B&W P5'S or Audio Technica ATH-M50s
May 13, 2011 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

jakal121

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Been snooping around the forum for a while, kind of a noob to the head phone world, so umm pardon my noobyness.

So, I've been needing a good set of headphones and I've listened to the B&W P5's briefly first hand at the Apple store and I was overall impressed.

Later on, I decided to research, I came across this website which reviews in depth a lot of over ear head phones and I'm now swaying towards the ATH-M50s though I haven't heard them in person.

I know the price difference is huge between the two but this forum seems to praise the M50s a lot more than the P5's, am I trying to compare two very different types of head phones?

Overall I'm looking for the best sound quality over the two.

Which in your opinions sound the best or would go for?

Honestly, im kind of swaying towards the m50s right about now....

May 17, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 20
MY opinion is to head for the Beyerdynamic DT1350s
 :)

m50's arent bad if you're looking for geeky circumaurals. They're a benchmark good headphone

p5's are very very well built..  and for portable supraaurals..  they're one of the best looking ones...  their sound however is extremely bitchy..   needs highbitrate..  and particular genres..  they sound crap in 50% of the songs i play..  but when they do hit the spot ..  they hit the spot well...

May 17, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 20
^lol nice description of the P5

sounds like you're describing a women.

:)

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 20

Quote:
so the P5 is not all rounder then?? or maybe the problem is the audio source??

They actually take about 100hours or 3 weeks of frequent use to burn in right. They sound pretty good in all genre's now....

still the rolling off of the high frequency negates a good 'sparkle' that i like..  but this helps prevent listening fatigue...

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 20
To me, the P5's are very good all 'rounders, the M50's treble is much too sparkly, in a bad way.

MacKat

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 20
I loved my P5s and my friend has the M50s. The P5s definitely need burn in but now with the revised pads they sound better.

The m50s had stronger and tighter bass but I loved the mids and treble a lot more on the P5s

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #14 of 20
The fact that B&W would do something that technical to fix their already-super-expensive phones makes me appreciate them even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back