B.M.C. Announces PureDAC
Aug 24, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #271 of 291
  You just picked the three best measuring dac's to do a measurement comparison. :) I've seen measurements of the CEC and BMC equipment and they are not the best in the world like your examples but they are at least excellent. Over a certain threshold measurements have less importance than build quality, long term reliability (my CEC HD53N volume control was wonky and the warranty short), long term support, looks, perceived value and resale price.

I just snagged a few recent examples that were vaguely in the same class as the DirectStream. Not trying to bash PS Audio, just using it as a case study in how marketing and expectations can differ from real-world results. 

I agree that measurements don't tell the whole story - however, when Ted Smith of PS Audio goes on and on about jitter (page 1 of that review, about half way down) and the measurements show issues with that very thing.... I'm trying to tie this in to your earlier comment about the Schiit stack versus the UltraDAC. The Schiit is highly anticipated but we don't really have any idea what it will deliver. And frankly, we don't know with the UltraDAC either. So let's keep an open mind until they arrive. 

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #272 of 291
I was just using that YGG/RAG stack as an example so let's not have a discussion about Schiit here. If you like, AudioGD M7/M9 is another one, or my own Headroom BUDA/UDAC/DPS and on and on. There are many good separates around 2500€ total. In fact that price range is the sweet spot for high end separates.

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #274 of 291
I have been playing around with MH-1s recabled in balanced mode on my Puredac....simply outstanding!

I have also recabled 2 sets with Apple remote cables very successfully...

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #277 of 291
yep...good old Norh LeAmps....great monoblocks at the price
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #279 of 291
When using the Puredac straight from the Mac without using Audirvana [or similar software that takes over the USB output], what Audio MIDI setting should I use?

I see that they are all selectable from 44 kHz to 384kHz on the Xmos USB 2 audio out....and the Puredac reports accordingly.

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #280 of 291
  When using the Puredac straight from the Mac without using Audirvana [or similar software that takes over the USB output], what Audio MIDI setting should I use?

I see that they are all selectable from 44 kHz to 384kHz on the Xmos USB 2 audio out....and the Puredac reports accordingly.

Most of your music is 44.1, so there should be less Core Audio chop-suey with that rate.

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #282 of 291
I've spent lots of time with both. DA8 is an excellent DAC - slightly warm and smooth on top. Now that I think about it, it's not a huge departure from the PureDAC in a lot of ways. The PureDAC sounds a little more balanced and neutral while still maintaining that "analog" feel, while the Yulong does seem slightly colored. Just a tad. 

The chief difference would be using them as an all in one device. DA8 has a pretty nice integrated headphone amp on board - it does a good job and is better than a lot of entry level headphone amps. The BMC, however, has a balanced headphone output that is truly special, competitive with more expensive stand alone amps. 

If using as a DAC only, it isn't a massive difference. As an all in one, the difference is pretty significant. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back