New Head-Fier
looking for a new head phone

1. great sound
2. $350 max
3. somewhat protable-travel, plane,train
4. will use iPod for travel and home system when home

appreciate any comments

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 19
Agreed. You really want something that isolates. The P5 fits the bill. That said, there are lots of other good portable headphones out there that may work even better. Consider the Sennheiser hd 25ii and the AIAIAI TMA-1. Both are cheaper than the P5 and seem to be the cream of the crop when it comes to portable, passively isolating headphones.

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 19
I've owned the SR325is and have heard the P5s on several occasions, my recommendation would be neither. For portability in your budget, I really liked the beyer T50P.

(I did prefer the P5s to the SR325is...but the SR225i to both of these).

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 19
I can't comment on the P5 (until I can get an audition somewhere) but the SR325i are pretty bright headphones.  If you really want to grado sound but not too sure if you really want them, there's always the Alessandro line up and you could buy them used here off the forum.

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 19

Quote:
I can't comment on the P5 (until I can get an audition somewhere) but the SR325i are pretty bright headphones.  If you really want to grado sound but not too sure if you really want them, there's always the Alessandro line up and you could buy them used here off the forum.

The SR325is headphones are by far the "brightest" of all the Grado cans IMO. The SR225s are a better match for me (as they sound better to my ears and they cost less) while they still retain that classic Grado sound and attack.

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
Quote:

The SR325is headphones are by far the "brightest" of all the Grado cans IMO. The SR225s are a better match for me (as they sound better to my ears and they cost less) while they still retain that classic Grado sound and attack.

I found that as well, I really liked the SR225, but I think the MS1 can give the SR225 its run for its money.  Never heard them side by side, however when I was lusting for the SR225 but ended up with the MS1 the lust stopped, lol.

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I found that as well, I really liked the SR225, but I think the MS1 can give the SR225 its run for its money.  Never heard them side by side, however when I was lusting for the SR225 but ended up with the MS1 the lust stopped, lol.

They're both great (MS1 and SR225i), but different. The MS1 is more balanced and laid back, and the SR225s are more coloured with the classic Grado house sound. Pick your poison I guess.

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 19
^Remember, the op is looking for a portable headphone. That great grado sound will be totally lost on a busy street or a crowded bus. Whatever headphone the op ends up with, it needs to isolate. So much as all of us (myself included) enjoy the grado sound, the grado line is a very very poor choice in this situation.

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #10 of 19
thanks for the great comments, I have not herd the hd 25ii

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #12 of 19
neither, get the grado, but you need isolation. I will never recommend the P5 because there are far better sounding headphones at it's price. TMA-1 or the HD-25
depending on your music, HD-25 for rock, classic, pop, etc. TMA-1 for RnB, hip-hop, house, etc

Dec 4, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #13 of 19
Well, the Grado isn't portable at all, so by default, the P5 wins. I suppose it is a very stylish and luxurious headphone although you could probably find a better sounding headphone at a cheaper price.

Dec 4, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
^Remember, the op is looking for a portable headphone. That great grado sound will be totally lost on a busy street or a crowded bus. Whatever headphone the op ends up with, it needs to isolate. So much as all of us (myself included) enjoy the grado sound, the grado line is a very very poor choice in this situation.

John Mayer might disagree with you.
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #15 of 19
well I went to the local Audio/video store and listened to the Grado 225 and the B&W P5, here are my comments

I used my iPod Touch with my P51 RSA amp

P5
I listened to these first and the sound was quite good, the isolation was better than expected with these non-canceling phones. I listened to some rock, classical, some guitar and was very happy with them. I did notice that it seemed to be missing some of the frequency range I expected. I am not sure why, maybe because they are brand new and need to be broken in?

SR225i

I listened to these next and it was very evident that these are open phones, the ambient noise was very transparent Through the left and right. The sound seemed a little cleaner, crisper and the base tighter. These phones have what I expect for this price

so for me, even thought these are open phones and semi-portable, ie  the plane, home, office. I am leaning towards the SR225i

So, in summary I suggest what ever phone you are looking at is that you bring your own music and do a test drive yourself, you will find you will not be disappointed!!!!
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back