B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Jan 23, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #721 of 1,671
I normally listen to Apple Music, so the AAC codec from source to the H9 is preserved and it sounds great at about 50% volume on my iPhone X, but today I started listening to Spotify on my iPhone and was really surprised at the quite large drop in fidelity and volume when using the Spotify OGG files and being transcoded to (presumably) SBC. Maybe this is why people complain about the volume being low on the H9? I had to go up to around 75% volume with Spotify to match the output of Apple Music at 50%.

Jan 23, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #722 of 1,671
Got my new H9i today. Impressions so far:
- significant improvement on the already very comfortable nice sounding H9
- doesn’t have the overloaded bass of the H9. Much better. The bass is still there but does not dominate (see the test tracks I referred to in my post a few pages back)
- conversely, there was now some shrillness, and in an audiobook there was a lot of overemphasised sibilants which made me reach for the tone control app
- seems to have more volume available than the H9
- the detection of when they have been taken off works reasonably well, although a few times I needed to touch the pause button to get things moving again
- crosswinds, when walking outside, generate a lot of noise
- still supplied with a crappy bag which does not match B&O’s attention to quality of materials
- transparency works well (pauses music and feeds sound from outside)

The B&O shop told me there is an adjustment which offers different transparency settings, in the app, but I can’t find it.

Jan 23, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #724 of 1,671
^ how are the touch controls?
So far, ok. Took a little while to figure out because swipe up and down are two different things , not the opposite of each other, which is contrary and therefore hard to learn. Designed by engineers probably.

As with the H9, the feedback to the user is confusing (just a beep, or nothing; on and off give the same beep). B&O need to read some basic books on user interface design!

Edit: looks as though the much disliked double click to redial function has been eliminated. Hooray.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #725 of 1,671
So far, ok. Took a little while to figure out because swipe up and down are two different things , not the opposite of each other, which is contrary and therefore hard to learn. Designed by engineers probably.

As with the H9, the feedback to the user is confusing (just a beep, or nothing). B&O need to read some basic books on user interface design!

Edit: looks as though the much disliked double click to redial function has been eliminated. Hooray.

And how is the ANC? Is it better?

Jan 23, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #726 of 1,671
And how is the ANC? Is it better?
I didn’t try the H9 in real world situations because I was going to return it. The H9i seems good. Tested so far on busy urban streets and underground trains and in a hotel room with noisy aircon: I felt it gave me just the right amount of isolation. Enjoyed my music without much interruption (the occasional train announcement cut through) and although I feel some pressure, there isn’t the feeling of having phones clamped to your head that I had when trying the B&W PX. Haven’t tried it in an office yet.

Jan 25, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #728 of 1,671
I got my H9i yesterday. Only now testing the sound and I’m riding the bus to try out the ANC. The bass is not less than the H9i at all. It has more mid-bass (tighter) and low bass (more rumble). I like how it’s become now. A friend who was never content with the H9’s bass and always looks for a V-MODA quality bass tried my pair last night and said the new H9i sounds really good.

Now about the ANC, I’m just talking from memory here, but it seems like the new ANC is about 25% better in the bus. But, I do honestly feel more pressure while trying it for the first time last night at home. Not sure if it’s because I haven’t used any ANC for a while now, or if it is indeed this way.

[Edit: Tighter bass, but overall not more rumbly than H9. Still slightly more rumbly than H7.]

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #729 of 1,671
Living with them for longer, I am very comfortable with these. However anyone expecting the ANC to give complete isolation will be disappointed. On the London Underground, it was going very well indeed with no interruptions from people or equipment until a couple of tourists started up a conversation (I won’t say where they were from but Londoners will know what I mean when I say the tourists’ national default speaking volume a much higher level than the locals :-]) and that went straight through and fought for attention with my listening. Similarly, breakfast in a noisy hotel was clutter-free but conversations intruded on my audiobook. For more isolation, go for the B&W PX. But for decent isolation combined with (almost) no impact of ANC on music, the H9i are a good compromise.

B&O confirmed that the H9i are indeed a little louder than the H9: 95dB vs 93dB @ 1 kHz / 1 mW. Not much, but for me, just enough to make the right difference. And I am SO glad that the double-click-to-redial feature has been killed: this was the showstopper for me in the H9.

The pause-when-removing-phones feature is great at times, and a nuisance at other times (eg when reclining on a pillow). Luckily it can be disabled (if you can remember the incantations required).

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #730 of 1,671
Did try both the H9i and H8i at Beo store today. Both are better than the H9. Went for the H8i. I like that you can fold them, they are lighter and more compact. H9i sound is more balanced than the H9. As other users have pointed out, the bass on the new headset has a better approach to sound and mimics the H6 more than a pair of brawly Beats.

As the comfort of the H8i has been improved with better and a little bit bigger cushions, I am choosing them. Sound is very good. Didn’t try out call quality.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #734 of 1,671
Would not want to hold unto them if I could get most of my money back, but if you are stuck with low offers, I would probably bite the bullet and use them until something like H10 is released.

The eBay resale market is kind of crappy at the moment, and I've never had good luck with Craigslist, so I probably wouldn't get anywhere near most of my money back for them.

Jan 25, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #735 of 1,671
Did try both the H9i and H8i at Beo store today. Both are better than the H9. Went for the H8i. I like that you can fold them, they are lighter and more compact. H9i sound is more balanced than the H9. As other users have pointed out, the bass on the new headset has a better approach to sound and mimics the H6 more than a pair of brawly Beats.

As the comfort of the H8i has been improved with better and a little bit bigger cushions, I am choosing them. Sound is very good. Didn’t try out call quality.

I have the H9's.
What are the differences between the H9i and H8i in terms of sound and ANC? Are they close or is the H9i decidedly superior?

How does the H8i compare to the original H9? I like the idea of folding and more compact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back