not everyone can be so lucky).

Also keep in mind as an audiophile you sacrifice far less than a videophile ever would. Babies should not be looking at TV's, etc for their development...but they absolutely LOVE TO (which is unfortunate if you absolutely love to as well)!

Anyhow I'm going to be ditching my Ety 4P's soon...they haven't seen the light of day in ages and won't be with the way things are for me now.

So my advice is hold off on your 2 channel plan unless it involves an integrated remote and big compromises towards ease of use (which typically means having a digital jukebox on auto play when it comes down to it). Cause if you find yourself holding off on a diaper change because you are carefully adjusting the phono stylus on a vinyl rig...then you are lame.
tongue.gif

Understand that I'm not talking anything near 'audiophile' as far as the secondary systems are concerned. I'm talking basically a unit that can amplify a pair of speakers and most likely a nomad iPod(s) that will move from system to system.
My intentions with the systems are not to take away from my fatherly duties by being so selfish to adjust the tracking force on a turntable or roll some tubes while my daughter needs fed. I'll need to pick up the slack around the house a lot, if that means doing the dishes, vacuuming the floor and doing the laundry while I have some music playing in the room and my wife is tending to the baby, it'll be much more enjoyable to me. When I need to take on a 'baby task' such as changing or whathaveyou and if music is on, great, if not I'll not make a point to take time away from my daughter to 'fire up the system.' I've never really considered myself an 'audiophile' anyway, just someone who enjoys music so these are systems that I won't obsess over Simply put, these are systems that will allow me to enjoy something that I really love in life (music) while at the same time enjoying something that I will really love in life (my daughter).

May 24, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #42 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats to you as well! I'll have to keep your screenname handy as I'm up at 3am feeding, changing diapers, or whatever else since there I know that there will probably be someone right there with me doing the same!
biggrin.gif

Click his name, and choose "Add to Buddy list".
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #43 of 63
Quote:

Hey Head-Fi dads,

First, I don't mean to offend any Head-Fi moms out there. I just want to try and get info from members that may have been as clueless as I am now at one point in their lives. Moms seem to know what's going on all the time and have it all figured out (at least it sure seemed like my mom did).
Anyway, I've decided I'd probably better get some tips from those in the know since the day is getting closer and closer to a mini-human entering the world with half my genetic information.
What should I expect in my first year? I've always felt that I'm a very selfish person and I'm sure that this is going to need to change drastically. I've got my own little audio sanctuary I escape to for parts of most all days. I'm pretty anti-social and not very helpful around the house. I don't know how to cook, change a diaper, or appease an upset child. Basically I can smash bugs, open jars, and drink any beer that may need to be drank around the house.
Did you keep your sanity for the first year? If so, how? My wife and I will both be working (although she'll only be working 3 days a week for the first year probably).

Being a new dad, who's son just turned 1 this past April 19th, I can tell you as a dad, you've got it EASY. My GF is by far the most admirable person on the planet when it comes to taking care of my son. She's going through me being gone alot since I work out of town, especially now more than ever since I'm on the other side of the country for 6 weeks.

But I seem to have roughly the same feelings as you, generally a selfish person, for whatever reasons. I don't do much around the house, and too have a little sanctuary to escape to. It frustrates my GF, but she's not working, and is a full time mother...BY CHOICE. Seems a little prick-ish to say, but along with being a full time mother, she too has given up some things. Caveat is, now all the burden financially falls on my shoulders, so it is a tradeoff.

My advice is to change as little as possible, within reason of course. You have to understand, although you put the little one ahead of yourself, you can't expect to make that little lady happy, if you yourself aren't. Anybody that says your life is over, and things have to change are people who just are stupid who can't solve simple problems with even simpler solutions. Nothing has to change (again, within reason), only your attitude and outlook has to.

I've learned that the only habits I've changed are that my funds are now allocated to a different purpose. But I still spoil myself, just not in as much excess. I've found myself in my sanctuary more than usual, because I don't have the funds to enjoy doing things as often, but it's good compromise, and **** still gets done while keeping myself happy.

Quote:

I still want to be able to enjoy music while having this little lady around so I've begun setting up audio systems in all rooms so I can listen to Coltrane while changing diapers in the baby's room or rock the baby to sleep with some Mogwai in the living room. The rule was when we decided to get pregnant, complete 2 channel systems in EVERY room. It was a pretty sweet deal.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, back to the original point/question. Do you have any tips or suggestions that could make my life easier this coming October?

As far as soothing an upset baby....it comes naturally. And more often than not, simply due to your increased workload, she will be the person to be handling most of that. not to say you never will, but if your any kind of non-idiot who can simply deduce options, you'll figure it out. It's one of only so many things:

1. Hungry
2. Sleepy (which is usually cured by #1)
3. Teething (which comes later, which can be solved with typical topical products).
4. Dirty diaper
5. Gassy/Colic (which is EASILY fixed/prevented by buying Dr. Brown bottles. Those things are lifesavers, and worth 10 times their weight in gold. And if lactose intolerant, just buy soy milk, or use Nutramigen if still on formula).

If you have the bottles, you've eliminated most of the reason why babies cry. I will tell you my son NEVER cried from being gassy when using those bottles. Straight out of being born, he slept in 4 hour spurts, and ALWAYS slept throughout the night. He now sleeps, no joke, from 9pm to 9am, all night without waking up. Lets see your kid do that, lol.

After the bottles, there's not really much else. If you can deduce that they've been fed and have a clean diaper, it's an obvious choice that it's something obvious. Atleast for me it has been. My GF always gets pissed that whenever I take care of him with her around, that he's never fussy. And he's teething. I think with my head, and she likes to think with her heart...hugs and kisses don't stop a baby who can't tell you what is wrong...again, deductive reasoning.

Quote:

Finally a bit more jovial question, any Head-Fieque names that I could run past my wife for this little girl to be? It's not as though we are big enough doofs to name our daughter what is suggested on an internet headphone forum, but I'd be interested in suggestions.
biggrin.gif

What's funny about names is, nobody ever wants to commit to a non-safe name. When I told my GF I wanted to name my son after a borough in New York (Brooklyn), she thought I was nuts. Then, when he was born and he was named it, EVERYBODY thinks it's a cool name to name somebody, and original. No doubt it's original...and I love his name. And nothing else fits the little guy. With names...just go with something original...and stick to your guns.

As with all advice when it comes to raising kids, results vary...take it with a grain of salt. If you don't listen to ANYTHING I've said...atleast to the advice with the Dr. Brown bottles. Trust me, they suck to wash, and are a bit more expensive, but it's definitely better than months of hearing a crying gassy baby. And use deductive reason to figure out why she's screaming her head off, rather than just rocking her hoping she cries herself to sleep while pulling your hair out afterwards.....
wink.gif

P.S. If you haven't noticed, I'm VERY proud of fatherhood, and even more proud at how painless raising my son has been by thinking things through first.

May 24, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #45 of 63
Quote:

Thanks for the through suggestion list. One thing my wife had been looking in to was this sort of hammock thing. It supposedly mimics someone holding the child and helps them sleep through the night more soundly. Do you know anything about this?

Hmm no, I haven't seen or heard of that. My suggestion would be to get the kid in a crib asap... the sooner the better. Develop their sleep routine early. If you introduce too many variations, it can lead to sleep problems, disorders and the inability to calm/sooth themself to sleep. Neither of my kids were great sleepers... they are now though, but it was a lot of routine and discipline on our part as parents to establish the routine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back