B.M.C. Announces PureDAC
Apr 6, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #151 of 291

I agree the DAC is great as I have it connected into my system paired against a PWD MKII and it holds its own very well.  I run it balance into a RSA Apache.  The PWD MKII is also running balance into the Apache.  On the headphone amplifier side, I think it is a very good headphone amplifier but I prefer my RSA Apache or even the RSA Raptor to the PureDac's headphone amplifier. 

Makes sense. I'm not familiar with the RSA stuff aside from a few of the older portable, but the amps you mention are both fairly expensive dedicated units. Si it makes sense that the built-in amp might not beat them. Still, I find it pretty amazing for what it is. 

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #152 of 291

Makes sense. I'm not familiar with the RSA stuff aside from a few of the older portable, but the amps you mention are both fairly expensive dedicated units. Si it makes sense that the built-in amp might not beat them. Still, I find it pretty amazing for what it is. 

When you look at the total package for the level of DAC and a very good headphone amplifier, the $1695 price point is actually very amazing.  I participated in the LH Labs Indiegogo campaign and look forward to comparing the two.

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #153 of 291
Hey Mr. Grandberg, I had no idea you contributed to PtA...   Or that you were so handsome.
wink_face.gif

Congratulations on continuing to turn your love into something you also get (at least a little?) money, credentials, and fame for, in ever greater quantities.  You put the GRAND in GRANDBERG.

May 12, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #154 of 291
I just snagged one of these second hand for a song. I can't wait for it to get here. I am expecting it to be a big step up over my iFi stack.

Jun 28, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #155 of 291
I just found out about the BMC products, read some reviews, and I'm very excited about their system.   I am looking for my first DAC, and been thinking about dual balanced out (headphones and later speaker amps), DSD capability etc. The BMC Dac seems to have all the features on my list. Plus, very interesting technology.  Eventually , adding their amp, and maybe their speakers, could certainly be an ultimate system for me. Seems like a real breakthough in its price range. 

Jun 28, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #157 of 291

Not finding many dealers, just Aaudio in Colorado.  Hope to find some on the west coast.   Any recommendations?

I'm in the Bay Area CA and I dealt with Brian at Aaudio, as suggested by BMC. He was extremely helpful. Not sure if there is anyone closer. 

Jun 28, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #158 of 291
I have had one of these for over a month now and am using it as a standalone head-fi dock with Alpha Dogs and LCD-3s. It works VERY well and I feel very little need for a dedicated headphone amp. The comments about timbre accuracy and soundstage are spot on. The sound is very precise but also smooth and fluid with a touch of warmth. I would like a chance to compare it with the far more heralded Hugo as a standalone DAC/amp, but doubt I'll get the chance.

Jun 28, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #159 of 291
  I have had one of these for over a month now and am using it as a standalone head-fi dock with Alpha Dogs and LCD-3s. It works VERY well and I feel very little need for a dedicated headphone amp. The comments about timbre accuracy and soundstage are spot on. The sound is very precise but also smooth and fluid with a touch of warmth. I would like a chance to compare it with the far more heralded Hugo as a standalone DAC/amp, but doubt I'll get the chance.

Yeah unfortunately when my Hugo review loaner arrived I was just sending back the PureDAC, so I wasn't able to do any real comparisons. 

Jun 28, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #160 of 291

Yeah unfortunately when my Hugo review loaner arrived I was just sending back the PureDAC, so I wasn't able to do any real comparisons. 

Bummer. I would be curious to know your relative impressions even if it was off-record. People talk about the Hugo as if it were a life-changing device, anything less would be a let-down (based on the enthusiasm of its adopters.)

Jun 28, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #162 of 291
^ Agreed. At times I do appreciate the built-in amp feeding T1 or LCD2 or 3F (balanced hp out), but generally prefer my Decware CSP2 or Taboo II (both tubes) or Meier Classic (SS) run off the RCA (single-ended) outputs of the PureDAC.

Following on from project86's review I plan to try the balanced output into my power amps at some point.

The DAC really is superb: TME it is extended and well-controlled throughout the range. It has detail and low-level retrieval without over-emphasizing any of these attributes. It's a "look at the music" rather than a "look at me" DAC.

John, I too would be interested in any ball-park thoughts you might be able to offer about PureDAC versus Hugo, although in my case I'm more interested in Yggdrasil as possible competition!

Jun 28, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #163 of 291
Hi,
In the bay area it would be Audio Vision SF.
A very active online dealer would be Moon Audio

Beside that: Thanks so much for the really nice feedback!
We are now close to finish the PureAmp and surely won't run out of ideas.

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #164 of 291
PureAmp? Very interesting.

In reference to the addition of tubes to the equation, I actually have just purchased a tube amp simply because I have always loved tubes and stumbled across a very good deal. I haven't received it yet, but I have wondered what it will add. I have always believed in "system synergy" and believed that proof was in the end sound. In the case of the PureDAC, however, it seems the headphone section isn't really a headphone amp, but rather the DAC output stage that can drive headphones. To those who find they prefer other amps, why is this? Do you feel it in some ways drives the headphones more appropriately? I don't see how there could be lower noise or lower distortion (especially in light of the tendency towards tubes.) Philosophically I want to believe in the "straight-wire-with-gain" philosophy even though I know system synergy is ultimately the most important aspect. My expectation (and hope) is that the new amp will enrich and color (in a good way) the listening experience, but I actually expect a slight loss of absolute resolution.

I guess the ultimate test would be to connect the PureDAC balanced outputs to the most reputable and transparent amp around (Headamp GS-X ii?) and see if it outperforms the balanced output. My guess is that it would be nearly indistinguishable. The GS-X certainly could outperform the PureDAC output, but it would require a better DAC to do it.

Jun 29, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #165 of 291
A little background about the headphone stage of the PureDAC:
First of all it delivers up to 13Vrms and a current not less than any other headphone amp. There is nothing a headphone amp is delivering differently, beside of course, individual sound flavours depending on the product. In addition the PureDAC headphone part delivers the signal voltage and the signal current from separate sources phase independent! This is very unique and a significant advantage when driving headphones with strong phase shifts - in other words: dynamic headphones with a strong motor (Beyer T series, Fostex TH900, AKG...).
The fact that is doesn't need an additional amplifier to provide the above specs and also delivers a lossless volume control are an achievement and surely not a simple "add-on"!
So far almost all comparsions to the PureDAC's internal headphone stage were with clearly more expensive gear - look a John's review. Of course we are able to deliver more quality for a thousand bucks (or even more) extra. The hard part is to deliver quality in a way people can afford the product and everything else we could do in addition.
The PureDAC is the very first "DAPC" (Digital Analog Power Converter) and as a new concept it has quite some space for further improvements.

The PureAmp is already inside our latest catalogue although we expect the product earliest in September. Specifically the use of the B.M.C. link with the shared DIGM and CI operation mode will be attractive for PureDAC owners.

What we do is not just synergy between products. We are establishing new ways of component interaction, shortening the signal path significantly and reducing losses. Naturally those operation modes are incompatible to traditional standards and that's why we always also offer a compatible operation mode.
Design philosophy has to be founded on scientific research and this means to search for better ways to preserve music. But this would be a discussion that belongs to some non product specific place.

Hope this explanation provides a little insight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back