B.M.C. Announces PureDAC
Jul 7, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #181 of 291
I have no doubt the PureDAC's headamp is highly transparent, and this is why I use it perhaps 25% of the time for extended listening sessions.

My reasons for 'preferring' my tube amp are complicated. I tune neutral., i.e. I don't like syrupy, tubey sound. If there is a point of exaggeration, it may be that some tracks seem more dynamic, almost as if the Decware decompresses. Technically, it may be the response isn't quite linear and that rather than further compressing the dynamic range or faithfully reproducing the dynamics as mixed/mastered, the amp is expanding the range slightly. I'm no EE and this is sheer speculation; suffice it to say this is what it "sounds like" it's doing!

The other point is that without a doubt the amp adds even-order harmonics and puristically this is certainly coloration. However, all the music I listen to contains significant 2nd-order harmonics anyway. I don't listen to pure tones. I'm fairly sure my ability to distinguish the "pure Bosendorfer concert grand" from the "tube-augmented Bosendorfer" is pretty slim! The difference I think is likely to be subtle.

A third reason is the Decware Taboo sounded terrific before I bought the PureDAC. After, it sounded downright stunning.

The final reason: I tinkered with tubes a little when I was a teenager and I loved them. So, not surprisingly I actually like having a tube amp sitting in my room. Somehow, whether it is the ultimate in amplifier performance or not, the designer at Decware (and makers of other fine tube amps) succeeded in making something that sounds terrific. What's not to like?
wink.gif

WRT my comment about the Meier SS amp (the Classic), it too just happens to be an excellent amp. At present it and the PureDAC headamp are my "reference" when I make tube changes to one of the Decwares.

One of these days I plan to compare the PureDAC and Meier and decide which is 'the best'. I suspect it may be the PureDAC because of the advantages of BMC's 'pure' topology. This comparison awaits time and opportunity.

So I have had a new amp for a week now and I will say that I also prefer the BMC through my tube amp vs just the internal headphone out. My amp is a Red Wine Audio Cassabria, and it makes everything a little smoother and just more pleasant to listen to. Its actually just a hybrid amp with a FET drive stage but it definitely has a little bit more lively sound than the BMC straight. But, the BMC is really not far behind. I would be really curious to hear what a no-holds-barred headphone DAC built on the BMC topology would sound like (instead of being built to a price point, as Carlos said previously.)

Interestingly, my Alpha Dogs improve more with the tube amp than my LCD-3s. The LCD-3s are much smoother (but still seem more detailed) than the ADs. With the LCD-3 the change is more subtle but still definite. I have a few different tubes, some of which sound more "tubey" than others. The PureDAC does serve as a good neutral reference. At any rate, I could definitely have been happy to use just the BMC, but since I have this other amp, I will probably just keep it...

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #182 of 291

I would be really curious to hear what a no-holds-barred headphone DAC built on the BMC topology would sound like (instead of being built to a price point, as Carlos said previously.)

I actually like the idea that I could start with the PureDac alone, then add a tube or other headphone amp(s) if I chose to , as I gain more listening experience without feeling like I need to replace the PureDac.   I'm saving up for it.

I would also love to hear the no-holds barred version !

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #183 of 291
I agree with you that it is nice that the PureDAC responds to upgrading with an amp. It would be worth it's money even without the headphone section just as a dac.

I actually like the idea that I could start with the PureDac alone, then add a tube or other headphone amp(s) if I chose to , as I gain more listening experience without feeling like I need to replace the PureDac.   I'm saving up for it.

I would also love to hear the no-holds barred version !

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #184 of 291
  In Portland it should be http://www.trueaudiophile.com.
A very nice guy and true music lover. I got badly sick at CES and he helped from the first day until the show cleanup!

Hi Carlos,    I had an appointment with Gary Alpern of TrueAudiophile  today, and got to hear the PureDac.  Just as you said, Gary is great, very experienced, and very humble.  He listens and cares about what you care about. It was one of the best experiences I have had with an audiophile service.   Gary is the kind of person I can imagine building a lasting relationship with.  In addition to BMC, Gary has some really wonderful products and in depth experience with them.   Thanks for pointing me to him!    

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #185 of 291
Hello,

It seems you found more than what you were looking for
wink_face.gif
I once started with a top headphone and an open-reel tape recorder (sorry no USB audio then). But visits to some shows and good dealer demos let me realize that it is possible to reallyenjoy music at home.
Nowadays it is not any different: There is so much junk sound out there that few could imagine there could be such a degree of emotionally involving music reproduction.

