B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Jan 29, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #1,351 of 1,671
It’s a licensing issue pure and simple. Qualcomm’s business model is based on it. They’ll sell you the chipset but you still need to pay additional license fees for their proprietary codec. B&O made a conscious decision not to capitulate to Qualcomm’s double dipping (just as Apple has done) and I for one applaud this.

AptX in all its forms is a closed proprietary protocol. AAC is an open standard and arguably a better protocol (for example it’s audibly transparent at around 260kps or above and can survive multiple re-encodings). Worth noting that with most Android devices supporting AAC (and more recently LDAC) the use case for AptX just isn’t three any more. If B&O we’re going to support any other protocol I’d argue it should be LDAC which Sony have done the right thing for once and chosen to open up to everyone.
So Qualcomm's the bad guy here. Interesting turn of events, thanks for the knowledge drop!

LDAC works well on my Sony XM2s, unfortunately only Sony seems to be making LDAC gear for now.

Jan 29, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #1,353 of 1,671
So Qualcomm's the bad guy here. Interesting turn of events, thanks for the knowledge drop!

LDAC works well on my Sony XM2s, unfortunately only Sony seems to be making LDAC gear for now.
Qualcomm has always been the bad guy :wink:

Yeah, its a shame there isn't wider headphone support for LDAC, but hopefully in time there will be more over time. I think the driver in codec support will probably be whatever Apple choose to do in the future.

Back on topic - I don't think we'll likely see any B&O updates to support BT 5.0 or AptX. BT 5.0 gives absolutely nothing in terms of audio performance (without proper enhanced codec support on both sides), or for that matter power consumption for audio applications. With BT codec support is more important than the physical transmission protocol.

I don't think we'll see any further updates for the H9i at this point, but equally I don't necessarily see a new version or replacement on the horizon, because there really isn't much to add or improve upon at this point unless its just software tweaks to the ANC.

Jan 29, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #1,354 of 1,671
If you want 0 latency why not plug a 3.5 to 3.5 from the headset to the device in question.
Granted it wont be wireless anymore, but it does support an audio female port.

Does anyone know if ANC still functions while its running through a cable? My dap and phone have 3.5 plugs and would like to still keep the feature.

Im currently using the b&o h6(2g) and its great.

Jan 29, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #1,355 of 1,671
If you want 0 latency why not plug a 3.5 to 3.5 from the headset to the device in question.
Granted it wont be wireless anymore, but it does support an audio female port.

Does anyone know if ANC still functions while its running through a cable? My dap and phone have 3.5 plugs and would like to still keep the feature.

Im currently using the b&o h6(2g) and its great.
Yep the ANC still functions as long as you turn them on when you plug them in. Can use them over USB-C and charge + listen with ANC too. :)

Jan 29, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #1,356 of 1,671
Yep the ANC still functions as long as you turn them on when you plug them in. Can use them over USB-C and charge + listen with ANC too. :)
I love that fact that you can usb-c, charge + listen + anc thats just awesome! :p

Feb 2, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #1,357 of 1,671
Just picked-up the H9i. I do a lot of global travel and was not liking my WH-1000xm3 - just too much bass, very bulky cans and cheaper appearance (but comfortable). On initial comparison I find the H9i much cleaner, crisper sound, more streamlined fit and maybe as comfortable (need to test on a 12 hr flight!). Plus B&O’s are just a quality design and materials. Since I have a pair of the H8s, I’d already learned the ear motions (volume, etc...) and fine with this design feature. The ANC will get tested shortly on a flight, but appears stronger then my H8s, although probably not at the Sony/Bose level.

So far, it seems free on the issues others have listed on this forum. I may just be lucky to have a more recent manufactured pair, coming with the most recent software version. Hope that’s the case.

I find the overall sound fits my my ear. I have used both Radsone and Sonarworks True-fi with my Sony’s. So far the Radsone works well with the H9’s, fine it gives me better customization of sound (depending on my music mood), then the B&O app does. Wish Sonarworks would add the H9i. Anyone else use either of these and recommended settings.

