b22 hookup wire
Jan 16, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #17 of 29
You could always go the NOS route, and use cloth-covered copper wire from Ma Bell surplus. NOS tubes, NOS capacitors... why not NOS wire?
smily_headphones1.gif

(There is new-production cloth-covered wire, but it isn't any cheaper than the vintage Western Electric stuff, so...)

I picked some up a while back, and will probably use it in my next project "just because I can"... otherwise, it's Navships' stuff all the way.

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #18 of 29
I like solid core wire because it's easier to bend into shapes and stays put. If you need to solder something underneath it, it won't bend back when you let go.

Also, I'm a huge fan of Teflon wire. If you accidentally touch it with your iron, it doesn't melt. Also, if things go wrong inside (hopefully not) it gives you an extra measure of protection. Teflon is worth the higher price.

And copper is plenty good for me.

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also in addition to the wire above I ordered some of this techflex looking braid.
Good price and much smaller quantities than other places online.
Super fast shipping on both techflex and wire, I ordered one day after work and had both 2 days later.

The 1/2 inch techflex should be enough for 8 16AWG wires right?

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 1/2 inch techflex should be enough for 8 16AWG wires right?

I don't know for sure, but this stuff expands and relaxes like crazy.
This will be the first time I have ever used Techflex. The ½ inch stuff goes from ¼ inch to ¾ inch.
When I first opened it up I was thinking "OH NO, there is NO WAY that will work, it's just too small", but I played around with it and pinched it in two places about four inches apart and pushed together and it expanded like crazy, then returned to it's original size when I let go. Cool stuff. I got some of the Carbon Fiber looking stuff and it looks pretty good.

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #21 of 29
I think I have some techflex but it is good for star quad(not mini star quad) and i use it in my IC cables..
Do you use a heating iron or a special iron for termincating the techflex, or are you using your soldering iron (which you shouldn't really).

I wonder if a candle would work? or a cig lighter?

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

You could get a mini butane torch and use that, or a lighter works just fine, thats what I use.

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

I think I have some techflex but it is good for star quad(not mini star quad) and i use it in my IC cables..
Do you use a heating iron or a special iron for termincating the techflex, or are you using your soldering iron (which you shouldn't really).

A hot knife is the proper tool, but a lighter or candle will work in a pinch. Be careful and don't get the techflex in the flame, you just need it hot enough to melt the very edge.

Jan 17, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A hot knife is the proper tool, but a lighter or candle will work in a pinch. Be careful and don't get the techflex in the flame, you just need it hot enough to melt the very edge.

hot knife, you mean 'burned' one? nice idea, never thought of that, thanks!

Jan 17, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #26 of 29
No, there's actually such a thing as a "hot knife", meant for cutting plastics, foams, nylon cord and rope, and so on. It's like a soldering iron with a knife blade on the end - or a woodburning tool, if you're familiar with that kitschy 1970s hobby.

Personally, with techflex, I find head never does what I want it to, and generally just plan to use heatshrink instead.

Jan 17, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my balanced Beta22
tongue.gif

How's that coming along?
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemo de Monet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always go the NOS route, and use cloth-covered copper wire from Ma Bell surplus. NOS tubes, NOS capacitors... why not NOS wire?
smily_headphones1.gif

(There is new-production cloth-covered wire, but it isn't any cheaper than the vintage Western Electric stuff, so...)

I picked some up a while back, and will probably use it in my next project "just because I can"... otherwise, it's Navships' stuff all the way.

Just in case anyone is interested, or wants something a little "different" to use on their next project, someone pointed out to me - and I've since confirmed - that both the new-production, and NOS Western Electric cloth-covered wire on eBay are actually silver-plated copper. The WE stuff has an internal insulating layer that might actually be teflon, as well; the new stuff has stranded "Celanese", which I guess is probably polyester. The NOS wire is fairly stiff, but the new stuff is as flexible as you could ask.

Either way, if you like silver-plated copper wire, you've got another couple of choices to play with.

(This is the "regular" Western Electric wire, BTW, whose outer sheath is - I think - cotton. There's also some stuff out there which is sheathed in silk, and while I assume the wire is also silver-plated, I don't know for sure, as that stuff's pricey.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back