B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Mar 29, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #1,036 of 1,671
Brokenhat and UoKTeN

Thank you both for those comments.
Sounds like I need to put my H9’s up for sale (mine and my wife’s)

Shameless plug
My wife's pair is up on the for sale forum - at a nice price!

Mar 30, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #1,037 of 1,671
Does the H9 have smaller cups than the H7 or the same size? At first I thought they were smaller but looking at pictures, they seem almost identical and hard to tell apart. At least in black.

Mar 30, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #1,039 of 1,671
Used to have the PX. The PX is more detailed, but the PX ANC is awful compared to the H9i's ANC in my opinion. The H9i does a much better job of filtering out background noise and definitely attenuates higher frequencies (which the PX does literally nothing about.) I haven't compared it to the H9, but I've heard it's a large difference.

Question...other than ANC quality. How is the sound compared to the PX and perhaps beats studio 2? I currently have the PX and and Studio 2 and while I appreciate the clarity of the PX, I love how “fun” the studios sound. Also wirelessly the PX is not close to being as loud as the studios. How loud are the H9i’s in comparison?

Mar 30, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #1,040 of 1,671
Question...other than ANC quality. How is the sound compared to the PX and perhaps beats studio 2? I currently have the PX and and Studio 2 and while I appreciate the clarity of the PX, I love how “fun” the studios sound. Also wirelessly the PX is not close to being as loud as the studios. How loud are the H9i’s in comparison?
Im not the guy you responded to but Ill share my opinion since I'm bored. Ive owned both, because I'm a youtube reviewer. I hated the sound quality of the PX in comparison but then again I dont know if my hatred came due to the massive uncomfort I felt with the PX. Anyway as far as clarity goes, I understand a lot of people like the PX for clarity and Id say they are just about the same. But when people in this thread talk about the sibilance in the high frequency range... its really there... like it almost hurts your ears sometimes if you aren't careful and its something a pure audiophile would run away from. All around the clarity is essentially the same, and if you tweak the H9i settings a little it can sound even clearer.

Idk about you guys in this thread saying the volume is not loud enough, with the H9i's they average around the same volume as my wired. lets just say that If I wanted to I could blow out my ear drums with the H9i . But then again im using an iPhone X (the United States model) and other devices (especially in the EU) may have limits.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #1,041 of 1,671
How is the PX ANC compared to the H9i's ANC?
Have you compared the H9i to the H9? I currently own the H9 however if the ANC on the 9i is much better than I will upgrade
H9i vs PX on ANC, H9i all the way... H9i is better than the PX at blocking out sounds yet still retains a decent sound quality. Put the PX on airplane mode (Which is the best noise cancelling mode) and it literally turns into a tin can headphone that sound horrible.

Im a Pilot, I own a $1000 dollar Bose noise cancelling headset so ive heard the best of the best when it comes to noise cancelling but id say the H9i does the best of the two but no where near the best in the industry. I personally think bose QC35 has the best noise cancelling in the consumer headphone industry. Then again we are on this forum for sound quality first and foremost.

Mar 30, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #1,042 of 1,671
lets just say that If I wanted to I could blow out my ear drums with the H9i
It's honestly largely dependent on the source material. A lot of older recordings are much quieter than a lot of modern ones, so you gotta crank 'em if you want to get goosebumps on that song you know to make it the difference between "I can hear this" and "this is a perfect moment".

Mar 30, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #1,043 of 1,671
Does the H9 have smaller cups than the H7 or the same size? At first I thought they were smaller but looking at pictures, they seem almost identical and hard to tell apart. At least in black.

Does anyone own both the H7 and H9? Or even seen them side by side? I'm still wondering if they're the same size or if the H9 is smaller.

Mar 31, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #1,044 of 1,671
It's honestly largely dependent on the source material. A lot of older recordings are much quieter than a lot of modern ones, so you gotta crank 'em if you want to get goosebumps on that song you know to make it the difference between "I can hear this" and "this is a perfect moment".
Very true, I get stuff from apple music so everything is pretty modernized, even the old stuff. Im not sure what the audio purists in this forum are using as a source so that may depend. I respect it though.

Apr 1, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #1,045 of 1,671
If a headphone model were to have AptX patched on to it later in its shelf life by way of an OTA firmware update, would certain hardware and circuitry need to be physically on the headphones in the first place?

I've finally been able to get some better answers from B&O, and it seems that B&O are aware that omitting AptX may have been a faux-pas. At the same time, they say that omitting AptX was a "forward looking decision" by the management team -- what are they smoking over there in B&O's HQ in Denmark?!

Anyhow, the message continues to say that "they are considering adding AptX". It's not clear whether this means the hardware is ready for this or whether there will need to be be a revised model of the H9i.

Full message here:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting the B&O Play Support regarding your H9i.

I apologize for any confusion with our latest emails. I'd be happy to clear that up and provide a more detailed explanation of why AptX is not currently supported.