Depending on comfort on this first trip, I might consider changing to the thicker H9/H7 pads. I saw one user on this forum claimed that they fit, after applying a little force. Has anyone else had success it changing the pads. I appreciate the feedback before purchasing replacement pads. Thanks,

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #1,358 of 1,671
Just picked-up the H9i. I do a lot of global travel and was not liking my WH-1000xm3 - just too much bass, very bulky cans and cheaper appearance (but comfortable). On initial comparison I find the H9i much cleaner, crisper sound, more streamlined fit and maybe as comfortable (need to test on a 12 hr flight!). Plus B&O’s are just a quality design and materials. Since I have a pair of the H8s, I’d already learned the ear motions (volume, etc...) and fine with this design feature. The ANC will get tested shortly on a flight, but appears stronger then my H8s, although probably not at the Sony/Bose level.

So far, it seems free on the issues others have listed on this forum. I may just be lucky to have a more recent manufactured pair, coming with the most recent software version. Hope that’s the case.

I find the overall sound fits my my ear. I have used both Radsone and Sonarworks True-fi with my Sony’s. So far the Radsone works well with the H9’s, fine it gives me better customization of sound (depending on my music mood), then the B&O app does. Wish Sonarworks would add the H9i. Anyone else use either of these and recommended settings.
Congrats dude!

Regarding the “issues” with the proximity sensor mentioned by users on this thread, it’s basically nonexistent and usually a result of their inability to initialize the product correctly.

For everyone, B&O advises that the headphones be turned on BEFORE you put them on your head. Give it a good 2-3 seconds to calibrate and then put them on your head. If you’ve done it correctly, you’ll start hearing music after another 2-3 seconds.

Feb 10, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #1,360 of 1,671
Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me how the H9i perform wirelessly when watching video on an iPad, or on TV with a Bluetooth transmitter?

I realise these headphones are primarily for enjoying music, but I’d want to use them for watching video too. Are they usable wirelessly, or is the latency too bad?

The H9 is listed on the aptx website as featuring aptx LL - it’s so disappointing that it was removed from the H9i.

Feb 10, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #1,361 of 1,671
Hi guys, I would like to use the H9i lying on the bed, does the slight motion or friction between the pillow and the headphone activate the play/pause/volume function?
Regards Wayne
Hi Wayne, I’ve been using mine in bed to listen to some binaural beat tracks that are supposed to help with sleep, and haven’t really had a problem but if you turn your head too far to the right, it can trigger a pause. You could avoid that potential issue by using them wired.

Cheers,
Ryan

Feb 10, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #1,362 of 1,671
Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me how the H9i perform wirelessly when watching video on an iPad, or on TV with a Bluetooth transmitter?

I realise these headphones are primarily for enjoying music, but I’d want to use them for watching video too. Are they usable wirelessly, or is the latency too bad?

The H9 is listed on the aptx website as featuring aptx LL - it’s so disappointing that it was removed from the H9i.

Trying to watch TV on my 10 year old Mac, there was an unacceptable lag in the audio. But they work flawlessly watching streaming video (Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, etc) on my 2nd generation iPad Pro. The sound is quite impressive and really enhances the viewing experience, in my opinion.

Cheers,
Ryan

Feb 11, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #1,363 of 1,671
Hi rswatson,

Thanks! That was a useful insight!

There is no way to lock the touch feature I guess. I may have second thought of getting it..

Regards Wayne

Hi Wayne, I’ve been using mine in bed to listen to some binaural beat tracks that are supposed to help with sleep, and haven’t really had a problem but if you turn your head too far to the right, it can trigger a pause. You could avoid that potential issue by using them wired.

Cheers,
Ryan

Feb 11, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #1,365 of 1,671
For anyone wondering if you can use the H7/H9 cushions on the H9i, you can. You simply have to push them down with a tiny bit of force, but it works nevertheless.
In my short test it did not alter the sound but felt much more comfortable to me.
I tried this today with my old H7 cushions and new ones I got from beoplay.com and it worked out well. Also no damage to the pins I described in an earlier post.
Both the old H7 and the buyable H7 cushions do have this pin.

I still don't understand why B&O changed this part of the design of the H9i, so as to prevent one from using the H7/H9 cushions.

I’m curious to try the H7 pads on my H9i since the sound is amazing, but the comfort could be improved. Are you still happy with this setup? Do you have the dimensions of the H7 pads? How much thicker are they? Is the ear opening any larger?

Thanks,
Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back