Wish you a lot of fun whith whatever gear you decide to use!

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #186 of 291
I went to see Gary at TrueAudiophile to see and hear the PureDac sounded wonderful to me.  I wasn't doing A/B testing, but what I heard through amps/speakers and through headphones had no weaknesses that I could identify.  The features, appearance and build quality were wonderful as well.  The PureDac is at the top of my list.

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #187 of 291
@JCCI  please can you help me with the correct settings in Audirvana for playing DSD files?

I cannot get 1.5.12 to play DSD audio...

Do I need .dsf files or must I convert them to .dff?  At the moment I cannot get it to play either.

I can also not find any discussion web links as specified in the manual in order to optimize my Mac for audio playback on the Puredac

many thanks

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #188 of 291
Hi Guido,

First of all .dsf or .dff is a question of the playback software only, but not the DAC. Audirvana should play both properly.
Settings:
- Preferred Audio device should be "XMOS USB 2.0 Audio Out"
- Native DSD compatibility should be "DSD over PCM". This term is not related to any conversion of a native DSD stream to PCM. In that case the PureDAC also would not display "DSD". DoP is just a clever and very compatible transportation protocol for native DSD via USB. The reoson is that there is a clearly defined transportation protocoll inside the USB 2.0 audio specifications for PCM, but not for DSD. DoP fits the native DSD data just using the existing PCM data structure, embedding an information for the DAC that this is not PCM. At the DAC side we receive a clean native DSD data stream.
- I suggest using the direct mode and you can try a little with the integer mode.
- I also suggest you give it some RAM for buffering (btw: latency is irrelevant for playback!)
- You may allow a switching latency of 0.5s

For Mac I like Audirvana best, but it is clearly behind Widows with Asio or Linux with MPD, which sounds best to me. The last two sound anyway quite similar.

Hope it helps!

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #190 of 291
Anyone try the internal headphone output against a CEC HD53N amplifier? They're designed by the same guy and I know the CEC - it has a very resolute sound with a warm midrange and a dry bass that's not "punchy" like my current Headroom Triple Stack.

Jul 20, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #191 of 291
  Anyone try the internal headphone output against a CEC HD53N amplifier? They're designed by the same guy and I know the CEC - it has a very resolute sound with a warm midrange and a dry bass that's not "punchy" like my current Headroom Triple Stack.

I recently listened to the BMC PureDac via its headphone output with Pandora VI headphones by Final Audio Design.   I didn't have an opportunity to compare with other phones, and I had never heard the Final Audio headphones.   But what I heard was quite wonderful. The mids and highs were great and from my memory the combo sounded as good (but different) than much more expensive gear (such as Audeze with Hugo,  or HD800 with their own amp).   I stress that I was not able to compare, but I was definitely surprised how great the sound was overall. Couldn't identify anything objectionable.   My only complaint about the Final Audio phones was that they sat on my ears rather than around them.  

Jul 29, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #192 of 291
  Hi Guido,

First of all .dsf or .dff is a question of the playback software only, but not the DAC. Audirvana should play both properly.
Settings:
- Preferred Audio device should be "XMOS USB 2.0 Audio Out"
- Native DSD compatibility should be "DSD over PCM". This term is not related to any conversion of a native DSD stream to PCM. In that case the PureDAC also would not display "DSD". DoP is just a clever and very compatible transportation protocol for native DSD via USB. The reoson is that there is a clearly defined transportation protocoll inside the USB 2.0 audio specifications for PCM, but not for DSD. DoP fits the native DSD data just using the existing PCM data structure, embedding an information for the DAC that this is not PCM. At the DAC side we receive a clean native DSD data stream.
- I suggest using the direct mode and you can try a little with the integer mode.
- I also suggest you give it some RAM for buffering (btw: latency is irrelevant for playback!)
- You may allow a switching latency of 0.5s

For Mac I like Audirvana best, but it is clearly behind Widows with Asio or Linux with MPD, which sounds best to me. The last two sound anyway quite similar.

Hope it helps!

Clear explanation, thanks for this. Will be looking out for reviews of this Dac.

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #195 of 291
  Thanks. Didn't miss that one though, That review got me interested.  :)
I meant more reviews here on HF.

I'm not sure why more people around here aren't using the PureDAC. Or maybe they are but just aren't super vocal about it. It really is a killer all-in-one device with very little compromise. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back