As most Android based devices already do or will soon support AAC, it was decided that our focus should be on AAC foremost. The difference in sound quality that we found to have no noticeable difference is between AAC and AptX, rather than SBC. I understand that this is not convenient for all users but was a forward looking decision made by our management team.

We truly appreciate constructive feedback from users like you which is why our management and developer teams are considering adding AptX but there is no final decision or ETA available regarding this currently.

Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,

Allyce
B&O PLAY Support

What’s weird is that it looks like the H9 (prior model) did have aptX:

https://www.aptx.com/products/bo-beoplay-h9

Too bad B&O took a step backwards and removed aptX support.

Apr 1, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #1,046 of 1,671
Apr 4, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #1,047 of 1,671
What’s weird is that it looks like the H9 (prior model) did have aptX:

https://www.aptx.com/products/bo-beoplay-h9

Too bad B&O took a step backwards and removed aptX support.

Correct, shocking. Mine went back and are awaiting refund. One answer given to me re why it was removed was because of the high cost of licensing! Talk of taking the micky out of your customer! Makes you wonder if they thought they'd get enough sales from iPhone users (who use the AAC support on the H9i) or people who just don't care about looking at spec in greater detail! If that's the case, then what a pity from a brand such as B&O. Because whatever else you say, they are beautiful, luxurious and very well made.

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #1,049 of 1,671
Ok, Heres my story..... about the H9i. I made a stupid mistake I know.

in bullet points:

Bought them, Went to work later that evening, I work as a sound technician for a multi purpose hall.

DJ came and set up his equipment, Played it really loud, was hurting my ears.

Decided to put on my headphones.

while headphones were on my head I took the left ear cup and raised it from my ear slightly and I heard distortion.

I did this a couple of times and took out my phone to detect, using an app I found out the room was at 106 dB.

Turns out the noise cancelling mic couldn't handle it and was distorting, I put my headphones away. (Even though 106 dB is a simple plane on takeoff... I know because I'm a licensed Pilot.)

Few hours later in a quiet environment the left ear cup started creating feedback.. LOUD feedback when I raised it from my ear slightly.

Are these headphones this fragile or am I missing something... I got a new pair obviously but same deal, the left ear cup interior microphone is more sensitive than the right. When I raise it from my ear slightly and wave it around a little I can hear a low whistle, not as bad as before but still there. Try it out on your H9i, Raise the left ear cup from your ear (while the headphones are on your head) and slightly wave it around your ear you can hear the low whistle and at the perfect angle it may feedback.

And for those of you thinking this is a silly problem that wouldn't hurt anyone in application take note on my previous pair whenever I took off my headphones the whistled through the library at 3 am. oh and also rang into my ear....

Again I ask, are the interior electret condenser microphones that sensitive?!?! Im asking this to prevent this from happening in the future.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #1,050 of 1,671
Ok, Heres my story..... about the H9i. I made a stupid mistake I know.

in bullet points:

Bought them, Went to work later that evening, I work as a sound technician for a multi purpose hall.

DJ came and set up his equipment, Played it really loud, was hurting my ears.

Decided to put on my headphones.

while headphones were on my head I took the left ear cup and raised it from my ear slightly and I heard distortion.

I did this a couple of times and took out my phone to detect, using an app I found out the room was at 106 dB.

Turns out the noise cancelling mic couldn't handle it and was distorting, I put my headphones away. (Even though 106 dB is a simple plane on takeoff... I know because I'm a licensed Pilot.)

Few hours later in a quiet environment the left ear cup started creating feedback.. LOUD feedback when I raised it from my ear slightly.

Are these headphones this fragile or am I missing something... I got a new pair obviously but same deal, the left ear cup interior microphone is more sensitive than the right. When I raise it from my ear slightly and wave it around a little I can hear a low whistle, not as bad as before but still there. Try it out on your H9i, Raise the left ear cup from your ear (while the headphones are on your head) and slightly wave it around your ear you can hear the low whistle and at the perfect angle it may feedback.

And for those of you thinking this is a silly problem that wouldn't hurt anyone in application take note on my previous pair whenever I took off my headphones the whistled through the library at 3 am. oh and also rang into my ear....

Again I ask, are the interior electret condenser microphones that sensitive?!?! Im asking this to prevent this from happening in the future.

I went from the H9 to the H9i and there is nothing I regret more than that. Ok the noise cancelling is a-lot better than the one in the H9. But if you try to walk with the headset you get many strange sounds like you explain here.
Also this auto when you take headset on of is not possible to take of anymore on my headset.

I have sendt one headset back to Beoplay and the shop were I got them got the headset back and saying it was no problems with the headset. (Beoplay have in my mind the worst customer support I have even bin in touch with. Also had to send back 3 sets of the H9.)
Now I will just try and get a refund on my H9i´s. As it is now they I can barely use them sitting in an office desk with out music turning on/of or making strange sounds from the way to sensitive mic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back