Ayre Acoustics "Codex" DAC/Headphone Amp
Sep 21, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #46 of 856
I had a taste of what the dac is capable of as a standalone at Berkeley Music Lovers.
More than just convincing to my tired ears.... to my eyes, well, that is a whole other discussion. At least it is compact, a remarkable achievement for sure.

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #47 of 856
How does it compare to the QB-9 DSD?

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #49 of 856
So the Codex has finally started shipping? Anyone have any feedback? I have a QB-9DSD based headphone system and supposedly the Codex is within spitting distance of the QB-9 as a dac, and I would venture to say that their amp section should be pretty excellent. 

Their spec sheet is a little werid though. The headphone output is listed as voltage output, the peak voltage is listed at 7 volts. For a 110ohm headphone (my LCD-3F) this is a not a particularly impressive spec of 450mW peak and 315mW rms. That said, if it can deliver the current instantaneously then it should realistically be just fine. Still though, it would be an $1800 dac/amp with a power-stage that appears a bit weak.

Oct 24, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #50 of 856
I received the codex and had about 5 hours of listening time  coupled with 16 hours of break in time.
Obviously the following is my first impression, scratching the surface.
However, the quality of the device is already apparent.
Right out of the box the codex generates a convincing sound paired with the latest generation Audeze LCD3.
My interim midrange  schiit dac and amps (meant to fire Grados's) and the Woo Audio WA7, a loner from a friend, are clearly inferior.

Now, here are my specific (hopefully not too premature) observations exemplified by two recordings:

Valery Gergiev's Shostakovich 9th:
Wow... This was my best listening experience of Shostakovich to date, spare some live performances.
The background's darkness and other gains added a lot of separation to the instruments.
The added percussion's punch, the cello's debts and airy floating violins  brought me closer to this complex recording.
Lastly, the soundstage seems right, far more open than that of the Schiit's and surpassingly more open to the Woo as well.

Currentzis's recording of Mozart's figaro:
This is possibly the brightest and most attacking Mozart recording I have listened too.
The LCD3's natural and slightly amber sound architecture is not so apparent here once the violins and clarinets and wood winds rise at once. 
The trebles were exhausting me a bit, surprisingly with some grain that seemed totally absent in all other passages and pieces. I could not replicate this effect with other recordings, yet I think that the Codex will make the listing experience more demanding, not sure if marathon listing session will be possible with such definition. (I have some inner ear issues... a little atypical in this regard). 
Soundstage increased a great deal. The voices were immediate  and clear, heightening the already impressive mid ranges of my LCD3's.

Bottom line so far:
Impressive though all ranges, great match to the LCD3's.
Compact and portable!! (neutral appearance, but not the best looking device)
Like the fact that the dac can be a stand alone for other systems, supposly matching Ayres higher end amp's

I am concerned that my custom aftermarket silver cables (yet to arrived but ordered) will brighten the trebles to far, would not surprise me if the cables and up for sale at the forum :)

Oct 24, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #51 of 856
Originally Posted by stthui /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bottom line so far:
Impressive though all ranges, great match to the LCD3's.
Compact and potable!! (neutral appearance, but not the best looking device)
Like the fact that the dac can be a stand alone for other systems, supposly matching Ayres higher end amp's

^This^

I've found the Codex pairs well with Audeze headphones in general. The shop where I work uses one to drive either LCD-2s or EL-8s (Closed) in balanced for our headphone demos. Fed by a Mac book with Audirvana. Great piece for the money. Love it as a preamp too. 

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #52 of 856
Thanks for the updates, please keep them coming. I was a little concerned about the codex having the power to drive the LCD-3s convincingly, but it sounds like it is a good match. I am thinking of condensing my system and I think the Codex may be my choice. I just wish it had a standard 4-pin XLR on the front panel for balanced instead of the wonky 3.5mm jacks

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #53 of 856
  Thanks for the updates, please keep them coming. I was a little concerned about the codex having the power to drive the LCD-3s convincingly, but it sounds like it is a good match. I am thinking of condensing my system and I think the Codex may be my choice. I just wish it had a standard 4-pin XLR on the front panel for balanced instead of the wonky 3.5mm jacks

With my knowledge, there is no drop in sound quality having the 3.5mm.
I condensed my system, the size of the device allows me to travel with the setup.
I can not imagine a more compact Dac/Amp?preamp in this class.

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #55 of 856
Listened to one of these yesterday with LCD-2F and HD800. Sounded harsh/bright, but with good bass. Not at all what I hoped to hear - maybe it's the DAC section but for the price I was expecting to love it.

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #56 of 856
I had a Codex in my system for a week in September. As a result I have ordered one. I didn't audition the headphone amp side of it as I intended it to be part of a hi-fi system that would ultimately drive an amplifier connected to floorstanding speakers.

I was very impressed by the performance of the Codex as a DAC which bested a Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 DSD SE. An Ayre QB-9 DSD version is crisper but the Codex wound up more enjoyable, a tad warmer (Ayre can be a bit clinical sometimes).

I expect to get my Codex sometime this week. It's taken about two months to go from order to shipping and I am very much looking forward to actually having this here.

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #57 of 856
  Listened to one of these yesterday with LCD-2F and HD800. Sounded harsh/bright, but with good bass. Not at all what I hoped to hear - maybe it's the DAC section but for the price I was expecting to love it.

Not my experience at all. I listened to the Codex with the Sennheiser HD 600 (balanced), Etymotic ER-4S, and NAD Viso HP50. It had a very enchanting, pure midrange with good treble extension and well proportioned and tuneful bass. In no way was it harsh or bright. If so, I hope you told the dealer because it might be defective.

Nov 19, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #60 of 856
NVM. Local Definitive Audio has one. FYI for those wanting to audition one in the Seattle area; they have the usual suspects to listen with (HD800, LCD3, OPPO-PM1), but not in balanced configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back