B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Jan 14, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #692 of 1,671
I guess that means they care more about iPhone users than Android users (ha ha)

Jan 15, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #693 of 1,671
I was also quite surprised at aptX removal, upon checking out the H9i product page. It worked just fine on the OG H9, going back to AAC (if you don't have an Oreo Android phone, forget about using this) and SBC (500 bucks for SBC What) seems to be a major step back.

Jan 15, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #696 of 1,671
I was also quite surprised at aptX removal, upon checking out the H9i product page. It worked just fine on the OG H9, going back to AAC (if you don't have an Oreo Android phone, forget about using this) and SBC (500 bucks for SBC What) seems to be a major step back.

Personally that's not a big deal for me, since I use an iPhone X and Apple Music, so AAC is what's getting used for my H9 already. I can totally see how it's a big deal for a lot of people though.

yeah. I feel a LOT better about my H9, assuming the info on the website isn't incorrect.

Would still like improved ANC but eh

The main features I want to see ported back to the H9 are being able to connect to multiple bluetooth devices at once, (hopefully?) having the headphones retain your TrueTone setting after powering off or switching devices, and possibly a little more battery life. If that gets ported back in a firmware update, I'll be happy.

Jan 15, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #697 of 1,671
The main features I want to see ported back to the H9 are being able to connect to multiple bluetooth devices at once, (hopefully?) having the headphones retain your TrueTone setting after powering off or switching devices, and possibly a little more battery life. If that gets ported back in a firmware update, I'll be happy.
With TrueTone you mean your personalised EQ in the Beoplay App? Is that actually possible to keep the setting when powered off / using wired with the new H9i? That would be awesome...

Jan 15, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #699 of 1,671
Strangely enough I've never had any issues with EQ adjustment , I've opened up the soundstage just a smidge, saved it as my own custom preset and exited the app, and the headphone remembers it just fine.

I do realise there have been lots of complaints about this though. Stuff like this should just work, no excuses.

Jan 15, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #700 of 1,671
Strangely enough I've never had any issues with EQ adjustment , I've opened up the soundstage just a smidge, saved it as my own custom preset and exited the app, and the headphone remembers it just fine.

I do realise there have been lots of complaints about this though. Stuff like this should just work, no excuses.

It does work. Until you do the software update (so if you haven't done it yet, don't do it because the only noticeable difference is this...). You'll have to restart the app and manually select your prefered EQ setting each time you reconnect the headphone. As I wrote before, that's all the first update has done for me so I'm really curious about the 2nd...

Jan 15, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #701 of 1,671
It does work. Until you do the software update (so if you haven't done it yet, don't do it because the only noticeable difference is this...). You'll have to restart the app and manually select your prefered EQ setting each time you reconnect the headphone. As I wrote before, that's all the first update has done for me so I'm really curious about the 2nd...

Yeah I moved mine along the midline towards the right to make it sound a bit brighter, similar to the H6 gen2. I wish it stayed all the time after powering down.

Jan 15, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #702 of 1,671
A feature request could also be to let the user decide what happens when you touch the earcup, to avoid redialing the last person you called. That seems to be a big problem for many if you double tap the earcup.

Jan 15, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #703 of 1,671
A feature request could also be to let the user decide what happens when you touch the earcup, to avoid redialing the last person you called. That seems to be a big problem for many if you double tap the earcup.
Totally agree, happened a few times to me also.
Adjusting volume is also a issue for me,
Other touch controls work OK for me (Even with winter gloves)

Jan 15, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #704 of 1,671
I think the double tap to re-dial last call is simply a deal killer. Could have been neutralised with a software update. Instead you get the 500 dollar upgrade in order to get the product you really wanted. The bass is a bit enthusiastic on the H9, but I missed the punch while using public transportation trying out the H6, which has better reproduction, but again, is better suited for offices and homes than out in the public. The ANC is good enough, but I agree, it could always be a bit better. Haven't tried calling with the device, so don't know about voice quality, but I hate using muffs to talk, so not a deal killer.

The H9 was a beta device for sure. I love that it is wireless, but the double tap to re-dial last call is simply too frustrating to deal with. The fact that it starts a call by sometimes just taking off the phones makes you unaware that it is activated. It should also turn itself off when idle for more than 5 minutes or something. Going back to the store tomorrow to get my money back. The new H9i doesn't do double tap to call, and you can activate Siri with it like you can on the E8.

I like the touch controls for volume, pause and play, but all the other features are an engineers pipe dream. The EQ in the current app is simply too general and too dumbed down to be useful. Right now I am more in the market for a pair of AirPods than muffs. They work seamlessly with the iPhone, and that is sometimes more valuable than sound quality. Tried the E8, but they are too big and they hurt my ears. If they make a smaller E8, maybe I'll bite.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #705 of 1,671
I'll be very curious to hear what people have to say once they get the H9i. A friend in my office ordered a pair, so I might steal his for an hour or two to listen and get a feel for them.

It's interesting that the size is quite different between the H9 and H9i. According to the Beoplay website doing a compare for the two headphones:

DIMENSIONS
H9: 197 x 225 x 40 mm
H9i: 197 x 200 x 52 mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back