B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Dec 20, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #1,321 of 1,671
I have initiated the return of my H9 due to inability to pair itself with any other Bluetooth apparatus. Some electrical fault as b&o spirt said. It also could not be reset to factory settings. One of the questions of the return procedure was whether I would accept a replacement with an h9i set. I can't say that I read encouraging opinions on the h9i so I wonder whether I was wrong to accept a possible replacement with the latest model.

Dec 21, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #1,323 of 1,671
I have initiated the return of my H9 due to inability to pair itself with any other Bluetooth apparatus. Some electrical fault as b&o spirt said. It also could not be reset to factory settings. One of the questions of the return procedure was whether I would accept a replacement with an h9i set. I can't say that I read encouraging opinions on the h9i so I wonder whether I was wrong to accept a possible replacement with the latest model.
I love mine. I got only problem with proximity sensor sometimes. I checked PX, Sony xm2 and bose quietcomfort 35 and h9i sounded the best imo.

Dec 21, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #1,325 of 1,671

People are never satisfied, and no, there’s no perfect wireless headphone out there. But for what it’s worth, the h9i is the best on the market right now.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #1,328 of 1,671
I picked up a used pair of H9i today, hoping it'll be have a similar sound signature as the H7 but with ANC. I had this impression basing on that people say the H9i is basically the wireless + ANC version of the H6...

H7 > H9i:
- More dynamic, better imaging, slightly better soundstage, but most importantly deeper and punchier bass.
- Deeper, cushier ear pads

H9i > H7:
- More bass (but not as deep or as punchy...)
- Warmer, fuller sound
- I like the higher clamping force

The difference is there even if both are wired, and if both are wireless (no ANC). ANC performance is another notch worse... In terms of SQ I'd rank:

H7 wired > H9i wired ~ H7 wireless >> H9i wireless >> H9i ANC

To be honest I'm a little disappointed. Debating if I should try to sell the pair of H9i's back out... Is SQ more important, or not needing to fight office and coffee shop noise more important? Argh...

Jan 9, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #1,329 of 1,671
How are the H9i's compared to the H6 (2nd Gen) ?
I'm currently wired with the H6(2ndG) to my phone (Samsung Note 9). im wondering if i should buy a pair of H9i as an upgrade. i dont want the H9i to sound worse than the H6 as that would really upset me, but if they're an improvement on the sound i'll drop the 600$+tax CND on it in a heart beat.

Jan 11, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #1,330 of 1,671
Hi.

I own a pair of H8i and I'm very happy with them looking from an overall performance/features perspective for a ANC headphone. Of course there where compromises but I got them at a really good price that was on par with the other premium ANC headphones (Bose, Sony) so I went for these, at retail price I would have selected another pair. Tried almost every ANC on the market.

Does anybody know if the ear cushions from the H9i will fit the H8i and vice versa? Would be nice to be able to switch between on-ear and over-ear.

Jan 11, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #1,331 of 1,671
Hi.

I own a pair of H8i and I'm very happy with them looking from an overall performance/features perspective for a ANC headphone. Of course there where compromises but I got them at a really good price that was on par with the other premium ANC headphones (Bose, Sony) so I went for these, at retail price I would have selected another pair. Tried almost every ANC on the market.

Does anybody know if the ear cushions from the H9i will fit the H8i and vice versa? Would be nice to be able to switch between on-ear and over-ear.
I dont think it would be possible, the locking mechanism for the pads may not fit the same track that the h8i have for their pad rings.

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #1,332 of 1,671
Here is my story. I bought H9i right after they hit the shelves. From the beginning they gave me problems with the random pauses. But I loved the sound so much that I decided to keep them and wait for the software updates. 5.0.4 seems to be final software update and my random pauses were so annoying that I was on the verge of tears. I read about the proper calibration, manual software updates, reset, battery removing but nothing worked.

Then recently the touch panel started to malfunction (after 9 months). It wouldn't recognise gestures, only play/pause function was working. To make it work again I needed to turn them off/on couple times, re-insert battery, reset headphones. After that it worked for some time but then still, once in a while (actually very often) the touch pad problem happened again and again. It was too much for me.

A year of hell and I finally decided to bring them to the shop, it went to the repair.

You won't believe, the repair shop (polish official supplier of the B&O) told me that everything is ok, it's my fault or my imagination. I made a hell of a discussion. I wanted repaired, functioning headphones I paid for, cash back or the new one to try. It was nervous discussion but I finally received a new H9i. And believe me, it was well worth it! They work as advertised, no random pauses, touch panel works even snappier then my original pair, straight out of the box. Only one minor flaw, the ear cushions are not so nice as my original, the skin is a little deformed, they look bad but I decided to keep them nevertheless.
I can still hear the bluetooth searching for the devices but it never bothered me, because they eventually stop searching after a while.

So I think the first pair was just defective, it could be the problem of the first, faulty batch or just a coincidence.
Maybe they fixed something and year later they are finally ready for prime time.
They work as advertised (fingers crossed), I'm very happy and now I can enjoy the music, finally!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #1,333 of 1,671
Here is my story. I bought H9i right after they hit the shelves. From the beginning they gave me problems with the random pauses. But I loved the sound so much that I decided to keep them and wait for the software updates. 5.0.4 seems to be final software update and my random pauses were so annoying that I was on the verge of tears. I read about the proper calibration, manual software updates, reset, battery removing but nothing worked.

Then recently the touch panel started to malfunction (after 9 months). It wouldn't recognise gestures, only play/pause function was working. To make it work again I needed to turn them off/on couple times, re-insert battery, reset headphones. After that it worked for some time but then still, once in a while (actually very often) the touch pad problem happened again and again. It was too much for me.

A year of hell and I finally decided to brought them to the shop, it went to the repair.

You won't believe, the repair shop (polish official supplier of the B&O) told me that everything is ok, it's my fault or my imagination. I made a hell of a discussion. I wanted repaired, functioning headphones I paid for, cash back or the new one to try. It was nervous discussion but I finally received a new H9i. And believe me, it was well worth it! They work as advertised, no random pauses, touch panel works even snappier then my original pair, straight out of the box. Only one minor flaw, the ear cushions are not so nice as my original, the skin is a little deformed, they look bad but I decided to keep them nevertheless.
I can still hear the bluetooth searching for the devices but it never bothered me, because they eventually stop searching after a while.

So I think the first pair was just defective, it could be the problem of the first, faulty batch or just a coincidence.
Maybe they fixed something and year later they are finally ready for prime time.
They work as advertised (fingers crossed), I'm very happy and now I can enjoy the music, finally!
good to hear the new pair is going well - so is my first pair three months in

Jan 21, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #1,334 of 1,671
i'm too scared to invest into the H9i unless the sound is better than my H6(Gen2). and from what i've been told it isnt an improvement even when cabled in 3.5mm. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back