B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Jan 20, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #706 of 1,671
I was so torn about buying these, they look so awesome, but the sound is just ok and the controls are finicky. I also felt like they were kind of underpowered and quiet...anyone feel that?

Jan 20, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #708 of 1,671
Jan 20, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #710 of 1,671
I'd love to hear your impressions of the H9i if you hear them. Their IEM, the E8, sounded not bad. Not as good as other $300 IEMs, but one of the better wireless IEMs I've tried...the controls were horrible though.

Jan 21, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #711 of 1,671
Both H8i and H9i has been slightly redesigned. I have preordered a pair of H9i as I remembered the H9 was quite nice, and I have been very disappointed with my Bowers & Wilkins PX - not so much sound-wise, but quality and software they haven't been as solid as my Bowers & Wilkins P7 wireless which is some of the best wireless headphones I've owned.

So I'm excited to get the H9i late this upcoming week.

H9-vs-H9i.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #715 of 1,671
^ ...i was talking about the picture :wink:

You can see it only slightly in that picture, but it seems that the metal surface with the touch controls now is not flat anymore, instead it seems it's A LITTLE convex.

It's a but more noticeable in pictures that show the headphones at an angle.

Not 100% sure tho, it may be an optical effect.

Jan 22, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #717 of 1,671
Went back with my H9. Ordered the H8i in natural colors.
Very interested to hear more about this choice. How is the comfort of on-ear vs around-ear? How about the noise reduction eg on trains - do you lose much by not having around-the-ear isolation?

I have H9i on order but H8i would be easier to fit in my shoulder bag when I'm not wearing it I think. Anyone else looked closely at H8 vs H9?

Jan 22, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #718 of 1,671
Very interested to hear more about this choice. How is the comfort of on-ear vs around-ear? How about the noise reduction eg on trains - do you lose much by not having around-the-ear isolation?

Call quality was very bad on the H9. This is a feature that seems to be addressed on the H8i. The bass was also overwhelming on the H9, so the advertised more powerful bass on the new H9i isn't something I desire. I am not that fond of charging, so 30 hours vs 18 hours means less charging, less cycles and wear on the battery. USB-C is also welcome.

I also like the buttons instead of touch. They have all been clumsy, and there has never been any Apple touchpad like quality gestures on any headphone. H8i has buttons, H9i still dabble in touch. I also felt the H9 was a bit big on the head, and was much more protruding than H6, which makes you look and feel like Mickey Mouse. I will not comment on fit, as we are all made different, but I can comment on the size of the actual headphones. Since they don't fold into a travel case, having less impact in size and weight is welcome. Noise cancelling is also improved, and seem to have the same features of the H9i. How this will work on a plane or a bus I do not yet know, but H9 wasn't as good as the WH-1000XM2, but the Sony didn't sound that nice either.

Bottom line is that I don't need the extra bass, which is the only advertised feature that distinguish these to models in terms of features and technology. Fit may be a problem, but that is due to the size of your ears, or if they are stiff. I couldn't use the E8s for long periods of time due to fit. The H8i is also a bit larger than the H8, so I think it will be comfortable to wear. I had some trouble with Beyerdynamic T50p Tesla in 2011, but they are nowhere near as refined as B&O in terms of craftsmanship and comfort. Again, the touch controls on H9 and Sony WH-1000XM2 doesn't feel refined, so I believe buttons are better. I don't like the noise from tapping on headphone either, though circling around to control the volume feels sleek when it works.

The H8i checks all my boxes. Strong battery, buttons and comes in a more portable package. Improved call quality is a must, along with Siri, which is good for commanding your phone to call.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #719 of 1,671
Call quality was very bad on the H9. This is a feature that seems to be addressed on the H8i. The bass was also overwhelming on the H9, so the advertised more powerful bass on the new H9i isn't something I desire. I am not that fond of charging, so 30 hours vs 18 hours means less charging, less cycles and wear on the battery. USB-C is also welcome.

I also like the buttons instead of touch. They have all been clumsy, and there has never been any Apple touchpad like quality gestures on any headphone. H8i has buttons, H9i still dabble in touch. I also felt the H9 was a bit big on the head, and was much more protruding than H6, which makes you look and feel like Mickey Mouse. I will not comment on fit, as we are all made different, but I can comment on the size of the actual headphones. Since they don't fold into a travel case, having less impact in size and weight is welcome. Noise cancelling is also improved, and seem to have the same features of the H9i. How this will work on a plane or a bus I do not yet know, but H9 wasn't as good as the WH-1000XM2, but the Sony didn't sound that nice either.

Bottom line is that I don't need the extra bass, which is the only advertised feature that distinguish these to models in terms of features and technology. Fit may be a problem, but that is due to the size of your ears, or if they are stiff. I couldn't use the E8s for long periods of time due to fit. The H8i is also a bit larger than the H8, so I think it will be comfortable to wear. I had some trouble with Beyerdynamic T50p Tesla in 2011, but they are nowhere near as refined as B&O in terms of craftsmanship and comfort. Again, the touch controls on H9 and Sony WH-1000XM2 doesn't feel refined, so I believe buttons are better. I don't like the noise from tapping on headphone either, though circling around to control the volume feels sleek when it works.

The H8i checks all my boxes. Strong battery, buttons and comes in a more portable package. Improved call quality is a must, along with Siri, which is good for commanding your phone to call.

My biggest problems with H8:

1- Comfort (becomes really painful after 2 hours) (H9 does not have this problem)
2- Low max volume (H9 was worse)
3- When walking I could hear every single step of mine through the headphones (H9 does not have this problem)
4- Connecticity issues (Drops out if you put your phone in your left pocket instead of right) (H9 does not have this problem)

Other than these I loved h8s. I hope H8i solves all these issues.

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #720 of 1,671
My biggest problems with H8:

1- Comfort (becomes really painful after 2 hours) (H9 does not have this problem)
2- Low max volume (H9 was worse)
3- When walking I could hear every single step of mine through the headphones (H9 does not have this problem)
4- Connecticity issues (Drops out if you put your phone in your left pocket instead of right) (H9 does not have this problem)

Other than these I loved h8s. I hope H8i solves all these issues.

Tried a pair of regular H8 in a store tonight, and the fit felt a bit stressed.

https://bocopenhagen.dk/en/beoplay-h8-vs-beoplay-h8i-blogpost/

According to this blogpost, they have made an effort to reduce the amount of stress along with making it a bit bigger around the ears. Well, it seems according to the marketing material that they are addressing the issues of the users with the new line of both the H8i and H9i. I haven't owned a pair of H8, but I had the H9 for a month, and it felt like a first generation beta device. Reviews reflect this, at least the critical ones. The low volume doesn't bother me, as it isn't that low. I have measured 90+ dBA in the H9 at max volume, source being an iPhone X, which is more than enough to affect your hearing.

"You can connect your H8i wirelessly with two devices at the same time, and with a range of more than 31 meters, you can stream music further from your device without interruptions."

The range is also increased in the new H8i, but the step phenomena I couldn't feel in store when I tested the H8 this evening.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back