B&W P5 v Monster Beats Studio
Aug 29, 2011 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rapfan1993

New Head-Fier
Hello :)

I've been lurking on threads regarding both these models for a few weeks now and I now have the funds in order to purchase one of these two headphones.

A bit about me, I am 18 years of age and will be going to university in a month. Therefore I will be travelling a lot and thus listening to my headphones a lot of the time.

I am stuck on which one to purchase 
confused.gif
 I have research both for months and whenever I am positive on one, I see another review and lean to the other. I know on this forum are the best headphone reviewers on the internet so I was wondering whether I could have your detailed insight on which one would suit me better and of course which one IS better for me.

Like my username says, I am a very large rap fan and the majority of the time I listen to rap music. 

So appreciated with all the help that could be given

Link for both

B&W P5 http://www.amazon.com/Bowers-Wilkins-Over-noise-isolating-headphones/dp/B003IHUHGE
Monster Studio http://www.amazon.com/Beats-Studio-Dr-Dre-Noise-Canceling/dp/B001DD55OE/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1314648162&sr=1-2

Thank you so much :)

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 8
Holy expensive batman. I just got Ultrasone HFi-580s over-nighted from Amazon for 130 bucks. That is a lot of money for headphones.

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
They are both terrible for the price. Prominent distortion in the midrange and treble. Search up and look into the Ultrasone HFI 580 instead. The 580 has more bass impact capacity and is much higher resolution.

x2

ATH-m50's as well for the price

Quote:
Holy expensive batman. I just got Ultrasone HFi-580s over-nighted from Amazon for 130 bucks. That is a lot of money for headphones.

I would run away as fast as you can from this site... 130.00 will start doubling and tripling the more time you spend here, it gets addicting

Aug 29, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 8
Guys Guys. He is asking which pair is gonna suit him better. Why are you guys just shooting him down?? And naming suggestions he might not be interested in??

OP. There is a lot of negativity and snobbery going on around here, ignore that. Generally, that happens alot whenever a thread post has 'Beats' somewhere on the title.

If you can afford them, an 18 y.o. rap lover can't go wrong with the Beats. Not because its a good product (because they are far far from) but because in your situation, they would be 'cool' and a whole lotta fun. And the genre which you enjoy wont bring out the worse of the Beat's shortcomings.

I wouldn't recommend the B&W p5. They aren't suited for you based on the description of yourself and your environment.

Come back again when you're 23, working, and ready to listen to things you've never before.

If you're open to the other suggestions, then by all means, the HFI-580 or ATH M-50 are good choices for a cheaper price. But you wont get the 'street cred' like you will with Beats :D

Aug 29, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 8
Not to mention street cred doesn't exist. I'll bet very few people actually notice or care much about what others are doing, we tend to be very self-focused creatures. Plus, if you like to be seen as a trend follower, great, I hear girls really like followers (please note sarcasm). I would say if some of the appeal is looking good then I would suggest being different and standing out will provide you with more mileage than being part of a herd.

I heard some beats, they sounded okay based on my short time with them, but I'm sure you can find better sounding headphones for the same and less money. Rap is already tilted toward bass and highs so perhaps getting headphones designed to emphasize these aspects of the music might actually be covering up some deeper details. I would suggest finding well rounded, balanced sounding headphones that try to be accurate (but not clinically so) will actually allow you to enjoy your music greatly. There is a saying - "If everything is emphasized, then nothing is emphasized." I think it might apply here, buying a headphone "designed" to optimize certain things might just be over-emphasizing these traits to the detriment of the music, not enhancing it. 

Nov 11, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 8
Coming from owning both, I would hands down reccomend the p5's. The p5's have clearer, cleaner sound and i actually prefer their bass to the droning overkill of the Beats. Another reason i would not reccomend the beats are that they are made of cheap plastic and while this doesnt effect the sound quality very much, mine broke literally within a month and now are held together with wire and crazy glue. The p5's on the other hand are made of high quality aluminum and sheepskin leather, there is absolutly no plastic at all on these headphones. Keeping in mind that both are very expensive (im not rich i got them both for 1/2 price ) I belive that the p5's are more worth the cost than the beats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back